Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk Island loop an easy, peaceful hike

Elk Island loop an easy, peaceful hike

If you’re looking for a peaceful, easy half-hour hike through the forest, with a fantastic view of a lake and several wetlands, check out Lakeview trail at Elk Island National Park.

A short drive from the city, the park is 48 kilometres east of Edmonton, on Highway 16. Once you turn north into the park (please note you must have a valid Parks Canada pass to enter), the Lakeview self-guiding loop is 15 km down the road, on the left.

More:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...005/story.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

seems like a cool hike.elk island is a real gem that more people should take advantage of. driving for 60 (round trip) minutes for a 30 minute hike though seems odd.
    be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Just south of Elk Island is Cooking Lake Staging Area, there are some nice trails there too. FYI for both Elk Island and Cooking Lake bring Off (or skin so soft, citronella...) mosquitoes can be a bit more thirsty than in city parks.

http://www.albertaparks.ca/siteinformation.aspx?id=23
      Summer trail map is here
      http://www.albertaparks.ca/pubsandme...0WEB%20map.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by richardW View Post
        seems like a cool hike.elk island is a real gem that more people should take advantage of. driving for 60 (round trip) minutes for a 30 minute hike though seems odd.
        Good point. Maybe a hike in the Blackmud Creek Ravine mentioned in the paper today? You can bus to Kennedale Ravine.

Comment

Originally posted by ajs View Post
          Originally posted by richardW View Post
          Good point. Maybe a hike in the Blackmud Creek Ravine mentioned in the paper today? You can bus to Kennedale Ravine.
          Or take the trip to Elk Island and make the hike a short part of your visit, along with some of the other activities, to make it a worthwhile trip.

Totally agree that it seems weird to spend more time in transit getting there than actually enjoying the destination.

Comment

^ Hey it's closer than Jasper!
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I heard about this Elk Island from my friend. He went there and I also want to do hiking and relaxing myself with calmness of the place which I heard.
              Before God we are all equally wise- and equally foolish.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X