No announcement yet.

Mayfair Village| Residential (2 towers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayfair Village| Residential (2 towers)

Mayfair Hotel owners ponder demolition
    Ron Chalmers, edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 4:44 pm

EDMONTON - Owners of the Mayfair Hotel building, a Jasper Avenue landmark at 108th Street, are evicting all tenants to enable renovation or demolition of the 63-year-old structure.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...e34c943&k=3857

----------------------------

very interesting....i really hope this is the site for a new hotel/office with a good restaurant and some decent retail bays.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

As I am in a really crusty mood I will say this.

The parking lot countdown starts now.

Comment

New parking lots are prohibited on Jasper Avenue in the Downtown in and of themselves current list of permitted uses in the zoning notwithstanding.

Comment

instead of being negative...how about suggestions for the new redevelopment?

i envision this:

east half - hotel of 12 floors with main floor restaurant

west half - office tower of 12 floors with chapters in the NW corner fronting 109st kinda like on whyte with a second starbucks a la robson/thurlow

connecting these 2 towers have a wicked glass atrium for both developments with 2 floors of retail fronting jasper.

Comment

Does that apply to 111st and jasper, or is that not considered downtown?

Comment

I know.

Parking lots are also required to have a 2.5m landscape buffer. I also heard that a lot of the parking lots downtown were approved on temporary permits. I think they are also supposed to be paved? I also heard that non accessory parking lots are also prohibited in the zone next to the Canterra building?

Now that I am thinking about loopholes, what is there to guarantee that the lot won't be left fenced and vacant if a parking lot is not permitted?

Comment

Originally posted by mick
              Does that apply to 111st and jasper, or is that not considered downtown?
              downtown stops across the street from that...well more like a block.

Comment

Originally posted by BDavidson
                I know.

Parking lots are also required to have a 2.5m landscape buffer. I also heard that a lot of the parking lots downtown were approved on temporary permits. I think they are also supposed to be paved? I also heard that non accessory parking lots are also prohibited in the zone next to the Canterra building?

Now that I am thinking about loopholes, what is there to guarantee that the lot won't be left fenced and vacant if a parking lot is not permitted?

corner of 109st and jasper...just a little more valuable than any lot here or there. That would get huge $.sqft for retail.

Comment

Yes this lot is ripe for development and I am generally optimistic; however I have seen a few times where big promise turns to nothing.

Maybe a bond should be posted before demolition?

Comment

Originally posted by BDavidson
                    I know.

Dude I will just not let it occur on my watch. Period.

Comment

Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO
                        instead of being negative...how about suggestions for the new redevelopment?

i envision this:

east half - hotel of 12 floors with main floor restaurant

west half - office tower of 12 floors with chapters in the NW corner fronting 109st kinda like on whyte with a second starbucks a la robson/thurlow

connecting these 2 towers have a wicked glass atrium for both developments with 2 floors of retail fronting jasper.
                        Why do we need another Starbucks kitty-corner from the existing one, to replicate the sick joke at Robson/Thurlow? I would rather see the Corona Coffee Station re-open in a reconstructed office tower.
                        “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Please Please Please tell me Buon Thai is going to find a new home.

Seeing it close would be a huge loss to downtown.

Comment

if that site turns into a condo we will have basically admitted that business and commerce have moved on.

at that location, it must be office or nothing....

i would rather have a parking lot than condo.

iano has the right idea but i'd like to see more like 20 stories there...

and, i was kind of disappointed to see that hotel being so dive-y the last few years before it shut down. i always thought it was an interesting building and i thought it should have been doing better. interesting yes, but for some reason i have a hard time seeing it as historic. so blast away, but no condos!
                            City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Comment

^airport overlay my friend...

Comment

Working...
                              X