No announcement yet.

Provincial Super Lab - South Campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't on-going operational costs preclude Downtown almost immediately, given that there's no space to expand in the core & without expansion/consolidation we'll lose out on the economies of scale that centralization brings? How can Downtown compete with a provincially-owned building, on provincially-owned land, leveraging massive economies of scale in an area that's cheaper/easier to operate in than a renovated shopping centre that itself was the silk purse made from the sow's ear which was the aborted second Manulife?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
      Originally posted by kcantor View Post
      blood and specimen samples don’t move themselves around on the lrt, they arrive at the lab in vans from every hospital and collection lab in the region and from the international airport since the mini was closed. the new location is better than the existing one.
      Sure, but why not build it at YEG if you think the airport / transport access is the main thing, farmland is probably even cheaper there than South Campus lands (which could be used for residential or soccer fields, you know, facilities that make life better for people in Edmonton)? But its not about samples is it, if you take the time to read the OP article you will see how a more important factor is the tie in to medical facilities / expertise like the UofA (which is why LRT matters if it can't be at the UofA, and why YEG doesn't make sense and why the highway access in non-consequential).

Or, we could consider that the centre of Edmonton is downtown not Whitemud drive, that there is spare office space waiting to be filled, and the LRT provides just as good a link for medical researchers to UofA as from South campus. But then again, who cares about the center when so many are trying to move everything south away from the "riff raff" they fear in the north / downtown?
      my god you appear dumber the more you post. This is a lab, not office space. A lab that has been occupying what should be a podium of an office tower. A podium which was meant for retail, not a lab.
      The cost of land at south campus is free. The province already owns the land the lab will go on. South Campus is meant for these types of facilities.
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^350M would pay for decades of downtown lease, and its not all "up front" then. I expect the UCP will scrap this, but lets wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards
          You edited my quote?
          Actually, the more accurate statement is that I was misquoted or that you crafted your own quote to fit your own agenda.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
            Wouldn't on-going operational costs preclude Downtown almost immediately, given that there's no space to expand in the core
            Its called leasing more floors or space in neighboring buildings, it happens all the time with growing businesses in downtowns all over the world, its how downtowns grow, and a lab hardly needs high end space, any class B or C building will do.

Comment

The nonsensical protestation about the lab moving has more to do with the lack of success in attracting businesses Downtown than anything else. If we had a Downtown where businesses want to be the transitory loss of what amounts to a negligible amount of jobs for Edmonton writ large wouldn't really matter.

800 people is roughly half of what we added in terms of new jobs across the city in December, but in a Downtown that's already plagued with oversupply of office & retail space that's a much bigger localized hit.
              Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Wouldn't on-going operational costs preclude Downtown almost immediately, given that there's no space to expand in the core
                Its called leasing more floors or space in neighboring buildings, it happens all the time with growing businesses in downtowns all over the world, its how downtowns grow, and a lab hardly needs high end space, any class B or C building will do.
                It's like you think this is an administrative office & not the centralized clinical diagnostic laboratory.

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                  Originally posted by Medwards
                  You edited my quote?
                  Actually, the more accurate statement is that I was misquoted or that you crafted your own quote to fit your own agenda.
                  Acttttuualllllyyy, you lost any chance of holding the moral high ground when you did your own selective edit rather than just ignore it entirely.

You might want to take the rest of the day off from C2E. It's not gonna be your day around these parts.

Comment

It's like you think this is an administrative office & not the centralized clinical diagnostic laboratory.
                    I think having the centralized clinical diagnostic laboratory in the center of the city, where it is at the moment and where there is lots of free space (I'm sure could easily rent an entire building), makes more sense than a non-centralized centralized clinical diagnostic laboratory that destroys a soccer field in the wop-wops.
                    Last edited by moahunter; 09-01-2018, 10:29 AM. Reason: soccer not football (not a rugby field thankfully)

Comment

But please recognize our mandate and role, in that we are here to retain jobs and employers in the Downtown, not on South Campus.
                      Retain jobs downtown at any cost? Would the DBA be happy keeping the jobs downtown even if doing so could be demonstrated to negatively affect healthcare?

Comment

I think having the centralized clinical diagnostic laboratory in the center of the city, where it is at the moment and where there is lots of free space (I'm sure could easily rent an entire building), makes more sense than a non-centralized centralized clinical diagnostic laboratory that destroys a soccer field in the wop-wops.
                        South Campus is "in the wop-wops"? I know you're not from here, but try to not sound like a complete dithering fool every time you open your mouth to stir the pot.

Comment

Practically in the midst of pastoral meadows:

Comment

Hopefully most of the employees take the train rather than drive. Fox Drive, Belgravia, 114/113 street are already pretty congested in the morning and afternoon drives.

Comment

I'm sure an efficient purpose-built lab has requirements you won't get in an already-existing commercial highrise. I'm not sold that the proposed location is more accessible, but a dedicated structure designed and built for the purpose is probably warranted.
                              "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by OffWhyte View Post

But please recognize our mandate and role, in that we are here to retain jobs and employers in the Downtown, not on South Campus.
                                Retain jobs downtown at any cost? Would the DBA be happy keeping the jobs downtown even if doing so could be demonstrated to negatively affect healthcare?
                                Of course not at any cost good sir, but having spoken with many folks on this matter over the last year and following the whole Dynacare/Dynalife/Australian/Cancellation/Reconsideration story, I am not convinced building a new lab and bringing it back as a public entity is the right move, at least not right now given the Provincial financial situation. Show me some numbers.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                                X