No announcement yet.

Taste of Edmonton 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^There's actually more room at Churchill and surrounding streets. They had to reduce the size for the Leg.
    www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by North Guy66 View Post
      Announcement: Taste of Edmonton is heading back to Churchill Square in 2020!

https://twitter.com/TasteOfEdm/statu...14576240594945

The majority of comments on the Twitter thread disapproves of going back to Churchill Square.
      Personally, I think this is a big mistake. Been going to this event for the last 10 years, and having it at the Leg plaza was a refreshing eye-opener. Lots and lots more room and the surrounding green area really complimented it. Everyone I spoke to agreed.Too bad those in charge can't see it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
        ^There's actually more room at Churchill and surrounding streets. They had to reduce the size for the Leg.
        The size of the festival proper may be smaller but the Legislature Grounds as a venue is a far larger, more open & inviting space than the mostly-concrete Churchill.

Churchill is better for the restaurants & worse for the people, vice versa at the Legislature Grounds. And there's no way to make Churchill better for people without a time machine.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

How much extra did it cost to offer the walk-with-booze feature this year? Just extra volunteers?
          I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

^My understanding is the liability insurance costs alone required by the Leg, along with less sales at noon hour are enough to bring them back to the square.
            www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
              The size of the festival proper may be smaller but the Legislature Grounds as a venue is a far larger, more open & inviting space than the mostly-concrete Churchill.

Churchill is better for the restaurants & worse for the people, vice versa at the Legislature Grounds. And there's no way to make Churchill better for people without a time machine.
              Again, personally we go there to eat at the festival, not go to restaurants. Can't speak for others.

Comment

^My understanding is the liability insurance costs alone required by the Leg, along with less sales at noon hour are enough to bring them back to the square.
                Makes sense, and that may be more than enough to guide the decision, so it is what it is. Although my own selfish wants are not being met!

Comment

They also say that providing washrooms at the Leg cost them over $30,000 in rentals that they didn't have at Churchill

Comment

Well hopefully by the time the festival is back that the library will be open and more importantly that the LRT construction will be much further along, meaning that access wont be so blocked as much as it is now.
                    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

A reasonable assumption on this move would be that they (Taste) would have to adhere to TWMBO..those who must be obeyed. Churchill is city-owned, the Leg grounds are not. The City has more control, and perhaps more beneficial to itself, by having the major event in their square than on a Provincial one. In the years that I've been in this realm, you'd be amazed (or not) as to how some small, subtle politics can suddenly become a major roadblock/decision-maker.

Insurance would also be a huge issue. I don't pretend to know the arrangement between the Taste and the CoE, but there is the potential to de-risk the overall equation with fewer people exercising "control" when they also provide (or not) funding/subsidies. I know I am going through insurance hell right now due to a similar issue where a governing body you can't control makes a decision that ends up removing your ability to execute your obligations - no matter how correct the external party's decision is.
                      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Working...
                      X