Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Conrad 84

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/08/a...nrad-dead.html
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Award-winning journalist Christie Blatchford dead at 68

Well-known national newspaper columnist Christie Blatchford has died at 68, according to the newspaper she worked for.

The Quebec-born Blatchford, who worked at the National Post, Globe and Mail and both the Toronto Sun and Star, was diagnosed with late-stage lung cancer in the fall of 2019.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...d-68-1.5460763
      Full disclosure.....I am not a fan of her columns.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
        Award-winning journalist Christie Blatchford dead at 68

Full disclosure.....I am not a fan of her columns.
        I liked her style, but didn't always agree with her opinions. She was a very hard working journalist and a good communicator. Even when I didn't agree with her, she got me engaged and thinking about what she was writing about.

Comment

• I loved what Christie had to say. She was, imho, one of a kind. RIP Christie. You'll be missed.
          Animals are my passion.

Comment

• Blatchford is a big loss - very respected journalist no matter what side of the fence people are on.

Comment

• Hahaha, no.

No respect for anyone who advocates for intolerance & defends the intolerant.

(Don't make me post the Popper cartoon, guys.)
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
                Blatchford is a big loss - very respected journalist no matter what side of the fence people are on.
                Yeah, nothing like defending the guys who gang raped Rehtaeh Parsons, claimed that the evidence was faulty because you couldn't' identify them in the photos they took and basically blamed the victim because she was drinking and under age.

One thing she totally ignored was the fact that the rapists admitted the took the pictures, that they were the ones in the pictures and they were the ones that shared them.

But she's just gotta blame the one that was raped while calling the rapists totally innocent.

Comment

• Also didn't Blatchford write a column in poor taste while Jack Layton was on his death bed?

It's amusing most mainstream media folks are treating her as a saint after her death. Gotta love the hypocrisy!

Comment

Also didn't Blatchford write a column in poor taste while Jack Layton was on his death bed?

It's amusing most mainstream media folks are treating her as a saint after her death. Gotta love the hypocrisy!
                    She was, at various points, employed by the Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail, the Sun papers, and the National Post, with her most recent stint at the Globe(Canada's paper of record) ending less than a decade ago. So she was very much part of the respectable mainstream media, and if we're talking about hypocrisy, I'd say it would have been pretty hypocritical for the papers that employed her to suddenly treat her as a pariah after she died.

That said, I didn't generally agree with her worldview, and only read her column when it was about some other issue that I had already been following. For the record, though, she didn't always take reactionary positions, as for example. when she defended the decision to transfer Terri-Lynne McClintick to a healing lodge.

(I will say that I found Blatchford's defense of McClintick a little odd, especially when she implied that McClintick was a victim in the same way that Stafford was. Seemed to be a certain amount of paternalism in that: "oh boo hoo hoo, poor little girl, raised by a stripper, of course she turned out badly." Can't imagine the same argument being made about a male child-killer, even if it were shown that he had suffered an abusive childhood. But oh well.)

Comment

Probably to ensure that when they pass on, that other media types will write something nice about them.

Truth be told, how often have you gone to a funeral and during the eulogy, the speaker extols all the departed's vices and worst traits???
                      Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Truth be told, how often have you gone to a funeral and during the eulogy, the speaker extols all the departed's vices and worst traits???
                        Never. But then, I don't think I've ever gone to the funeral of someone I genuinely disliked. If I did, I wonder what I would think, sitting there listening to the officiant say all sorts of nice stuff about someone I considered a total jerk.

(That said, I acknowledge that it is appropriate to say nice things even about a total jerk, since the fact that you're having the funeral to begin with means there are at least some people who held him or her in affection).

Comment

• talk about a tough crowd...

kind of makes one want to live forever just to avoid the sanctimony and self-righteousness.

i didn’t always agree with everything blatchford wrote but i’ve been married more than 47 years because we both know it’s impossible to agree on absolutely everything all of the time. we also know that disagreeing on something doesn’t make either one of us evil.

blatchford believed in what she wrote and she put the work into her stories and backstories and she shared that as well as her conclusions for her readers to agree with or not. one might well disagree with some of those conclusions but not with her having arrived at them openly and honestly.

we probably need more of that across the political spectrum and we all need to read it across the political spectrum critically and with open minds, not dismissively for whatever self serving reason we want to use as an excuse.
                          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Tony Fernandez, 57
                            https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/legend...t-57-1.4814202
                            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Probably to ensure that when they pass on, that other media types will write something nice about them.

You can say the same thing about a wedding. How often do you hear the bridesmaid trash the bride?

It's not the journalist's job to be cheerleading when writing a well-known person's obituary. But it seemed that way when the media was sugar-coating Blatchford's career.

p.s...... Is it too soon to talk about Kobe's sexual assault trial?

Comment

You can say the same thing about a wedding. How often do you hear the bridesmaid trash the bride?

It's not the journalist's job to be cheerleading when writing a well-known person's obituary. But it seemed that way when the media was sugar-coating Blatchford's career.

p.s...... Is it too soon to talk about Kobe's sexual assault trial?
                                The thing is, though, that when a journalist dies, the newspapers, or at least the ones who hired her, sort of become the story. Because they were her employers, and so we can assume that they were approving enough of her views to publish them.

So, what exactly is the Globe and Mail, for example, supposed to say? "Christie Blatchford, who was employed by this newspaper from 2003 to 2011, routinely used her column to promote bigotry and racism"?

Comment

Working...
                                X