No announcement yet.

New Schools for Edmonton...Not Enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Between 1986 - 1989 I was bussed from southeast Millwoods to Ottewell Junior high. Most of my grade 6 class was bussed come grade 7. There was only 2 Junior Highs in Millwoods (3 if you counted Ellerslie) so priority were the students closest. We were out of luck and had no choice. I don't recall it being the biggest of deal to parents either, granted it sucked but back in the 80s there wasn't really money for anything, let alone new schools. And hey, back in the 80s we were still allowed to be kids. The school situation changed in 1991 when TD Baker Junior High opened.

Parents today coddle their kids to such extremes that now it IS a big deal to have to bus. Little Johnny has never walked to school, never ridden his bike there and has always been driven, for his entire short life. Heaven forbid he takes the bus at 12 years old for a half hour or an hour every day, now it's a "safety issue" because the helicopter parents can't hover over their kids and something *might* happen. Nothing ever does but try telling that to the overprotective parent.

That's half the issue right there.
    Last edited by Kitlope; 15-02-2014, 01:14 PM.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

^also we wonder why kids are so chubby these days.
      be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

I personally believe our "underutilized" schools are that way because they're falling apart. I know people who leave good, mature neighbourhoods because they want their kids in the well-equipped shiny school.

So let's replace a few of these old, empty schools with some new ones and get on with it already.
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

I think Edmonton's schools need to make use of the big data available to make a strong business case to our government. For example, they could use the pre-school population for planning future schools.
          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

11 Calgary schools to 3 Edmonton...
            Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
              I personally believe our "underutilized" schools are that way because they're falling apart. I know people who leave good, mature neighbourhoods because they want their kids in the well-equipped shiny school.

So let's replace a few of these old, empty schools with some new ones and get on with it already.
              They should be revamped and we should bus kids there....
              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

^while I agree it's not what voters In shinny new neighbourhoods want to hear. In a way, Edmonton is better off not getting all these new schools, it should get something in return though. Those 7 schools could pay for better refurbishment in Edmonton or a better school bus system, rather than asking for the same, Edmonton should demand something better.
                Last edited by moahunter; 18-02-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

i dont get why this issue has come up in the first place.

are there not census numbers? birth rate numbers? immigration numbers? development permit numbers?

shouldn't the growth have been accounted for using all these available tools years ago?

i feel like the growth of this province is in the hands of incompetent doorknobs!
                  be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Working...
                  X