Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada's first Happy Wall comes to Edmonton

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-art-1.4666295

City officials hope a new public art display unveiled Wednesday will help bring people downtown, despite ongoing construction work.

A Happy Wall, an interactive public art installation made of more than 1,000 panels of colourful reclaimed wood has now found a home in Sir Winston Churchill Square. The pixel art display allows people to create messages or images by flipping the wood panels on the public art piece.

City officials said there have been fewer people in Churchill Square due to construction for the Valley Line LRT and the Stanley A. Milner Library.

Organizers hope this public art piece will bring more people to the area.

"We thought that the Happy Wall would make a fantastic addition that everyone can come and play with and enjoy. It's ever–changing, dynamic and colourful for the square," said Bob Rasko, Churchill Square programmer.

When asked if he is concerned about derogatory messages, Rasko said the pixel art installation will be changed frequently.

"The Wall itself is kind of like a public speakers' corner if you will," he said.

"People will be able to come and put up pictures and messages. As you see, even the wind is changing it so if there happens to be something that needs to be changed, the wind might even take care of it itself."

@CityofEdmonton

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Sent this to my left coasters. They love it - want me to go take pics.
      ... gobsmacked

Comment

Complete waste of money. Brings to mind the million dollar wrapped scaffolding displayed in Churchill Square from a decade ago. Same as it ever was.

Comment

this would probably have been a lot more successful than a "happy wall":

6758_10151463891692872_1348883652_n[1] by cdnklc, on Flickr
          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

I saw it yesterday as I walked by. Good on the city for trying something different. I have no problem with the project.

Comment

Love it

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                this would probably have been a lot more successful than a "happy wall":

6758_10151463891692872_1348883652_n[1] by cdnklc, on Flickr
                A lot bloody cheaper I bet..LOL
                Animals are my passion.

Comment

I found myself walking around here today and was struck by the most grating fact of the Happy Wall's existence. Whoever is responsible for this has a fundamental misunderstanding of why people are ever in Churchill Square in the first place. No library, no pool, no museum and a noisy, dusty construction site within spitting distance. To lament a lack of citizenry in the midst of this great void is foolishness. To spend a great deal of money trying to attract people here is the height of stupidity.

Comment

Is it now?

The Civic Precinct is undergoing 26 projects within the next 36 months and just a wee bit stressed.

If anything, this is an act of citizenry, given the challenges before us.

Comment

A wee bit stressed? Theres so much construction going on DT its a place to avoid. Its poor form that the Library figured they needed a massive redo right at the same time and on top of everything else going on. One would hope at some point for a moratorium on the nightmare of construction going on in the DT area. Its like we keep building this DT place to be but it never really arrives. Its continually basically shutdown due to everything going on.

I really wonder if places like Churchill Square become even more forgotten nothing places after all the barricades, construction, noise etc.

AJS is bang on. No Library, No RAM open, AGA attraction not at all what was hoped for. Citadel in quiet season, Really nothing but construction going on in the whole area. Not even the Arena was busy this spring because they had all those open playoff dates set aside.
                      "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

36 months? Bwahaha. Your optimism is so quaint.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                          Is it now?

The Civic Precinct is undergoing 26 projects within the next 36 months and just a wee bit stressed.

If anything, this is an act of citizenry, given the challenges before us.
                          an act of citizenry given the challenges before us? that makes as much sense as saying “an act of population”, population being the definition of citizenry.

perhaps you meant “a gift to our citizenry from those inflicting 26 projects within the next 36 months upon us” except that doesn’t sound as regally benevelent from on high to the masses of great unwashed.

i think i understand the intent of this gesture but, like the sculpture garden on capital boulevard, even if you can accept the premise that this is art and not a public amusement, the location is a fail.

if you want to make downtown more livable through the course of those projects, get transportation to stop treating our sidewalks as temporary storage yards for cones and barriers and signage not in use. pay some attention to the detours and diversions so cavalierly set and eliminate the red lights when the crossing streets are closed to traffic for the next 36 months and make some effort to keep those streets and lanes closed for construction free of sand and gravel...
                          Last edited by kcantor; 23-05-2018, 07:02 AM.
                          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                            I really wonder if places like Churchill Square become even more forgotten nothing places after all the barricades, construction, noise etc.

@ianoyeg

Comment

Picture taken at lunchtime on a workday. About the most sparse use of a main City plaza that you would ever see anywhere. lol that not even all the tables are taken up.

Whats the point of the pictures Ian, to confirm how few people are in the Square?
                              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Working...
                              X