West Rossdale Urban Design Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Rossdale Urban Design Plan

Got this in the mail today. It's addressed to me as 'workshop participant', but not sure which workshop that is. I signed up for the planning academy a while back, but they cancelled it on me due to low enrollment.

Anyways...

"You are invited to participate in the development of the West Rossdale Urban Design Plan. Consultants Carlyle and Associates have been retained by the city and they will guide us through two Workshops/Design Charettes planned for this project. We also want to know your views on the request for designation of this area as a National Historic Site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.

Workshop One:
    Tues Oct. 28
    630pm to 930pm
    Old Timers Cabin (9430 99 St)

Open House and Workshop Two:
    Wed Nov. 26
    5pm to 9pm
    Old Timers Cabin (9430 99 st)

If you have any questions, contact Kulbir Singh 780-496-6110 or [email protected]
    To confirm your attendance, contact Lorraine Collins 780-442-5429 or [email protected]

Don't know if this is open to everyone or not. Sounds interesting!

Where exactly is West Rossdale...I am assuming it's the area between the Rossdale Plant and the Legislature grounds.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

it was the part outlined in the new downtown plan that has been subsequently removed to be its own

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Good to know...the Urban Design discussion for this area has been kickin' around for ages...

* Rossdale Low Density Infill Housing Residential Design Guidelines (1986)
        * Urban Design Strategy for Rossdale (1986)
        In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

Comment

^yup cool report

Comment

This is so typical Edmonton. We study and consult, we then park the study for 5-10 years and study it again.

Comment

Originally posted by ridgeman View Post
              This is so typical Edmonton. We study and consult, we then park the study for 5-10 years and study it again.
              I think you are right on this one. I enjoyed getting involved in the SMART choices workshop pilot project for a half day for my neighborhood - a number of recommendations / consensus was reached that I think would spur on growth / simplify zoning. But, nothing has come of it. I wonder if it is worth peoples time participating in this sort of thing, I could have instead spent that half day doing something useful that will actually result in something (like walking outside, which might have made me a bit fitter).

I'd far rather the city just started leading on our behalf, taking actions (like targetted tax breaks or similar to make things happen) instead of endlessly consulting, to produce perfect plans that no-body implements.
              Last edited by moahunter; 23-10-2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

In this case, I'm guessing that the off-and-on-again plans for a new Walterdale Bridge has impacts on urban planning for West Rossdale.
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                  Originally posted by ridgeman View Post
                  I think you are right on this one. I enjoyed getting involved in the SMART choices workshop pilot project for a half day for my neighborhood - a number of recommendations / consensus was reached that I think would spur on growth / simplify zoning. But, nothing has come of it. I wonder if it is worth peoples time participating in this sort of thing, I could have instead spent that half day doing something useful that will actually result in something (like walking outside, which might have made me a bit fitter).

I'd far rather the city just started leading on our behalf, taking actions (like targetted tax breaks or similar to make things happen) instead of endlessly consulting, to produce perfect plans that no-body implements.
                  Maybe it's just the way you've phrased it, but it seems like you're framing this as an action vs. consultaion sort of debate. While I understand where your frustration stems from (believe me!), I don't think the end result you propose is really what we should be striving for.
                  Proper consultation is an absloutely integral part of the design process, and one who's role shouldn't be dimished.
                  I'll agree that the city needs to do a better job of implementing and following through on the studies that have been conducted, but I think it needs to be acknolwedged that the consultants (planners, designers, etc) deal in one realm, while city hall and the beauracracy reside in another.
                  It isn't a simple matter of one vs the other.

Comment

West Rossdale implementation Plan

DECL met with the City to go over the road/sidewalk/bike alignments planned for the new West Rossdale plan.

Overall some good ideas to improve the feel of community down there without reducing capacity or interfering with commuter flow.

More info:

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...sign-plan.aspx

Comment

Hopefully they add some flood-proofing measures into that plan

Comment

Stakeholder meetings are starting up soon, was fortunate to be the DECL rep selected. Looking forward to helping move this forward.

Comment

Hi West Rossdale, this.

(http://www.vancitybuzz.com/wp-conten...0.26.05-PM.png)

Comment

Well hope your sketch becomes reality.

Comment

Stage One, on its way to reality:

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...rovements.aspx
                              Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

Working...
                              X