X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ It's a toss-up.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

• Only in Edmonton would people debate which pile of **** smells worse.

Comment

• ^ No, they do it elsewhere, too.
        Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

• Originally posted by Medwards View Post
          I'll take Square 104 over Venetian
          I think Square 104 gets a bit of an unfair rap. It hasn't aged that well (the Stucco just looks dirty) but at least it is not fake historical or something. I think something like Glenora Gates is every bit, if not more, ugly.

Comment

• ^unfair rap? how?

Imagine this same project on the corner of burrard and smythe or king and spadina..... laughed out of the city.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• ^I think with a better coloured stucco that wasn't so dismal, it would have been superior to many of the condo's downtown (Glenora gates, Monaco I & II, the horrors by Oliver Square, etc). It has plenty of glass, doesn't pretend to be a cheap rip off of some style (like art deco), and I like the brick wall.

Comment

• I'd imagine if the CCA was decommissioned back when it was supposed to be, there be something much more taller there at square 104.
                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• ^^^ But it would never happen on Burrard or Commerical or Robson because the land at those adresses has always been at a premium. You can find buildings more similar to square 104 a little further up hastings, though.

Why do you think those were built like that ? Cheap land and a cheap to build structure. If land values were the same now as they were then they'be be building a carbon copy of that building on the Quest site.

Those rental units do serve a purpose and as ugly as they are the people that live there will contribute to the neighborhood once there's actually something on that corner worth walking to.
                  Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

• ^obviously i was stretching it but you know what i mean. As much as I try to defend the downtown it is an absolute disgrace for a city our size, wealth, and talent.

Sure we have had leaps and bounds in recent years but far from good enough.

Comment

• I agree that Square 104 isn't the most aesthetically pleasing structure, but I have a friend living in an apartment there, and she loves it. Well laid-out, spacious, and nicely finished. It also isn't inexpensive (rent-wise).
                      Almost always open to debate...

Comment

• I've heard the management of the building have lots and lots of problems with difficult tenants. I have friends who live there and they always complain about extremely loud people in the halls, going to work in the morning to find vomit in the elevators or all over the walls in the hallways. You'll find tenants like that almost anywhere, but I sure wouldn't want to live there.

Comment

• Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                          I've heard the management of the building have lots and lots of problems with difficult tenants. I have friends who live there and they always complain about extremely loud people in the halls, going to work in the morning to find vomit in the elevators or all over the walls in the hallways. You'll find tenants like that almost anywhere, but I sure wouldn't want to live there.
                          Well it is a rental property right beside Grant MacEwan, meaning that likely most of the people living there are students. As someone that's finishing up his degree at the UofA I can tell you that when you have lots of freshly-minted post secondary students in one place , sometimes not even freshly-minted, that you'll have that lots of that kind of behaviour in those buildings. The atmosphere will likely more akin to dorms than a building with more mature residents.

That being said, I would say that it's a toss-up between the Venetian and Square 104 for ugliest new condo/rental property recently built on 104th Ave. Venetian for it's eye-sore-inducing multi-coloured exterior visuals, and Square 104 for its brown and black Soviet-inspired exterior. It's too bad that the city's design guidelines dropped the ball in terms of approval for these buildings, or was not in effect at the time.
                          Last edited by Megatron; 24-03-2009, 03:49 PM. Reason: Added more

Comment

• Originally posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
                            I agree that Square 104 isn't the most aesthetically pleasing structure, but I have a friend living in an apartment there, and she loves it. Well laid-out, spacious, and nicely finished. It also isn't inexpensive (rent-wise).
                            she might love it but the rest of the city should be ashamed it is there.

Comment

• I didn't say I loved it or that she loved the exterior - in fact, she's not enamoured with the exterior at all - just providing someone else's perspective on living there (she also did mention the loud tenants - lots of students). I think the building is a design disgrace.
                              Last edited by davidnorwoodink; 24-03-2009, 03:54 PM. Reason: Clarification
                              Almost always open to debate...

Comment

• Again why does this city accept crap like Square 104 or Venetian or Oliver Square or Panache or Alta Vista? It does absolutely nothing for us in any way except increase some population. I realize some of them were built before EDC and what not, but that is not a legit excuse IMO. It is embarrassing stacked up to even Calgary or Vancouver or Portland or heck Winnipeg. Even though developments like Quest, Uptown, Professional (on 108th), and the EPCOR are pretty good and what not, we have nothing iconic like The Bow, Living Shangri-La, The Ritz Carlton, even stuff like Colours in Calgary and The Melville in Vancouver while not the most iconic kicks most of the new architecture in our city s butt. I understand things are improving, but why did it take a matter of 15 years (1990-2005, I'm just roughly making the numbers). Oh well, i guess it is a learning experience.
                                ----

Comment

Working...
                                X