Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCTV Melonville monument?

http://www.630ched.com/Channels/Reg/...spx?ID=1634023

A town that many of us invited into our homes every week may be honoured for it's contributions to Edmontonian culture.

It's been over three decades since the town of Melonville was made famous by the hit comedic series SCTV.

Steve Sandor editor of the Edmonton magazine Avenue is hoping to immortalize the famous town with a monument in our city.

He believes a monument would be a great attraction piece for Edmonton.

He says "I just think it would be a neat thing, kind of a conversation piece and an attraction for the city if we somehow could mark the fact that SCTV was here and claim it as our own"

Sandor adds that SCTV was exceptionally influential for many comedians and actors like John Candy and Dave Thomas just to name a few. You can sign the petition by visiting avenueedmonton.com. (JSL)
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Awesome idea. I love that show. My father worked at ITV/Global for 30+ years, so I had a few chances to poke around different parts of the (SCTV!) studios when I was a kid. I remember seeing pictures of various SCTV moments hung here and there, and it was a thrill to think about that connection (sidenote: must ask pop about those days). Whenever I watch SCTV, I think of Melonville as Edmonton (nuts to Toronto!).

The petition idea does not seem overly realistic though, particularly as no real petition has been created. Rather, readers of the article are being asked to "sign" by leaving comments. Ah well, I left one anyway. In the end, I doubt there will be enough support for this, but a monument sure would make me happy. Here's a better link to the article:

http://www.avenueedmonton.com/articl...ument-petition

Comment

Such a great idea. I don't know about a Melonville sign as the story suggests, but it would be pretty sweet if there was a place where you could take a pic with Bob & Doug on their set. Something commemorating John Candy would be pretty excellent too.

Comment

Don't forget the Schmenges and the citizens of Leutonia.
        Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Can we change a street name to Melonville and have statues/monuments of different characters scattered about? Not a far flung street either. Something in or near the core.

or even a Melonville themed pocket park? A place where people can go sit with Bob & Doug (& Hoser the dog) in front of a map of Canada, or Count Floyd coming out of his coffin?

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
            Can we change a street name to Melonville and have statues/monuments of different characters scattered about? Not a far flung street either. Something in or near the core.

or even a Melonville themed pocket park? A place where people can go sit with Bob & Doug (& Hoser the dog) in front of a map of Canada, or Count Floyd coming out of his coffin?

Oooooooooh a very scary thought boy's & girl's
            Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

So, Avenue magazine has created an official petition. You can sign it here:

http://avenueedmonton.com/articles/s...ument-petition

My friend Omar at Avenue tells me they've received encouragement from the Heritage Council already. So, this thing might actually happen!
              Last edited by bic; 04-01-2012, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Actually instead of a Melonville monument we could 1st build a statue of John Candy perhaps as Yosh Schenge, then at the appropriate time add another statue right beside it.

Comment

Yes....and put Mellonville (or the monument) on the street in front of the Beef n Booze (otherwise know as the Red Ox Inn)!

Comment

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-sctv-legends/

Comment

Bumping an 8 yr old thread because IT'S HAPPENING! At least in part. https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ring-covid-19/

Comment

We certainly need this right now. If you disagree Take off eh!

Comment

I think this is a really cool new statue for our city.
                          LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

A bit of good news in the sea of bad...thanks for bumping this thread Alex.L
                            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Working...
                            X