No announcement yet.

Free National Park passes to celebrate 150th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illegal campfire sparks blaze north of Lake Louise as crews still battle Verdant Creek wildfire

Illegal campfires are believed to have sparked a newly discovered wildfire burning in Banff National Park.

Spotted Friday burning near the west end of Bow Lake, north of Lake Louise just west of the Icefields Parkway, the 0.5 hectare fire is being worked on by wildfire crews, said Lesley Matheson of Parks Canada.

The Bow Glacier Falls trail, the Bow Hut access route and parts of the Bow Lake trail are closed due to firefighting efforts.

The fire, which she said currently poses no threat to people or facilities, is currently under investigation by Parks Canada and the RCMP.

Matheson reminds park visitors disobeying the fire ban can be costly, with violators facing fines of as much as $25,000.
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...creek-wildfire

I hope the dumb fuch that started this is caught, fined to the maximum, thrown into jail and made to pay every nickel of firefighting costs. One of the perks of free national park passes I guess...
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

I smell a terrorist attack in this somehow. Is anyone else thinking this?.
      Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Originally posted by envaneo View Post
        I smell a terrorist attack in this somehow. Is anyone else thinking this?.
        Reveals your mindset.

Illegal campfires - probably, if that's what they say. (stupid tourists, hikers, etc)

Tossed cigarettes - also a possibility (next time you're in the mountains look at all the butts stupidly tossed about by tourists

Atv-ers also a possibility (when the fires are more into the back country )

Arsonists seeking income (when it's a low fire year and people are looking for work)

Terrorism /arson (when it's around a city or chemical plant and
        multiple, likely coordinated fires start at once)

I don't wonder about this one.

I do wonder what happened in Ft McMurray because everyone knew how dry it was. Still, a lot of the people (personality types) that go into the back country are the type that you hear protesting about their rights (rarely their obligations) and that no government is going to tell them what to do (as in obeying fire bans).
        Last edited by KC; 03-09-2017, 06:40 AM.

Comment

^ And up until just a few years ago, who would have thought a truck could be used to kill people? Or massive Cyber attacks, ransomware etc. All a form of terrorism, even massive forest fires in BC. Hint: Mountains and trees make up the beauty of BC and its tourism industry.

Yes, my mindset but I don't see terrorists hiding in every nook and cranny at the same time. Yet there are many faces of terrorism, there's environmental terrorism, corporate terrorism, and social terrorism (opioid crisis). It may be my mindset but my head isn't buried in the sand either. Nor do I go to sleep with aluminium foil wrapped around my head.

Comment

Terrorism of trees and forests? C'mon. There be more chance of Saudi billionaires setting fire to Fort McMurray than terrorists being involved and I'm joking with the Saudi's.

As far as pharmaceutical tragedy that's not terrorism, as such, but I tend to look at big Pharma as one of the worst scourges and that is out of control in several jurisdictions and with product testing never really what it should be. For instance longitudinal study on effects.

More harm and deaths occur due to Big Pharma than most causes that we spend our whole lives trying to be concerned about. The biggest single benefit to mankind, if not Canadians specifically, is getting big Pharma under control. In terms of pricing, delivery, testing, screening what should never be on the market, etc. In this case big business is in effect doing the terrorism. No other invocation of other culprit is required.

But terrorists sell papers and print and media coverage.
            "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

The fire in BC is far more substantial then the ft Mac fire. Some of the fires in BC apparently were caused by arson or in other words environmental terrorism.

My last post had nothing to say about big pharma.

Absolutely.
              Last edited by envaneo; 03-09-2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by envaneo View Post
                The fire in BC is far more substantial then the ft Mac fire. Some of the fires in BC apparently were caused by arson or in other words environmental terrorism.

My last post had nothing to say about big pharma.

Absolutely.
                "Opioid crisis".

That's what you stated that I expanded on. That crisis is due primarily to big pharma first making and mass marketing such harmful products as OxyContin and Fentanyl. Therefore my reply on that.
                "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Ahh, I see.

The dealers are terrorist. Not necessarily motivated by politics but they lace pot with Phentenal to get users hooked so they'll come back for more. Over 2400 deaths have been as a result of the recent opioid crisis alone. If that's not terrorism...

Big pharma is making a killing on Oxy so if anything they are terrorists in themselves when you put it that way.

The forest fires in our national parks appears to be caused by arson. Maybe motivated by politics/BC tourism industry/etc.

Comment

Just got back from spending the day at Elk Island. Had a good 3.5 hour hike, except for the two idiots that had their dogs offleash ("Dude, there wasn't a sign! It's allowed!!") I almost unleashed on them, until I realized they probably weren't smart enough to understand the rules, and certainly weren't going to back down because they thought they were right (they weren't, at all).

The lake area was packed when we got there after the hike at 4, and there were some telescopes set up for the event later tonight (stargazing). There seemed to be lots of other stuff going on as well, but we were just there to eat a late lunch at the lake and head home.
                    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Jasper didn't seem too crazy busy this weekend, although I didn't spend more than 20 minutes in the town site itself. Hiking up to the top of Whistler's we only passed a handful of people, and on the way back down the tram parking lot was less than half full (that might have had something to do with the shut down on Saturday night). Whistler's campground only seemed to be about 2/3's or 3/4 full, but that probably says more about their reservation system than anything (I'd be willing to bet their utilization rate on sites has fallen off a cliff since they brought in online reservations). Highways didn't seem overly busy driving there on Friday afternoon or back on Monday morning.

Comment

Working...
                      X