Taste of Edmonton 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taste of Edmonton 2018

With room to roam and looser liquor laws, Taste of Edmonton's new site gets thumbs up

Anyone check this out yet?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Walked through the site yesterday. Looked good. May head over there for lunch today since it's close to work.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Comment

Awesome to see a good review. I enjoy Taste so I need to stop by...
      My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

The praise for the new site is interesting. Hope it works out well for the future.

It also may say something about Churchill Sq. and what it is best used for, and best not used for.

Comment

There was a mention of more seating available at the present Leg site. Where is that? Most people don't really like standing up and balancing drink and plate in hand while trying to eat. Are there a lot of tables on hand? There were quite a few at the former site and we could usually find one.

Atmosphere is probably better at this Leg site. Also options to make it a huge festival and have say outdoor concerts/drinks in back of leg and more food options there. At Legislature there is no space limitation. I wish it would expand and not just be contained to one plaza. Make it an uber TOE at least for Weekends and it could cope better with crowds. I hear the lineups are bad, which is good news..
          "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Was just down there. The new plaza has plenty of seating. There are rows of tables on 99th avenue and on the south side of the plaza. Had to wait a bit to get tickets but that was more due to the teller than the crowds. The lines beside me were moving along a good clip. No real lines for food beyond a minute or so that I could tell.

I wouldn't say it's better or worse than Churchill, which is plenty big, just different. I am pleased the city has another good space for summer events.
            Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 20-07-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I thought it looked like a better place to have it, more seating and open..I stopped going a few years ago, but a friend lives nearby, so we might pop down..
              Animals are my passion.

Comment

Reading some of the feedback in other places my memory of Churchill may be skewed. Been awhile since I went to ToE there since it's a fair walk from my office. Capital Square is nice and close for me so I'm planning on heading over a few times over the next week.

Comment

Saw one vendor on the news saying he's getting a bigger lunchtime crowd than what he had at Churchill (I think, at least -- I was half-distracted during the broadcast). Will be curious to check it out; glad to hear positive feedback about the new venue in any case.
                  “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

The site is better than expected I think. There are still some "crush" points at some of the vendors where you can't really move. With that being said I'm not sure if the site seems better because of the location, or if it is better because they had to re-think how they do some things. At Churchill it often seemed they just went with what was done last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
                      Was just down there. The new plaza has plenty of seating. There are rows of tables on 99th street and on the south side of the plaza. Had to wait a bit to get tickets but that was more due to the teller than the crowds. The lines beside me were moving along a good clip. No real lines for food beyond a minute or so that I could tell.

I wouldn't say it's better or worse than Churchill, which is plenty big, just different. I am pleased the city has another good space for summer events.
                      Thanks for the rundown. I will head out there sometime. Anybody see any good gluten free offerings?
                      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

There are rows of tables on 99th street....
                        That's quite a ways to be packing your botulism on a stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Dawg View Post
                          There are rows of tables on 99th street....
                          That's quite a ways to be packing your botulism on a stick.
                          Thanks, fixed to avenue.

Comment

Closed for tonight due to weather.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                              Closed for tonight due to weather.
                              I heard everything on the menu was going to be soup anyway.

This is one bad storm. Stay and play safe folks.

btw to anybody reading remove all stuff from highrise decks. The wind speeds are picking up planters, chairs and throwing them around. Anything light is dangerous on a HR deck right now. This storm kicks a punch with its wind speeds. Also virtually vertical rain. If you left windows open today good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X