No announcement yet.

Clifton Place (High Street) | Residential | 16-25 stories | Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while i hate the cornice, colour, and roof, i really do like the overall massing of it so i wondered what it would look like if it were finished more modernly:

"By its nature, the metropolis provides what otherwise could be given only by traveling; namely, the strange." --J.J.

Comment

Originally posted by newfangled
      Originally posted by IanO
      i dont mind larger units catering to a specific demographic being put in certain areas such as high street. It will create a critical mass of older, higher income individuals who want to stay downtown with a maintenance free lifestyle who will eat out and shop in the area.
      That demographic already describes 90% of Oliver, core-boy.

People can have condos as big as they want them - I just don't know why they have to bring their suburban McMansion aesthetic with them. Or why developers (who - yes - are out to make a profit) need to encourage them.

It's time to leave that Germesian definition of "classy" back in the 80's.
      90% of oliver is older high income people...HA!

There are needs for your Clifton Place's, your ORP's, your Bellamy Hills....but there are plenty of needs for other types as well.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by IanO
        90% of oliver is older high income people...HA!
        Fine - 90% of Oliver south of Jasper then.

@ Whyteknight - exactly! Although now it doesn't fit with High Street or Concert... but it does nicely counter the Plaza 124 terracing.

Comment

Originally posted by whyteknight
          while i hate the cornice, colour, and roof, i really do like the overall massing of it so i wondered what it would look like if it were finished more modernly:

Great tower, but it would feel out of context from the High Street area imo. I think that this tower does a good job tieing into the existing architectural fabric. Yes, some of it may be faux-historic, but the use of materials, brick, pitched roofs exists and should be built upon.

Comment

Maybe somewhere between the two. Perhaps stronger vertical bands of brick. There is a rendering Ian posted in the Ironwood thread, I think, that was a good example a contemporary building with good use of vertical and horizontal bands of brick, that decreased the higher you went.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisD
              Originally posted by whyteknight

Great tower, but it would feel out of context from the High Street area imo. I think that this tower does a good job tieing into the existing architectural fabric. Yes, some of it may be faux-historic, but the use of materials, brick, pitched roofs exists and should be built upon.
              I think its important that there be a mix of various styles, interspersing modern sleek towers like Whyteknights will build a nice contrast to what is already there. I don't really want to see a strict style develop.

That said, I'm not opposed to seeing more of what you mentioned, but there has to be that mix.

Comment

Friendly mod reminder

Please don't mass quote, particularly when the quote contains a large image.

Take the time to delete some stuff out when using the reply button
                LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

^yeah, what he said

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by DanC
                    I think its important that there be a mix of various styles, interspersing modern sleek towers like Whyteknights will build a nice contrast to what is already there. I don't really want to see a strict style develop.

That said, I'm not opposed to seeing more of what you mentioned, but there has to be that mix.
                    That's just it though - there isn't a style in that area. The only authentic "historic" building is the Glenora B&B (and some very nice churches).

The houses are a mix from the 30's through 60's modern.
                    The towers are from the 70's to the 90's.
                    The storefronts range from the Glenora B&B to 1980's Plaza 124 to contemporary MEC.

High Street Properties is the only overtly retro building in the whole area. It's one building - there's no reason for Concert and Chifton to match it.

Contemporary absolutely would have worked there.

(Of course once all three towers are up, then a retro style would be firmly entrenched - I just don't think there was a need for it)

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC
                      Friendly mod reminder

Please don't mass quote, particularly when the quote contains a large image.

Take the time to delete some stuff out when using the reply button
                      I was referencing both posts in my quote.

Comment

Originally posted by DanC
                        I was referencing both posts in my quote.
                        Quote the text, but deleting the image tag is a good practice. It keeps the thread length down and also cuts back the loading time for people who may be on dialup or lite-speed connections.

I don't mean to pick on you in specific...this was just a thread where it happened and things have been pretty good as of late in that regard.
                        LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

I thought we as Edmontonians (especially this Forum) were demanding better for our city...This 'design' (first image) doesn't even come close.

This is NOT architecture...period.

In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

Comment

Originally posted by GoMod
                            I thought we as Edmontonians (especially this Forum) were demanding better for our city...This 'design' (first image) doesn't even come close.

This is NOT architecture...period.

I'm withholding judgment until a better rendering comes along. There is simply not enough detail to judge this one yet.
                            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Trust me...If such 'architects' allowed an image like this to be released from their studio, there is absolutely no way of turning this colossal catastrophe around between schematic design and design development.
                              In favour of Architecture that is of our time and place.

Comment

Umm, this is only an elevation massing to illustrate how it would 'look' on the site. It's not a rendering.

Comment

Working...
                                X