No announcement yet.

The Quarters | Neighbourhood Revitalization | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So two questions. The graphics art building is being moved to this location? Second, what is a woonerf?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Correct.

woo·nerf
      /ˈvo͞onərf/
      noun
      a road in which devices for reducing or slowing the flow of traffic have been installed.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• That image doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe I just need some coffee...
        "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

• ^

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
            what is a woonerf?
            it is a word you use to make a lacking, unremarkable plan seem special

Comment

• One day the city is going to have to realise that pocket parks aren't some sort of cure-all. Especially here for the issues that the Quarters has.

Comment

• Technical terms too much for Edmontonians?

This is fantastic to see and a good design. Not sure about the "pocket park" comment. Pocket parks in my experience with cities and planning and setting them up is very different (smaller and on public land or former roads) not a plaza or shared public outdoor amenity space for a housing development...
                Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

• Originally posted by GenWhy? View Post
                  Technical terms too much for Edmontonians?
                  lol yeah when they're just used for the sake of being used and otherwise unnecessary since there's no traffic there to try to reduce...
                  it's "a" plan i suppose...

Comment

• Well that's going to be my word of the day. So would the north/south alley, going from Whyte Ave northwards between 104st and 105st, be considered a woonerf?
                    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• A woonerf is a low-traffic street that is designed to give drivers visual clues that they are effectively guests and must proceed with caution. Typically narrow without hard curbs and other normal "roadway" design features.

Here it looks like just a shared laneway. Would have been a "Mews" on the design board 15 years ago.

Whether the park is pocket or otherwise, this is not a location with a park deficit, not with the Boyle community league park on the next block south, and the LRT portal/Multiuse trail lands just to the north should become a proper linear park eventually; this extra park is just more park without much purpose.
                      There can only be one.

Comment

• Actually, it looks from the chosen illustration that they just mean public walkway. Which still might have been a "Mews" but is in no way related to a woonerf. Looks like the city doesn't know what a woonerf is either.

Woonerf/Mews design should be applied to 104 ave and 105 ave instead, those are local-access streets with no need for through traffic, they don't need to look like the industrial access streets that they were 50 years ago.
                        There can only be one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
                          Well that's going to be my word of the day. So would the north/south alley, going from Whyte Ave northwards between 104st and 105st, be considered a woonerf?
                          I think that's technically a plaza as it's pedestrian only and can be activated for public events like the Fringe.

Comment

• Mews are typically pedestrian walkways with sometimes main or secondary entrances facing onto it, while a woonerf can accept auto traffic.

Comment

• May 13, 2019
                              10124 - 96 STREET NW
                              Plan ND Blk 3 Lot 1

To rehabilitate an existing building and construct exterior and interior alterations. (Ociciwan Contemporary Art Collective)

Comment

• https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/n...tions-quarters

I wonder who owns these two buildings and who funds these two arts societies? Why is the City of Edmonton paying to fix their buildings? Can I have the City of Edmonton fix my building too please?

Comment

Working...
                                X