Official name Clifton Place
    Emporis Building Number 314280

City Edmonton
    State Alberta
    Country Canada

Technical Data
    Floors (OG) 16

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

yeah, I can't quite tell but are those grey columns supposed to be blass? some of them appear to be translucent, but hard to say. my response...

if they're glass = meh. not bad
    if they're concrete/stucco = bleh.

Comment

Alta Vista on Steroids?
      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

while you cant tell from this...i think it took cues from high street properties and will be very very well done. I can see a lot of masonry use and it looks like townhouses on the main...

i like it pending more details.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO
          while you cant tell from this...i think it took cues from high street properties and will be very very well done. I can see a lot of masonry use and it looks like townhouses on the main...
          It's off on a little sidestreet just past the iron bridge, so townhouses do make more sense than retail (although retail on the 102ave side wouldn't be a bad idea).

I really dislike the faux-historic trend that High Street Properties apparently started in this area though. There was no reason that it, the proposed Concert building, and this one couldn't have looked like contermporary structures rather than weird pastiche.

Comment

Don't like it.

Will wait for final rendering before passing final judgment.

Comment

If that's brick and glass, this building gets a big two thumbs up from me.
              Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by DanC
                Don't like it.

Will wait for final rendering before passing final judgment.
                me2
                President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Im not a fan of cornices on any tower built after 1920...We need to move forward in terms of architecture, and this doesnt do that at all.
                  "By its nature, the metropolis provides what otherwise could be given only by traveling; namely, the strange." --J.J.

Comment

Originally posted by whyteknight
                    Im not a fan of cornices on any tower built after 1920...We need to move forward in terms of architecture, and this doesnt do that at all.

Oliver and west Oliver are some of the most diverse areas in town - they could take almost anything architecurally.

But this, the Concert Properties, and High Street are basically overgrown McMansions. "It has a pointy roof, so it must be fancy." Blah.

Comment

^ @ the mcmansion comment

"Clifton Place: Your suburban dreamhouse, only 8x its size."
                      "By its nature, the metropolis provides what otherwise could be given only by traveling; namely, the strange." --J.J.

Comment

Not a fan, but I'll wait for a final rendering.

I agree on the cornices comment. It's becoming quite an eyesore to see every condo building have them.

Comment

i dont mind larger units catering to a specific demographic being put in certain areas such as high street. It will create a critical mass of older, higher income individuals who want to stay downtown with a maintenance free lifestyle who will eat out and shop in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO
                            i dont mind larger units catering to a specific demographic being put in certain areas such as high street. It will create a critical mass of older, higher income individuals who want to stay downtown with a maintenance free lifestyle who will eat out and shop in the area.
                            That demographic already describes 90% of Oliver, core-boy.

People can have condos as big as they want them - I just don't know why they have to bring their suburban McMansion aesthetic with them. Or why developers (who - yes - are out to make a profit) need to encourage them.

It's time to leave that Germesian definition of "classy" back in the 80's.

Comment

Not sure if I like it, but I'd like to see better renderings of it before passing more judgement.
                              Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                              X