Great Daytrips from Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Daytrips from Edmonton

Let's start a list. I always get asked by tourists what's good to see or where to stay within driving distance of Edmonton. Bonus points for putting together a Google Map and itinerary
    www.decl.org

Stony Plain:

Murals: Guided and self-guided tours available.

Multicultural Heritage Centre

Comment

Did an incredible day trip this past Saturday:

Departed 7:30am. Drove through Rocky Mountain House. Stopped at the Columbia ice fields and enjoyed the glacier tour, including Skywalk. Drove to Jasper. Had coffee and purchased pastries at Bear Paw. Bought chocolate at Candy Bear's Lair (formerly the Fudgery). Had a beer at Jasper Brewing Co. Finished with the always-incredible Fiddle River for dinner, including dessert and cappuccino. Rolled in the door at home around 1am.

Absolutely awesome day trip.
      "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^ Sounds like a great adventure. In July, I drove through Rocky Mtn House, hit the Forestry Trunk Road, snacked at Ram River Falls, got to Nordegg and decided to head to Abraham Lake just to see the blue colour. The forest fires in BC made visibility poor but atmospheric. Came home via Hwy 22.

Two days later I headed back to Abe Lake for the day, drove down near the lake and watched the helicopters and planes carrying the water buckets. Back home vie Hwy. 22 again.

I've always wanted to do the route you took but was afraid a full day wouldn't cut it. Maybe next time. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who doesn't mind doing this now and again. I've driven down to Kananaskis numerous times on day long road trips, just to get out and have a small adventure. Most people think I'm crazy, not sure why.

Comment

I often go to the Nordegg area for a day trip. It's 3 hours from the west end of the city to Nordegg assuming not much in the way of traffic and you drive only slightly over the speed limit. There is lots to do in this area for outdoor activities: fishing, hiking, photography, etc. The cafe in the museum in Nordegg makes great sandwiches and cookies!

I've done the route Edmonton - Nordegg - Icefields - Jasper - Edmonton as well. It's a long day, but not too bad if you don't stop in Jasper for dinner. However, if you do, Evil Dave's is a great place for dinner as well.

Comment

Took Sonny Boy to Aspen Beach at Gull Lake. I went in the water with him, it's a very nice spot and you can go far out. Cooked on my butane grill, had a great day.
            Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Calgary! Hey just kidding there, folks!

Lesser Slave Lake:
              About 2.5 hours north of the city. Just north of the town of Slave Lake is a provincial park plus some campgrounds, beaches and docks. So if you want to go fishing, zoom around a huge lake on a power boat, or just lie on the beach, go check it out.
              Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 19-08-2014, 03:07 PM.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

^ ya that's beautiful there. I like those cliffs with all those steps coming down thru the trees to the beaches

Comment

The Reynolds Museum in Wetaskiwin and a picnic at By-the-Lake Park after. Use 2A from Leduc it's way shorter than 2 and 13
                  Last edited by Drumbones; 19-08-2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Elk Island National Park

Comment

Originally posted by Norender View Post
                      ^ Sounds like a great adventure. In July, I drove through Rocky Mtn House, hit the Forestry Trunk Road, snacked at Ram River Falls, got to Nordegg and decided to head to Abraham Lake just to see the blue colour. The forest fires in BC made visibility poor but atmospheric. Came home via Hwy 22.
                      Ya I was thinking Ram Falls as well, or somewhere in the area this weekend.
                      www.decl.org

Comment

How about naked day trips? CottonTail Corner on the North Saskatchewan.

Comment

You could check out this book:
                          http://www.amazon.ca/Trips-Edmonton-...dp/1770501843/

Day Trips from Edmonton
                          Alberta is host to some of Canada`s most stunning scenery, from aspen forests and farmland to wetlands and foothills. Many of the province`s natural wonders, cultural treasures, historical sites and recreational spots are within a two-hour drive of Edmonton. Day Trips from Edmonton is a comprehensive guide to Alberta`s best destinations-visit secluded, untouched natural areas or hotspots bustling with activities. Day Trips from Edmonton includes maps and photographs, and features an easy-to-follow format catered to suit the traveler`s needs. Helpful details include: Recreation information Historical tidbits Popular events Information on flora and fauna Opportunities for further exploration. Perfect for planning an afternoon outing or a weekend away, Day Trips from Edmonton is the ultimate guide to this stunning part of Canada.
                          They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

If you're going to Ram Falls you might want to stop by Crescent Falls on the way. It is between Nordegg and Bighorn Dam about a mile or so off of Highway 11.

Perhaps stop by the sculpture of Francis the Pig in Red Deer too
                            http://www.reddeer.ca/about-red-deer...ancis-the-pig/

FYI: you can find more about Red Deer's walking tours here
                            http://www.reddeer.ca/about-red-deer...eritage-tours/
                            Last edited by sundance; 20-08-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

^I've been to Crescent Falls, but not Ram Falls. Will probably do both.
                              www.decl.org

Comment

Working...
                              X