Clear All

• kcantor
    replied
    she's looking a little healthier this morning:

as is the river valley.

Leave a comment:

• IrishAtomic
    replied
    Sure hope she will be floating again this summer.

Leave a comment:

• Marcel Petrin
    replied
    Story here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...iver-1.5541099

Damn thing is cursed.

Leave a comment:

• kcantor
    replied

springtime in Edmonton:

oops...

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Death Monkey
    replied
    How far west does the riverboat go? I've seen it sail past the Walterdale Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    I agree. I fo not suggest anyone do what I have done. In fact I am not a good swimmer but even a strong swimmer can get caught up in an undertow, a fast current and be dragged into submerged trees and debris that can hold you fast until you drown.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    Originally posted by Medwards View Post
    Can we get back to the riverboat please? You guys are arguing about whether EPRT crossed the river on foot as a kid? Nobody can prove it or deny it. Move on. I'm sure lots of people have crossed the river on foot, its certainly low enough in points during low flow season.
    Just a bit of general advice. It might be ok at home but never wade across a river (almost any creek or river in the mountains or any creek or river where there’s potentially a rough jagged bottom of rocks or deadfall or even just branches as in a muddy creek with beaver activity. Catch a foot and you’ll be dragged under by the current.

Found this - Land vs Water - same instinctive reaction = one of the most deadly accidents

“On land, when you are in an emergency situation, your survival instinct is usually to stay on your feet... When you’re in the water in an emergency, that same instinctive reaction can lead to one of the most deadly accidents: ...”

“Saving someone in this situation is very difficult and rarely successful. You have only a very few minutes ...”

“The basic rule is: never stand up or put your feet down in the water, unless the water depth is below your knees or the water is calm.

https://www.nrs.com/safety_tips/footentrapment.asp

Last edited by KC; 09-08-2019, 07:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    When they built the new walterdale bridge and had to create construction mats on the riverbanks and into the river course, there was a long process where they counted the fish, underwater creatures and other stuff that was affected. I think they even moved them before work could begin.

On another tack, it is illegal to use a motorized pump to operate a sluice box for finding gold. They don't allow you to create turbidity and require a settling pond to prevent disrupting the stream ecology in the river.

Dredging would be very environmentally unfriendly even though in reality, each time the river floods, there is plenty of turbidity, everywhere.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-08-2019, 03:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Originally posted by KC View Post
    Can we get back to the riverboat please? You guys are arguing about whether EPRT crossed the river on foot as a kid? Nobody can prove it or deny it. Move on. I'm sure lots of people have crossed the river on foot, its certainly low enough in points during low flow season.
    Would be nice to see it dredged in places to allow for more certainty for boaters.
    The environmental protections would never allow dredging. It would not help as it would fill back up in the next flood.
    Dredging is done all over the world and my guess is that it’s done in Canada too. (Something to research I suppose.)

I’m back:

What is dredging? | Port of Vancouver

“Dredging requirements differ depending on location. For instance, Burrard Inlet is a deep water port, but certain projects may require one-time dredging. On the other hand, the Fraser River requires annual dredging because of the continuous run-off of the river and the silt that is deposited from upstream as it nears the sea.”

https://www.portvancouver.com/about-...rest/dredging/

http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/eng/Ccg/wm_Los_Page4

Diminishing the cost of dredging - Canadian Rivers Institute and UNB progressing with harbour study - Canadian Sailings

https://canadiansailings.ca/diminish...harbour-study/
    Last edited by KC; 06-08-2019, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    Your started on an asinine rant and just continued on. Obviously you projected many things that I did not say or do. I am not a liar, just gave you my experience .

I will reiterate that we were young, a bit foolhardy but careful and the river was at a low ebb but do not recommend others from trying to cross the river. It is not worth risking your life.

I know that there are pictures my mom took when we did cross the RD river at Munson's Ferry. We played all day in that muddy river.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-08-2019, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Replacement
    replied
    Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I guess Replacement had a very sheltered childhood.

There was no change in the story. He thinks that we needed a "technological depth finding equipment", maps, life preservers, spear gun (for river sharks), a video camera to record our adventure, a press release and media package.

We had some rope we used often for climbing trees, we had found the ball earlier in the day and thought if we left it by where we locked our bikes, someone might steal it. Found a log in the river, rocked it out of the mud and floated a few hundred yards until we ran aground.

No Replacement, you jump to outrageous conclusions and add all sort of false assumptions like we claimed the CN Tower and had "perfect" walking sticks. We had a rope but did not need it, but you find that as proof that I am lying. Now I told you we had bikes so I assume that you will attack me for lying about walking sticks.

You can't accept that sometimes in some places, the North Saskatchewan river is shallow. You are the one making hyperbolic statements. I am just illuminating how shallow the river is, especially since the two dams were made upstream, the Brazeau and the Big Horn.

Get over it.
    Nah, you changed your story multiple times, I pointed out exactly where your story changed, and your respond with a long drawn out paragraph of strawman arguments because you're a liar and got caught.

Get over yourself.

Leave a comment:

• McBoo
    replied
    I've mentioned a weir would be nice.

Every time, I have to duck for cover ...

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    Originally posted by KC View Post
    Would be nice to see it dredged in places to allow for more certainty for boaters.
    The environmental protections would never allow dredging. It would not help as it would fill back up in the next flood.

Leave a comment:

• Edmonton PRT
    replied
    I guess Replacement had a very sheltered childhood.

There was no change in the story. He thinks that we needed a "technological depth finding equipment", maps, life preservers, spear gun (for river sharks), a video camera to record our adventure, a press release and media package.

We had some rope we used often for climbing trees, we had found the ball earlier in the day and thought if we left it by where we locked our bikes, someone might steal it. Found a log in the river, rocked it out of the mud and floated a few hundred yards until we ran aground.

No Replacement, you jump to outrageous conclusions and add all sort of false assumptions like we claimed the CN Tower and had "perfect" walking sticks. We had a rope but did not need it, but you find that as proof that I am lying. Now I told you we had bikes so I assume that you will attack me for lying about walking sticks.

You can't accept that sometimes in some places, the North Saskatchewan river is shallow. You are the one making hyperbolic statements. I am just illuminating how shallow the river is, especially since the two dams were made upstream, the Brazeau and the Big Horn.

Get over it.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X