No announcement yet.

Provincial Super Lab - South Campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My understanding is that they needed a hefty footprint so they can expand their lab services offerings as well. Some of the analytical stuff is sent over the border for analysis. This is mainly due to size constraints at their existing facilities.

This is also not just about Dynalife... but every single lab service that is currently completed at the various Capital region hospitals. This is also centralizing certain analyses for the entire province for items not needing "immediate results." I believe the AHS lab services personnel dwarf the amount of Dynalife personnel going to this new facility.

My knowledge is limited to whatever my wife tells me, as she works for one of the UofA Hospital Labs that is likely being slated to be part of the move.

Comment

I have unapproved some posts that were over the top on being insulting and inflammatory. Please keep the angst against any individual down, and debate the points please.
      Ow

Comment

Originally posted by kcantor View Post
        Originally posted by IanO View Post
        Originally posted by Medwards View Post
        IanO, have you spoke with any folks that agree that the move is a good idea? It seems you only want to represent the people that support your agenda already (much like you did during your tenure with DECL)
        Having worked for an architect, I agree that a dedicated building for a specialized use is probably reasonable, but given the cost, timing and impact... I am not supportive.

Please once again refer to our role, agenda, mandate. This is something we simply cannot support for a variety of reasons and have many others Downtown who support our decision.
        Originally posted by noodle View Post
        You might want to take the rest of the day off from C2E. It's not gonna be your day around these parts.
        If there is any day to be around, this is one of them to provide some clarity, perspective and rational.
        Originally posted by OffWhyte View Post

But please recognize our mandate and role, in that we are here to retain jobs and employers in the Downtown, not on South Campus.
        Retain jobs downtown at any cost? Would the DBA be happy keeping the jobs downtown even if doing so could be demonstrated to negatively affect healthcare?
        Of course not at any cost good sir, but having spoken with many folks on this matter over the last year and following the whole Dynacare/Dynalife/Australian/Cancellation/Reconsideration story, I am not convinced building a new lab and bringing it back as a public entity is the right move, at least not right now given the Provincial financial situation. Show me some numbers.
        "Having worked for an architect..."

"...I am not supportive."

"...to provide some clarity, perspective and rational."

"Of course not at any cost good sir..."

emphasis added...

do you have any idea how condescending and pompous your writing is whenever you posts are questioned? and here i thought i was bad and needed to continue to work hard to overcome that. you seem to work hard to make a point of it.

"good sir"? good grief.

"to provide clarity, perspective and rational [sic]"? from you personally or from dba as their representative or spokesperson?

"i am not supportive"? personally or as a representative/spokesperson for dba? please note this answer should be the same as for the one above.

"having worked for an architect"? ffs, really? is that somehow better than having worked for a lawyer or a contractor or a planner or alberta health services or a plumber who knows what he's doing and what he's working with? do you not think real architects were involved with the programming and planning behind this decision?
        Ian speaks for all of downtown like Kenney speaks for all Albertans: with extreme bias, and without their consent.
        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Ian if not now when? As you seem to think the UCP will be elected next year it could be another 40 years before the much needed lab gets built.
          “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

The population centre of the city is moving south at an ever increasing rate and will continue to do so as the airport lands and surrounding properties get developed. Additionally the city has annexed a massive amount of land or has agreed to do so. Having the lab south of the river strategically makes a lot of sense.
            “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

I can't see any real basis to arguments for south side over north side. The north side will also continue to grow, and a location say alongside NAIT would be as convenient to a major hospital as the south campus is to UofA, as well as equal access to a freeway and vacant publicly owned land.

The difference is this land is owned by the province, not the city, it has better transit access and is adjacent to existing provincial facilities.

Has there been any indication whether this new lab would include the collecting/retail/public side? Being right on the LRT line it would be a decent location to stop if your docter needs you to give a sample.
              There can only be one.

Comment

I just want this finalized and built anywhere in Edmonton before the UCP comes in, cancels it, and then builds it in Calgary at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander II View Post
                  Has there been any indication whether this new lab would include the collecting/retail/public side? Being right on the LRT line it would be a decent location to stop if your docter needs you to give a sample.
                  Strictly back-of-house, no collecting.
                  Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander II View Post

Yes, Top_Dawg heard that they will have a collection box right on the LRT platform where patients can drop off their dirty shorts.

If you are fast enough you may even be able to get back on the same train.

Comment

Originally posted by B.ike View Post
                      I just want this finalized and built anywhere in Edmonton before the UCP comes in, cancels it, and then builds it in Calgary at a later date.
                      Its more likely the other way round - NDP desperately needs votes in Calgary to have any hope of forming next government. UCP would be looking for votes in Edmonton (although may not need it if can form Calgary / rural coalition).

Comment

The site is ok, the GoA owns the land. I would have put my money on the Golden west lands in the north end. The infrastructure needed for any new lab is more demanding than when they built downtown. 2015 Alberta Infrastructure Guidelines, The 2010 Blue Book, CSA Z317.2 and Z316.5 all dictate a much more substantial facility. From what I read there will be specialty lab and testing facility with patient walk in.
                        Currently involved with Lab upgrades at 5 medical centres.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                          Originally posted by B.ike View Post
                          Its more likely the other way round - NDP desperately needs votes in Calgary to have any hope of forming next government. UCP would be looking for votes in Edmonton (although may not need it if can form Calgary / rural coalition).
                          Calgary got the Cancer centre, and the south Medical Campus a few years ago. we got......an announcement that we may in the next few years get a new SW Hospital Campus and up grades to another one. None of that money has been allocated as far as I can see.

Comment

I am probably more surprised to the reaction that IanO and the DBA are not happy with the move out of the core than with the position that the DBA (via extension of its hired leader/spokesperson) is taking. To expect that the DBA does not like losing headcount is like being surprised that union leaders dislike headcount losses.

It is also surprising that there is this large of an amount of angst at how much the conversation has shifted to downtown. I think most of us can remember a time where there was zero conversation about anything downtown. Like all normal change of cycles, there usually is a pendulum swing so far in the other direction before the market or process corrects itself. The conversation over the past 4 years has become one that can be summed up with the new anthem of, “downtown, downtown, über alles”. It even manifested itself when a rural community was losing immigration jobs to downtown Edmonton, and the downtown cabal couldn’t care less about the devastation done to a community, and wouldn’t dare tolerate those jobs going anywhere else but downtown. So my only criticism is that the conversation may have gone too far in the other direction and needs to correct itself to where it belongs.

That said, when it comes to this specific conversation, I can completely agree with the move out of the downtown core. I may not be an architect, but I’m a 25 year consultant that's done logistics and manufacturing for a diverse group of clients. Throw in a smattering of organizational change management, and the move out of downtown makes nothing but logical sense. Given the mandate and mission of a lab of this scope, given the location of most of the major medical facilities in this city, and given the far-flung nature of many of the medical centres and smaller clinics, putting this downtown and forcing all that traffic into the core is foolhardy. The LRT means absolutely nothing to this lab outside of potential employee transportation. The lab needs to gather samples from many disparate locations that are not serviced by rapid transit. That means cars. Forcing these cars to negotiate downtown traffic is silly, especially since the downtown has done everything possible to choke itself off from easy access including the rather haphazard addition of the bicycle lanes.

The South Campus location makes sense for many reasons. It has flowing accesses on the Whitemud, Argyle, Gateway, Henday, and Groat Road. It is adjacent to one of the largest training institutions in the city, and one of the largest hospitals in the city. The existing Misericordia hospital (and its replacement location), along with the Grey Nuns, are all on easy access routes. Hospitals in Stony Plain, Devon, Leduc, Sherwood Park, and St. Albert have relatively easy freeway access. Most of the medical clinics are outside of the downtown core. There is significant growth south. Deliveries can be easily made without adding more congestion to an already congested downtown, and one that could get more congested with more appropriate businesses if they were ever sourced. If this facility is to take in tests from throughout the province and elsewhere, then putting it outside of the downtown core makes even more sense and potentially looking at spots in Windermere come into play.

The only other potential location that makes sense would be on the Blatchford lands. It would be adjacent to the largest hospital in Alberta (the Royal Alexandria Hospital), adjacent to a significant teaching institution in the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, (and still close enough to Grant McEwan), have the available land to build, and immediately adjacent to the Yellowhead, Henday, Wayne Gretzky Drive, and all the periphery hospitals and extended routes just like the South Campus location.

So I will gladly sit with Ian and talk about this in very simple, matter-of-fact conversation. It is unfortunate that a change in government was brought up because not only would a more conservative government put this facility outside of the downtown core for the very reasons I just mentioned, it shouldn’t be a political administration conversation in any way. I have my concerns with the current administration on some specific files, but I also have some serious concerns with the opposition party vying to become the administration of the Alberta government. My opinion on the specific files doesn’t change depending on who’s in power.

Again, I get the Downtown Business Association’s position. I don’t agree with it, it is a bit self-serving, but their mandate is to promote the downtown and to keep businesses downtown – hence why am absolutely not surprised with their stance. I do hope that the city overall starts thinking regionally instead of just talking about it… because that to me is the number one killer of our progress. Egocentrism need not apply…
                            President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Good post, Richard.
                              Almost always open to debate...

Comment

For the record, I didn't say a change in Government, I said a 'new government'.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                                X