Edmonton Queen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmonton Queen

I visited Winnipeg last week and inquired as whether the 2 paddle wheel boats and one cruise ship they have will sail this summer. Yes I was told. And so I looked further to find they have several choices of cruises. All are 3 hours long for under $20 for adults and $10 for kids.Since I enjoy ships, I thought a cruise on the Edmonton Queen was in order this year. To my surprise, they have only one hour runs at the same price as a 3 hour on Winnipeg's ships.The fares are very high for a dinner cruise for only an hour at just under 60 bucks a head. I can see why this "attraction" does not garner much attention nor interest. My question is the same as I will ask of the Queen's operators. Why only an hour and so expensive?
    Compare them if you wish.
    http://www.paddlewheelcruises.com
    http://msrouge.com
    http://www.edmontonqueen.com/index.php?area_id=1001
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I know the queen is limited to where it can travel to due to bridges and certain sandbars, so the length of time is explained in that... but as for cost? Another Edmonton Advantage!
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Yes, and Ghod forbid the city or province put a weir on the river to make it navigable.

Why the high, mighty and righteous editorial board of the Edmonton Urinal would be outraged!

Outraged!
      ... gobsmacked

Comment

Time to build that canal in Rossdale.
        As for the Edmonton Queen...it's 1 boat without any competition vs Winnipeg's 3 competing boats, yes?
        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Canal costly and unnecessary. Improve what we have, don't try to reinvent.

We enjoyed our hour long cruise 2 yrs ago. Ended up on the boat for closer to 2 overall and had a few pops on the upper deck.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
            Time to build that canal in Rossdale.
            As for the Edmonton Queen...it's 1 boat without any competition vs Winnipeg's 3 competing boats, yes?
            The 3 in the peg are the Queen, Princess and Rouge.

The first 2 are owned by the same operator while the Rouge is separate. in essence 2 operators of 3 vessels.

If the river levels were held to a consistent height, the boat would be able to travel further up or downstream. As for a canal, I don't see the necessity although it would be very unique to say the least.
            Last edited by cnr67; 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
              I know the queen is limited to where it can travel to due to bridges and certain sandbars, so the length of time is explained in that... but as for cost? Another Edmonton Advantage!
              Can a larger flow of water from the Brazeau Dam not raise the water level to permit better navigation? Sandbars can be dredged can they not? As for the bridges, why would a ship be commissioned that couldn't navigate under the structures with the area it ply's? The Queen in Winnipeg has had several alterations over the past 4 decades that allow it to pass under all the structures and still charge a paltry $20 bucks a head. The boat is a great idea. Just not planned nor designed properly for this river.

Comment

Originally posted by McBoo View Post
                Yes, and Ghod forbid the city or province put a weir on the river to make it navigable.

Why the high, mighty and righteous editorial board of the Edmonton Urinal would be outraged!

Outraged!
                Both Calgary and little Saskatoon have weirs.

Comment

Their River area is almost a Lake like atmosphere. On hot days Saskatoonians head to the River too catch some rays.

Originally posted by cnr67 View Post
                  Originally posted by McBoo View Post

Outraged!
                  Both Calgary and little Saskatoon have weirs.

Comment

Originally posted by cnr67 View Post
                    Can a larger flow of water from the Brazeau Dam not raise the water level to permit better navigation? Sandbars can be dredged can they not?
                    The Brazeau and the Bighorn dams both control some of the flow. Sustained releases would have to be monitored extremely costly and would require monitoring rainfalls throughout the NS basin. But the makeup of the river valleys is not conducive to weirs and dredging. The sand, gravel and silt build up quickly. I have spent over 30 years on the river in the summers and have always needed to relearn the pattern every spring and after major flow events. And I can safely say that the flow patterns can change daily. Dredging may give you a year or 2 but the cost of yearly dredging would not be economical. Also you would probably destroy a great many fish habitats in the process. A weir would silt up quickly as well. Next year head down to one of the boat launches after the high water and look at the silt build up, it can get up to a meter thick.

Would I like to have a constant river level, YES! But the costs would be too great. River boats used to be quite common on our river, there were no dams upstream at the time, but they ran aground quite often. The old Klondike Queen was the last Commercial paddlewheel boat before the EQ. It ran aground at Big Island.

I have been on the Red, South Sask and Bow. The SS and Red are big slow rivers very different from ours, The SS also has sand bar problems.
                    Last edited by BalancedOP; 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Would a hovercraft be too noisy and expensive to operate on the river? I could see running one of those if you wanted a longer trip; you could maybe go all the way to Fort Saskatchewan or Devon on a cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
                        Would a hovercraft be too noisy and expensive to operate on the river? I could see running one of those if you wanted a longer trip; you could maybe go all the way to Fort Saskatchewan or Devon on a cruise.
                        That's a cool idea actually providing the nimby's stay quiet.

Comment

If a hovercraft is too expensive and/or noisy, I wonder if an amphibious hybrid tour bus/boat would work here, like the Harbour Hopper in Halifax. Imagine motoring through a downtown tour, taking cruise down to Fort Edmonton and/or the Valley Zoo, then coming back down river for a rolling tour of White Ave

Comment

Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
                            If a hovercraft is too expensive and/or noisy, I wonder if an amphibious hybrid tour bus/boat would work here, like the Harbour Hopper in Halifax. Imagine motoring through a downtown tour, taking cruise down to Fort Edmonton and/or the Valley Zoo, then coming back down river for a rolling tour of White Ave
                            That would take an envisionary. Something lacking in this city. A good idea though.

Comment

While these landing craft type amphibious vehicles look like fun , there has been several tragic accidents in the past with this type of tourist craft . I would not want my family on one at all.

I think that my choice for a water attraction in the city would be a modern day version of John Walters current powered cable ferry ( this time passenger only) crossing from some future development at the power plant accross to the Kinsmen centre area. This would have the advantage of being Green , have some historical context and be a unique attraction to the river valley trail system.

It would certainly be cheap to run and would function well in our river.

Comment

Working...
                              X