Travel Alberta ignores Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nsmith View Post
    You know, I am not going to defend what Travel Alberta does. No matter what I say you will likely not listen anyways.

Also, Travel Alberta is not funded my taxpayers money.
    Originally posted by Gemini View Post
    Oh no, please do'nt think we will not be listening. Feel free to say what you want.
    There are #73 posts on this thread, you will be reaching a fair amount of people.
    Do'nt post to say you will not post.
    Judging from the arrogance being displayed, I wouldn't hold my breath on that, G. If the organization as a whole shares such an attitude, not to mention its recent other incompetencies (remember the kids on the British beach?), it's time for a house cleaning. Or maybe the city should withhold levies and redirect them to Tourism Edmonton.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 28-08-2011, 10:46 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

But as Richard S said earlier in the thread, this city as a collective whole should get its ***** together too. C2E doesn't help matters by sticking the Tourism forum way at the bottom.
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Maybe the department should be called 'Travel Parts of Alberta'.
        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Thank you Nancy for your response. And welcome to C2E!!!

But for some reason you don't seem to be quick, no willing, to respond to Paula Simons' follow-up question on your post in the Edmonton Commons blog:

As far as I can see, you'll eliminated the Travel Alberta events calendar entirely ... and now link to the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation Calendar, and to the Edmonton Journal's own entertainment calendar. I'm glad, nay thrilled, to see you linking directly to our own website - the more clicks we get, the happier Postmedia will be. But I have to ask - what, then, precisely, is the Travel Alberta added value? Will you be doing anything to curate information for would-be tourists, to help them build trips and packages, to help them see Alberta festivals at a glance? Or is the new strategy to link out to media sites like ours?

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...here/#comments
          As Travel Alberta's Regional Consultant for the Rockies, how do you "Do Your Research" besides linking to the Edmonton Journal and Edmonton Tourism website?

Comment

I wonder if nsmith can point out Edmonton on a map?

Comment

If a person works for Travel Alberta in any capacity they represent that organization.
              It seems we got the kiss off from nsmith, a Travel Alberta representative.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                But as Richard S said earlier in the thread, this city as a collective whole should get its ***** together
                This bears repeating (as it seems to get ignored) RichardS, myself and others have been sending this message for sometime.

As a City we:
                -Fail to promote the majority of the attractions we have
                -Fail to create reasons for people from Beyond Rubber Tire Traffic to visit
                -Fail to market effectively to the greater region, Province, Country, World
                -Fail to follow through on the things that have potential

As a result:
                - We have a poor to mediocre "greater" image Nationally, Internationally
                - Tourism as a whole including the hotel industry suffers
                - Air Service suffers

As well as many other facets ranging from employee attraction/retention to our own self image as a city.

This goes far beyond EEDC (though they are IMO part of the problem) and right down from Civic government, associations and to the small businesses and citizens.

There are some glowing successes but the above is what I see personally.

I have a hard time blaming "just" Travel Alberta when we are not even recognizing the base problem let alone doing anything to resolve it.

Comment

^Well, it should not be to complicated to fix. If Travel Alberta are the expert P.R. agency to give a voice to Edmonton why not have the C of E and the agency get together.
                  We just had a Regional Consultant (not our region) post yesterday. Instead of given us assurances she/he would pass concerns along she/he stopped posting. The anomousity continues.

Comment

FYI, she is technically correct that it is the tourism levy. But very simplistic in that response. This is the link to Travel Alberta https://industry.travelalberta.com/e...s/default.aspx for those that want to know how it has been built and why its around. (This is not to say I believe it is effective but gives a bit more information) And I do agree with Tom on his points. Easy to blame the outsider, but until we get our own house in order we aren't in a position to judge (Edmonton Tourism)
                    Last edited by booster; 29-08-2011, 02:32 PM.
                    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

My reason for posting on this thread was because I wanted to correct misinformation about me - which I tried to do.

I respect that you are all entitled to your opinions, and that forums like this provide a place to share, collaborate, debate etc. It would seem that there are some very smart and passionate people on this forum. What I don't appreciate about forums like these is when the posts get personal. It seems like a waste of energy to complain and look for others to blame when so much could be done to help work together.

Jizzaldo - your comment was arrogant. Of course I know where Edmonton is. I proudly called Edmonton my home for 25 years. It is a city I love. Period.

I am also proud of the good work Travel Alberta does in marketing ALL areas of the Province.

I am choosing not to debate in this forum, it seems unfair that you can hide behind usernames and hurl attacks. If you wish to speak in person I encourage you to contact us at Travel Alberta please pick up the phone or email.

Comment

^I do see the unfairness in this case when someone posts anonymously. It does leave you at a dis-advantage.
                        Please mention some of our concerns at your next meeting or maybe direct your Edmonton counterpart to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                          ^I do see the unfairness in this case when someone posts anonymously. It does leave you at a dis-advantage.
                          Please mention some of our concerns at your next meeting or maybe direct your Edmonton counterpart to this site.
                          I will Gemini.

Comment

I suppose we could continue to collectively beat up Travel Alberta, but really, they're doing the best they can. And you have to give them credit, they made sure when they needed a social media marketing company (which I mention simply because of the twitter reference,) they made sure to keep it in the province. Unfortunately, that province is British Columbia:

http://www.marketingmag.ca/news/agen...-alberta-34684

You'll read this otherwise fine service provider also happens to be the same SMM provider Calgary uses. Which is merely a coincidence, I'm sure.

Comment

That's a shame. I know some talented SMM people at Calder Bateman.
                              They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by nsmith View Post
                                Jizzaldo - your comment was arrogant. Of course I know where Edmonton is. I proudly called Edmonton my home for 25 years. It is a city I love. Period.
                                I've thought of many responses. But it's best I don't respond.

Comment

Working...
                                X