Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Molson Brewery Redevelopment | Commercial and Retail | Under Construction

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/070731/b0731133A.html

The Molson brewery on 104 Ave and 120-ish street is closing down due to the ongoing strike and lack of expansion capability. They make it sound as if it's closing for good.

If that's the case, it seems like this would be a pretty good site for redevelopment. I doubt there'd be huge contamination issues.

Thoughts?

Duplicate thread...see this link:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...365&highlight=

Comment

ripe for redevelopment and combine that with crosstown potentially moving out....hello massive land

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

New downtown arena

Land contaminated with beer, would be like the "tar sands" where you can get a keg for every ton of soil removed.

Shame to see Edmonton loosing an employer though, if it was just about expansion surely they would look to build elsewhere?
        Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Comment

Re: Molson Brewery shutting down

Originally posted by nobleea
          http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/070731/b0731133A.html

If that's the case, it seems like this would be a pretty good site for redevelopment. I doubt there'd be huge contamination issues.

Thoughts?
          I'm willing to bet that more than a few people will make a case for preserving the original building (the old Sicks Brewery) building on 121 Street. So if a developer could incorporate that into some new project, we might see something. But expect a fight if someone dares to propose a large condo development.
          Almost always open to debate...

Comment

I'm surprised the brewery is not a protected historical resource (which I read in the Journal)... it certainly should be!
            "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

Apparently it is on the 'A' list. The archivist was wrong.

Comment

phew...Thank goodness! That area could become something nice with this building as an anchor...
                "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoForMayor
                  phew...Thank goodness! That area could become something nice with this building as an anchor...
                  I agree wholeheartedly. This is one older building (and how many 100+ year-old brick buildings do we have here?) that should definitely be preserved, though as what?

Comment

Good question. There is an old distillery/brewery area which has been redeveloped in Toronto with funky shops & restaurants, maybe that could serve as somewhat of a blueprint. With the car dealership closing down right next to it, there is a sizable area which could be turned into a pedestrian friendly shopping district, maybe with some entertainment added to the mix. We are in dire need of more music venues, so maybe it could be something music focused... how about a museum or hall of fame for Alberta musicians? Edmonton is starting to make a name for itself for developing great musical talent, so that could help cement this reputation and at the same time help develop younger talent.
                    Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoForMayor
                      Good question. There is an old distillery/brewery area which has been redeveloped in Toronto with funky shops & restaurants, maybe that could serve as somewhat of a blueprint. With the car dealership closing down right next to it, there is a sizable area which could be turned into a pedestrian friendly shopping district, maybe with some entertainment added to the mix. We are in dire need of more music venues, so maybe it could be something music focused... how about a museum or hall of fame for Alberta musicians? Edmonton is starting to make a name for itself for developing great musical talent, so that could help cement this reputation and at the same time help develop younger talent.
                      Just a thought...
                      Excellent suggestion...

Comment

David, perhaps you could write an article on the potential redevelopment opportunities with the Molson lands and adjacent properties.

There are many examples of this throughout N. America. If you want PM me and I can provide you with some references or commentary.

Comment

While I was in Denver this weekend a friend of mine showed me a condo she did the lighting in.

It was an old flour mill and each floor had 20 ft ceilings, condos went for at least 2 million each.

*hint, hint*
                          LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Maybe some brewing capacity should be retained within the building for a local microbrewery.
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by MylesC
                              While I was in Denver this weekend a friend of mine showed me a condo she did the lighting in.

It was an old flour mill and each floor had 20 ft ceilings, condos went for at least 2 million each.

*hint, hint*
                              Myles, don't you think it would be better to tear down the 100 year old brick heritage building and put up a walk-up stucco covered condo complex made out of particle board like the one in Macewan?
                              City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

Comment

Working...
                              X