Whyte Avenue public urination.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whyte Avenue public urination.

So I'm at the fringe yesterday and whenever I'm in the area I like to walk about Whyte Avenue from say Gateway to 109th street.

Maybe it was the hot sun drying everything up but what do I smell as I look in storefronts? The strong smell of urine, in several locations, presumably from where people have been pissing repeatedly on entranceways and thinking this is somehow acceptable. It seems like the indented entranceways strongly speak "urinals" to the bladder challenged.

I'm looking around me at the obvious visitors to our fare city and wondering if they smell the stench as well.

Even smell of urine in front of food services and restaurant entrances. Yuck

Nothing as far as I'm concerned speaks "hovel" like the smell of urine.

Disgusting, and unacceptable.

I would even imagine the store owners wash and lysol their streetfronts on a regular basis.

We need some answers to this and some more public washrooms of course but a modicum of civilly respectful behavior would be nice. Would these same offenders **** on their own property or residence?

**** on that
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-08-2008, 02:37 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

maybe you should do a stakeout, find out the identities of these offenders and then go and **** on their property and leave a card saying "sucks doesn't it"

but in seriousness now i wonder how people get away with things like this in such a public area. there are so many people that could see you.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

^ my brother, a while back, used to be on shift as a cop on whyte. He said it's very common to see people urinating in the middle of public on a friday/saturday night - they used to write countless tickets for it. Doorways to restaurants, shops, right on the street...

The thing is, when you are on whyte at 2:00AM, chances are you're not sober enough to notice it.. I have. It's rank. One of the many reasons why I'm not attracted to Whyte as much as I used to.

And believe me, the police are doing the best they can. You can only have so many cops on a street at night before it becomes a police state.

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post
        maybe you should do a stakeout, find out the identities of these offenders and then go and **** on their property and leave a card saying "sucks doesn't it"

but in seriousness now i wonder how people get away with things like this in such a public area. there are so many people that could see you.
        This assumes a crowd with normal social conscience.

Originally posted by Kevin_Foster View Post
        ^ my brother, a while back, used to be on shift as a cop on whyte. He said it's very common to see people urinating in the middle of public on a friday/saturday night - they used to write countless tickets for it. Doorways to restaurants, shops, right on the street...

The thing is, when you are on whyte at 2:00AM, chances are you're not sober enough to notice it.. I have. It's rank. One of the many reasons why I'm not attracted to Whyte as much as I used to.

And believe me, the police are doing the best they can. You can only have so many cops on a street at night before it becomes a police state.
        Bingo.

I would dare say its almost socially sanctioned behavior amongst the late night drunk crowd.

Somebody urinates or has friends that urinate on public buildings and either don't do anything, don't say anything, or sit back and laugh about it.

Its obviously become frequent which is pretty disgusting.

I'd like a Whyte Avenue area back that doesn't involve walking around piles of vomit, feces, or stepping in puddles of urine.

Pretty disgusting what the whole area looks like any Saturday or Sunday morn.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

I wonder if the city has some sort of mobile high pressure hose system (possibly even a fire truck?) that could be used to wash down the whole street and sidewalk areas. Kind of like they use in New Orleans everynight during Mardi Gras. It won't change the behaviour, but at least the place wouldn't stink so much.
          Edmontonian and proud of it!

Comment

They do "hose" down the streets every once in a while. A couple weeks ago I saw crews out at 1am during the week washing the sidewalks on Whyte just east of the train tracks, all the way down to 99St.

Comment

I was thinking of something more regular, once maybe even twice every weekend perhaps at least as long as the weather is not freezing. With these temperatures we're having right now it must be horrendous along some of the more "polluted" areas.
              Edmontonian and proud of it!

Comment

That's a good idea... I remember hearing that the street cleaners etc are out downtown every single night. I don't know if this is true, it doesn't really sound like something the city would do... but I sure hope it is. If something like this could be done on Whyte, that would also be a help.

Comment

So much for having the porta-urinals on Whyte Ave.
                  “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

The little park/square/squat on RHW that's just off Jasper (wedged between Scotia, the LRT and the Subway) sure was stinky this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by newfangled View Post
                      The little park/square/squat on RHW that's just off Jasper (wedged between Scotia, the LRT and the Subway) sure was stinky this afternoon.
                      That lil area is always disgusting... there's garbage, human waste, bottles, cigarettes, syringes, etc left there on a daily basis. It's one of the dirtiest areas in the core IMO.

Comment

They should take down a part of that fence on the empty corner lot on Whyte and 105 St (that used to be the Esso) and let people pee in there. The land is already contaminated, anyhow. I can't see how saturating it with urine could hurt anything.

That's the only solution I can think of - ha ha.

Comment

Our Police are giving our city a black eye.

Hey Kevin, I agree that the smell of urine is as unpleasant as it gets. I was at the fringe Saturday night where I saw the beat cops patroling Whyte Ave round up a group of young kids and fine them all $500.00 each for public urination. The interesting thing is not all of them did anything wrong. I was walking behind 2 young guys that were singled out as having urinated. The 2 smug beat cops admitted they only suspected these 2 of peeing, yet 2 $500.00 tickets. Then this cop writes the ticket on a parked Jeeps hood. This big guy comes running down the sidewalk yelling at this cop to stop. I think that cop left some pee in his pants. He apologized and finished it elsewhere. These guys had these tickets prefiled out and where just looking for some names to put on them. I hope your brother was a better officer of the law than these two. I was embarrased for the EPS when I saw that. This all happened just after the sun went down around 10 o'clock. Seems the Police are taking this urination thing from one extreme to another.

Comment

So you got their badge numbers so you could file a complaint, correct?
                            They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post

Hey Kevin, I agree that the smell of urine is as unpleasant as it gets. I was at the fringe Saturday night where I saw the beat cops patroling Whyte Ave round up a group of young kids and fine them all $500.00 each for public urination. The interesting thing is not all of them did anything wrong. I was walking behind 2 young guys that were singled out as having urinated. The 2 smug beat cops admitted they only suspected these 2 of peeing, yet 2 $500.00 tickets. Then this cop writes the ticket on a parked Jeeps hood. This big guy comes running down the sidewalk yelling at this cop to stop. I think that cop left some pee in his pants. He apologized and finished it elsewhere. These guys had these tickets prefiled out and where just looking for some names to put on them. I hope your brother was a better officer of the law than these two. I was embarrased for the EPS when I saw that. This all happened just after the sun went down around 10 o'clock. Seems the Police are taking this urination thing from one extreme to another.
                              Nice story. ^Fabricated post.^

Comment

Working...
                              X