• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Alberta ignores Edmonton

I refer to Travel Alberta as "Travel BC" as in "Travel Banff-Calgary"

Think Travel Alberta knows Edmonton? Guess again

Provincial advertising campaign gives short shrift to capital region

Last Friday, Travel Alberta ran a full-page ad in The Journal. Now, it ill behooves me to take shots at people who buy full-page ads in my paper. (Such ads pay my salary.) Still, something about this one struck me odd.
    "Think you know Alberta?" chirps the ad. "You may think you've seen and done it all, but we bet you'll find something totally new in this list of unique Alberta adventures."

Below, the ad features photos and descriptions of 10 cool attractions or events to visit in Alberta. One celebrates Banff, two highlight Drumheller, two focus on events in the foothills and two are about the north. Three are about Calgary -- one on Heritage Park, one on the Cantos Music Museum and one on a company that offers floral design classes for bridal parties.
    How many of the promos are about Edmonton? None.
    This ad campaign is a symptom of a larger problem. When I went to the Travel Alberta home page on Wednesday -- not the one designed for Alberta use, but the external page designed for travellers outside the province -- there were pictures of the Calgary Stampede, the Calgary Tower, the Banff Springs Hotel, a Banff spa, a fisherman in a cowboy hat, and various Rocky Mountain vistas. Edmonton? Not one image.
    When I clicked on the events and festivals tab, I could get information on travel packages for Calgary Stampede, the Banff Springs Family Castle Adventure, and Cowboy and Indian Weeks at the Homeplace Ranch outside of Calgary, as well as a lovely photo of Spruce Meadows. But there was not one word about the Edmonton Fringe, the Heritage Festival, Cariwest, the Edmonton Jazz Festival, the Works, or any of the other cultural events that give this city is heart, soul and identity.
    Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#ixzz0rmfie3xk
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I love this quote:

"But some of these events are near Edmonton," he said, pointing out an ad for a Metis cultural festival in Fort Walsh. (In case you, too, need a geography lesson, Fort Walsh is actually in southwestern Saskatchewan. On the bright side, at least there are no sneaky pics of English moppets romping on Northumberland beaches.)

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...#ixzz0rmjzUNzk

Comment

Great article. I checked out the gallery on the Travel Alberta website, and it was mostly lame scenic photos of the mountains. Nothing showcasing any actual culture. Boy does that website blow.

Everyone knows we have freaking mountains, where's the promotion for our festivals and gazillion other attractions?
      "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Just goes to show you that when Top Executives/Premiers etc. are from and living in Cowtown .... guess where all the focus/money goes. - Surprise Surprise

Comment

the website has multiple errors and is terrible to navigate

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Or is it that EEDC isn't spending the money to put ads in the publications? I know someone in Alberta Tourism and they tell me what they really just do is just "promote" those communities who pass them money. Which is really stupid for a provincial dept.

Comment

^Not surprising on any account. Despite some interaction with the organization, I'm not actually sure what EEDC does, how it defines success, and if it's achieved any.
              "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Hello 2 years ago, welcome to my complaint then.
                Alberta tourism has always been Calgary-centric.
                Every year they put out publications that make it seem like there's a black hole in between Red Deer and Ft. Mac.

Comment

We must demand a Travel Albetra office here in Edmonton.

Can we also get the name of this thread changed... It is not very clear.
                  "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Originally posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
                    Can we also get the name of this thread changed... It is not very clear.
                    Keep my "Travel BC" snipe though....maybe something like "Travel Alberta aka Travel BC ignores Edmonton"
                    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

the real problem here is that Edmonton doesn't have a "brand" of its own.

Calgary = cowboys and stampede
                      Banff = Mountains and skiing
                      Edmonton = Festivals?

We need to brand ourselves as what we are. A big city with a quaint feel. A city trying to turn a corner. A city with an abundance of cheap office space. A city with more festivals than you can think of.

I'm not in tourism, but it's pretty obvious that Edmonton has an identity problem. Until we figure out what we are, how can we market our city other than by pointing at Indy, or at Capital Ex, or at any number of other separate events?

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post

Edmonton = Festivals?

We need to brand ourselves as what we are. A big city with a quaint feel. A city trying to turn a corner. A city with an abundance of cheap office space. A city with more festivals than you can think of.

I'm not in tourism, but it's pretty obvious that Edmonton has an identity problem. Until we figure out what we are, how can we market our city other than by pointing at Indy, or at Capital Ex, or at any number of other separate events?

Festivals are fairly minor really since they mostly only happen during summer but I agree with everything you said. I like our river valley and think that's a fairly positive attribute which we don't utilize well enough.

Our best feature is that we have a small city vibe to it which is nicer to raise families in. We do have considerable assets though such as a strong railway connections, a really good manufacturing industry with good prices and incentives for businesses. Our airport is far enough out that overhead annoyances are slight and we've got a fairly decent road system despite the disorganization in recent years.

Our downfalls is that we try too hard to get noticed and we try too hard to show ourselves off as equal to Calgary.

Who cares about Calgary? We shouldn't be in competition with them. They're our brother city and we should be trying to be cohesive with them. We're not the same. If we were, I would have stayed there but I like it here better.

We keep selling ourselves short and then end up looking needy. It's not cool.

Comment

Edmonton = Festivals?

In a sense I love the fact that Edmonton does EVERYTHING. Calgary only has some cowboys and the Stampede. We've got a gazillion festivals of all type, CFR (yeah, we got ourselves some rodeo too), Indy, Capital X, you name it, we've got a TON of it. We just don't market it so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post

Edmonton = Festivals?

In a sense I love the fact that Edmonton does EVERYTHING. Calgary only has some cowboys and the Stampede. We've got a gazillion festivals of all type, CFR (yeah, we got ourselves some rodeo too), Indy, Capital X, you name it, we've got a TON of it. We just don't market it so well.
                            and that's what we need a little marketing genius for. If we could find a slogan that encompasses it all, or that really drives home the "something for everybody" point we could actually just brand ourselves as a versatile city, rather than a city full of oilfield roughnecks.

I love that Edmonton isn't painted with a stereotype-brush like many of our counterparts. I just wish we were taken seriously as a destination, either for work or for play.

Comment

Edmonton = Festivals?

Edmonton - Indy and EXPO
                              "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Comment

Working...
                              X