No announcement yet.

The all-encompassing Northlands site redevelopment thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it one last flash of brilliance, it now looks like the city has committed to closing the coliseum permanently without possibility of re-purposing it for any reason at all, even if it is not a sporting or entertainment use, or else the city will forfeit it's $17 million dollars for the luxury box seat that no one uses

Well I guess the only thing left to do is tear it down. Let's end this embarrassing, bumbling mess once and for all
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

City council has voted against exploring private options for the coliseum. The coliseum is officially closed, and will never re-open for any use. One can only surmise that demolition of the facility is imminent
      Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

When do the bulldozers move in? Demo it - put up a parking lot, dare I say, gravel?Jk guys. Sucks to hear but I agree with 240GLT.
        I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
        While people behind me, are going insane.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
          City council has voted against exploring private options for the coliseum. The coliseum is officially closed, and will never re-open for any use. One can only surmise that demolition of the facility is imminent
          sometimes i think we’re so ham strung not just by a lack of imagination but by refusing to even allow for the possibility of imagination. we just move so easily from how we screwed up one thing to how to screw up the next thing. we throw millions at someone else’s ideas and events instead of growing our own. we hold architectural competitions and don’t follow the plans. we pick sleek bridge designs and change the seamless welds to bolted connections. we do the first lrt in a city if our size and then let it languish for decades and spend decades more picking the next route but never quite commiting to it. we spend half our time consulting with citizens who only understand half the issues big or small and then we ignore their recommendations anyway until the next round of public consultation starts all over again. and we do it with everything like it’s normal. it’s a good thing it’s friday.... happy spring everybody.
          Last edited by kcantor; 23-03-2018, 09:45 PM.
          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Sadly, you are not wrong - at all. Only solution is forward though.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Soderstrom View Post
              Sadly, you are not wrong - at all. Only solution is forward though.
              it’s kind of hard to move forward if you’re sitting down with your arms and legs crossed thinking you’ve got this nailed already.

even those areas where we can see things happening are too often happening because someone dragged us there kicking and screaming, not because we were actually working hard to move things forward.
              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

You nailed it.

I've said this for 30 years.

My dad has been saying this for 50 years.

Maybe it's in our water lol.

Comment

Can the city break the agreement with Katz group that disenfranchises Rexall Place as a competitor for Rogers? I mean, it’s in the best interest of the public to keep that industry from being monopolized, and selling it off with stipulations to private interests to me is a far better idea than using tens of millions of tax payers dollars to demolish the thing.

What are the legal repercussions of such a move?
                  There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Comment

A major lawsuit. A big pay out to Katz. The court upholding the agreement.

Comment

There are so many usage for this without competing with Rogers
                      This is shameful to waste a good structure. This could be turned into a training ground for amature athletes for various sports of summer and winter. No wonder our province and country are in debt when our priority is like this.
                      " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

It's a great loacation why not mid rises mixed with retail ? Lrt is right there tons of traffic as Gretzky connects with yellowhead. And on a different note do you think that hotel across from there will convert to rental units ?

Comment

The Coliseum land is a great location. Maybe Northlands could expand into that area with a concert hall or something since we're getting so many concerts. Long & McQuade sees potential in that location across the street. They might know something we don't.
                          Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Northlands as an organization is essentially dead. The Coliseum is done. The Expo centre is now run by Economic Development. The race track is closed. I wouldn't count on any major initiatives from them.

Comment

We have enough concert venues.

^^
                              I say do both and add on a rec centre in the arena as well. Athletes in training could inspire and motivate young kids to become great contributes to society. Imagine working out with Olympic athletes. You often hear how new medalist were inspired by past champions and how they wanted to be like them.
                              " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Agreement with Katz precludes it's use for sports or entertainment.

Comment

Working...
                                X