Provincial Super Lab - South Campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh the ol' Agnes Skinner model.

16 seconds in, if it doesn't autoseek there.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• I’ve done a lot of work for govts throughout my life and they are a pain in the as each time. Too many cooks spoiling the soup, plus unusual protocols. Also very slow on the paying end.
      Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

• From my experience as grief counsellor for a friend who has had to deal with Alberta Infrastructure internally for several facility moves, they confuse confidence with competence for their in-house responsibilities as well, ignoring the stakeholders after torturous series of meetings, staff turnover with loss of organizational intelligence, rushed "cost-saving" endeavours that jack up final costs, time and effort wasted on trying to jam services into whatever surplus space they need to use to justify past poor decisions in acquiring or retaining it, and just a host of unnecessary grief for folks who try hard to play along and be responsible for their end of the discovery-requirements phases, only to be ignored and subjected to an inevitable (and thoroughly predictable) clusterf*ck that drives the good people away.
        I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

• Nah, sticking it to Edmonton and ensuring that a few more sandwiches are sold downtown is more important than quality health care.

Killing Edmonton superlab 'doesn't change the evidence' it's needed, health council says

Announced three years ago, the plan was based on a review conducted in 2016 by the health quality council, which has a legislated mandate to promote and improve patient safety and health service quality in Alberta.

"We certainly understand that the government has to look at its priorities and available funding for all their different projects so we understand difficult decisions were made in regard to the lab project," Andrew Neuner, the council's CEO, said Friday.

Neuner said the health quality council's recommendation to bring lab services under a single public-sector platform is still valid, since it came out of a larger data review after consulting with more than 1,400 people.

"The evidence still exists to support that," he said. "We respect the government has to balance a variety of priorities and funding ability in order to move forward with it but it doesn't change the evidence."

Current issues with Edmonton's lab services delivery include outdated equipment, along with inconsistent information systems and reporting protocols, Neuner said.

He said consolidating lab services would have provided more government control over public policy, increased efficiency and allowed Albertans to receive their lab tests and results in a more timely manner.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...eded-1.5185263

Comment

• ^Takes guts for the CEO of the Health Quality Council of Alberta to directly contradict the UCP government on the need for the superlab. Good for him for speaking truth to power.

Comment

• ^I don't think most are debating the 'need' for a superlab or some type of centralized facility. It's a matter of whether it's better managed privately or publicly.

At the end of the day I think we're going to see this regurgitated along with commencing construction on the lab. I'm calling it now

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...es-in-edmonton

Comment

• Even if they do, it won't be until the next election when the UCP can dangle it like a carrot in front of the Edmonton electorate.

Comment

• Highly unlikely, I think you'll see this happen within the next 12 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
                    Highly unlikely, I think you'll see this happen within the next 12 months.
                    That would be a major reversal for Kenney then since everything he's said to date indicates he's perfectly happy with the status quo.
                    "Our priority is patients and their timely care," Kenney said. "The NDP priority is a government monopoly in everything including back-end lab services, which are already being done effectively by Albertans through an Alberta private company using ... primarily a downtown office building."
                    Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...-ndp-1.5051939

Comment

• Originally posted by OffWhyte View Post
                      Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
                      That would be a major reversal for Kenney then since everything he's said to date indicates he's perfectly happy with the status quo.
                      "Our priority is patients and their timely care," Kenney said. "The NDP priority is a government monopoly in everything including back-end lab services, which are already being done effectively by Albertans through an Alberta private company using ... primarily a downtown office building."
                      Just watch. But I think we'll see this go right back to where it should have gone back in 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
                        Originally posted by OffWhyte View Post
                        Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
                        Just watch. But I think we'll see this go right back to where it should have gone back in 2015.
                        So by "where it should have gone back in 2015" do you mean back to a contract awarded to a private vendor through a flawed RFP process?

Comment

• The best solution would be to resume construction of the super lab and have AHS operate it as a key component of a single integrated provincially medical laboratory service.

Since Kenney is ideologically opposed to this, a second best solution would be resume construction and have Dynalife operate the new lab once its completed. This would likely mean that most of the $50 million purchase of Dynalife's equipment and other assets could be saved.

To go back to square one and launch a new RFP process that resulted in the Sonic Healthcare fiasco would be the worst option.

Comment

• Danielle Smith was subbing for Ryan Jespersen on CHED today. Here's her interview with the minister of Health on the lab cancellation.. He said he wants to use a hub and spoke model, basically continuing running simpler tasks at privately run labs for them to profit and sending the expensive and time consuming stuff to the a central health board lab in each city. He said that was the model in Calgary, and mentioned he would be putting out the proposal for a hub lab for RFP, and Dynalife could bid on it; I wouldn't rule out them giving the work to the Calgary group, given the historic loyalties of Conservative parties in the past in this province. It would be an interesting result if Dynalife lost its bid for lab work after winning the campaign to close the super lab.

Comment

• ^The central lab serving Southern Alberta is Calgary Laboratory Services, a fully-owned subsidiary of AHS. So I'm not sure what you mean by the Calgary group?

The hub and spoke model sounds a lot like what the Health Quality Council proposed and was being implemented by the NDP. Most or all of the satellite labs operated by Dynalife as collection/diagnostic sites would have remained open. Only several older hospital based labs would have been consolidated into the central lab.

Comment

• ^And Calgary Lab Services doesn't exist anymore - it's already been folded into Alberta Public Laboratories

Comment

Working...
                                X