Taste of Edmonton 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taste of Edmonton 2019

The Taste of Edmonton returning to Capital Plaza this year. The chief organizer is not keen on this location for several reasons - I say let's prove him wrong! I got my advance tickets already - however, I bought the paper tickets at Co-op since the online ordering is just a tad too complicated for my liking.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The new layout looking nice so far, but gotta wonder how the line up management will be

Comment

What are the reasons why they dislike the Capital Boulevard location? I'm assuming the space is much tighter relative to Churchill Square and not much for after hours public parking? I personally really like it.

Sometimes I think a lot of Edmontonians either forget how gorgeous the Leg grounds are or haven't been around in ages since they renovated it into Centennial Plaza. This is a nice way to get people to realize what they're missing out on.
      I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Comment

Decent vegetarian selection (though there's a few erroneously-vegetarian-flagged items) this year, but man oh man is it pricey.

Still, close to home so I'll likely wander down & check it out.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

No doubt, The Works fits better at leg grounds. Taste of E? Not so much, it's better suited to Churchill.

Capital blvd/Centennial plaza are lovely spaces and frankly, ToE is kind of a grimy event that does not showcase its location. Churchill is a bit more generic and looks improved when packed tight with people.

Street performers works well in OS. But it was fine in the square.

If I were the DBA or DECL I'd be lobbying hard to put The Artwalk on Capital blvd.

Comment

Concur in full.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

^
              ^^
              Typical of the idiotic comments found here.

Art Walk has always been in Old Strathcona, was founded there, funded there, and grown there from tireless grassroots endeavor.

It should move to DT for what valid reason? That IanO wants it there.

Educate yourselves a little before posting mindless drivel.

Grow your own DT.

http://art-walk.ca/history
              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Originally posted by nickv View Post
                What are the reasons why they dislike the Capital Boulevard location? I'm assuming the space is much tighter relative to Churchill Square and not much for after hours public parking? I personally really like it.

Sometimes I think a lot of Edmontonians either forget how gorgeous the Leg grounds are or haven't been around in ages since they renovated it into Centennial Plaza. This is a nice way to get people to realize what they're missing out on.
                The chief organizer raised a few issues at a Yards meeting though I can't recall what they were. All I know is that I wanted to reach out and throttle the guy.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                  ^
                  ^^
                  Typical of the idiotic comments found here.

Art Walk has always been in Old Strathcona, was founded there, funded there, and grown there from tireless grassroots endeavor.

It should move to DT for what valid reason? That IanO wants it there.

Educate yourselves a little before posting mindless drivel.

Grow your own DT.

http://art-walk.ca/history

I wonder who they would be lobbying.

A quote from your link:

"The festival is a labour of love for the owner of The Paint Spot. She has administered and supported the event since the beginning in 1995." - from replacement's linked article

It is my understanding that The Whyte Avenue Art Walk is a major time commitment for the owner of The Paint Spot and after the next one its continuing is not a certainty.
                  The next one would be the 26th walk that Kim Fjordbotten has administered and I have heard that she doesn't plan on continuing with that role beyond then. Is there a transition plan in place, are the OSBA and The Old Strathcona Foundation prepared to take on a greater role in the administration of the walk?

Incidentally, this year's Art Walk was the first time I had ever gone to it. It was very impressive and was great to talk to the artists whose work we found inspiring. We spent about $600 on art and it is obvious that the local businesses benefit greatly from events like this.

Comment

^I've heard the same about The Paint Spot not continuing. Hence lobbying for new downtown corporate/arts-based partners who may want to get something going. Capital Blvd needs to not just sit like all the other ignored, unprogrammed city projects. I'm sure other ideas are welcome - even from the cranks.

Other Artwalks (or "tireless grassroots endeavours") include: Stony Plain, Sherwood Park this year, Leduc. In the city, both Riverbend Art in the Park and Strathearn Artwalk are large events. Things change, it's okay.

Comment

Oooh yes, and let's have the Fringe DT too!

I swear, some of my fellow DT citizens make me embarrassed to admit I live here.

Leave the Artwalk where it began. If, by some chance, its grassroots support on Whyte should dissipate, then let others step in ...

Though 124th Street with its assembly of galleries makes a whole lot more sense than Capital Blvd.

But that's just me on a cranky Tuesday as it starts to EFFIN rain again!
                      ... gobsmacked

Comment

Sorry, and to get back on track, not sure what the Taste of Big E organizers' troubles are with the Ledge plaza.

Maybe that any resto with a deep fryer isn't allowed and instead banished to 99 Ave?

Selfishly, I loved the plaza, with the tiered seating opportunities, stage backdrop of the river valley, and slowly lit ledge dome.

If not there, b/c even after LRT construction is finished, not sure Churchill would work - maybe Rice Howard Way?
                        ... gobsmacked

Comment

I'm going sometime this weekend - that is, if the effing weather finally behaves

Comment

I loved TOE when it first started, then it got silly, smaller portions, that cost more. Heck , sampling at Costco is better..lol j/k
                            If you go, enjoy! I heard 32 next week, and the weekend looks good..
                            Animals are my passion.

Comment

I've not talked to anyone that thought the move from Churchill sq to Leg was a bad idea. Everyone raves about the new location. More space, easier to walk around, more grass, huge leg grounds to take your food and go sit down and enjoy. Kids loved playing in the fountains after their food. We find it easier to get to, and ironically, easier to park.

We stopped going to the churchill sq location as it was getting too crowded and hard to navigate a stroller with 3 kids. capital plaza is much easier in this regard.

But yes, agree that its ridiculously expensive nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                              X