No announcement yet.

Provincial Super Lab - South Campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Downtown Edmonton Memorial Lab, since evidently the move is a death sentence...
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• WhatIDon'tHaveToPayForParkingAnymore Lab?
      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Most Likely they will have to pay for parking, following the precedent of Alberta Health Services as well as The existing provincial structured parking that I'm aware of.
        There can only be one.

Comment

• Brown Bag, Dont Care Super Lab!
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Careful there Medwards & Noodle or you might get a stern PM from the DBA telling you that they know your bosses and that you’d better mind your P’s & Q’s or else
            Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

• I'm just going to go on the record now and state that I do not wish to be contacted via PM from anyone employed or performing work, or acting as an agent for the DBA or the DECL for that matter. Any such contact will be considered a violation of the recently introduced rules by Admin and reported immediately. DO NOT CONTACT ME.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Comment

• A stern PM ?

Comment

• "Please stop"

Comment

• Originally posted by Highlander II View Post
                    Most Likely they will have to pay for parking, following the precedent of Alberta Health Services as well as The existing provincial structured parking that I'm aware of.
                    It's actually law that Parking has to be self sustaining, and that Alberta Health Dollars cannot go towards building and/or maintaining parking. Hence, the parking fees at AHS and Covenant facilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                      I'm just going to go on the record now and state that I do not wish to be contacted via PM from anyone employed or performing work, or acting as an agent for the DBA or the DECL for that matter. Any such contact will be considered a violation of the recently introduced rules by Admin and reported immediately. DO NOT CONTACT ME.YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!
                      Why say this in this thread? Why antagonize? You don't need to respond, but if there was a PM that you found antagonistic, then just report it. If you received a PM from someone you didn't want, then tell him/her/he/she/ze/zot/zowie that you don't want to be contacted...maybe even cc'ing Admin. Like I said before, disagreeing doesn't mean having to be disagreeable.

Originally posted by KC View Post
                      Just throwing in a cross-ref to a similar jobs shifting issue:Edmonton may get new jobs at Vegreville's expensehttp://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...ille-s-expense
                      ...I caught this post while re-reading the thread...and I even referenced it in some of my earlier writing in this thread. Yes, there are parallels at 50,000 feet...the biggest being the loss of a good number of high paying jobs from one area to another, with alleged political patronage or poor political timing as a backdrop. However, the parallels start to break down when you deep dive.

IF...these bureaucratic paper processing style jobs...which require absolutely no outside public contact to perform the duty...were initially in the downtown core of Edmonton and the Feds were planning to move them out to, say, Jasper Place, Millwoods, etc...I would actually revise my stance and stand with the DBA in saying these jobs are unnecessarily being moved. These are cubicle farm jobs that process requests and assess forms. These do not require a substantial amount of floor space to accommodate specific equipment...or easy access to repair/remove/upgrade the same. These jobs are not as time critical as lab samples. These jobs do not need to be immediately adjacent to a major learning/teaching institution. With 2018 technology, often the original paper is scanned and electronically transmitted, or filled online in the first place. This would be a net loss of location appropriate, well paying jobs from the core, and just like the proposed move from Veg..unnecessary.

However, a smaller centre like Veg does not have even one iota of the clout to ever recruit another centre like what they have now. The DBA - in conjunction with the City, EEDC, and the ears of the province - has an arsenal of weapons at their disposal. 250 jobs, while making a mark, could be recruited in a downtown case. Recruitment is exactly the mandate of the organizations I mention...we spend millions on this. While 250 jobs is a mark for downtown, for Veg, they are irreplaceable. Further contrasting the issue was the attitude in the Veg thread that Veg didn't deserve these jobs, and that downtown Edmonton hubris of Downtown Uber Alles came to rear its ugly head as people chided good neighbors in places like Veg...or Stony, Spruce, etc. as being rural, uneducated hicks that deserved to be punished...for whatever reason. Deeper to the issue is that...ok...we speak of a diverse economy and opportunity for all...does that need to be at the expense of our neighbors who (with O&G being pretty much the only game in town) have really no capacity to react, and even less support from their alleged friends and neighbors in Capital City?

If the province's 2015 GDP report is accurate, Ag is ~1.6% in 2015...and that is COMBINED with Forestry. Miniscule comparatively...yet there is this attitude that Ag would be a saviour? I could really rant on Ag and how it is really in trouble...but that is another thread...

This lab, given the space needed, the land already owned, and the opportunity to redirect other headcount downtown while keeping the overall numbers of City headcount somewhat whole, would have me taking the collaborative approach of using the clout I have as Edmonton, and Downtown Edmonton, to take a more altruistic approach (somewhat similar to the stance I have with Veg) to get the big lab built for the sake of Edmonton...and work to get other cubicle farm style GoA headcount transferred DT. I think this is the root cause of why so many don't appreciate the current stance posed by the DBA on the lab file.

Conclusion...sure, at the highest level the two can be juxtaposed. The devil is in the details...
                      President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

• Richard, jesus christ you at one point had a sense of humour, ny comment was a response to 240glt. Lighten up.

Comment

• I once had a sense of humour...and I still do.

...but one does get tired of some things...

Comment

• Well now...I guess the whole world just changed. Call off the dogs IanO, the lab is staying Downtown.

http://emrb.ca/Website/media/PDF/Pub...nteractive.pdf

Check out page 25 - 27.

Downtown Edmonton is now defined by a colossal area...and the U of A, all of Old Strathcona, and this new lab are Downtown.

IanO is now king of the world! Membership in the DBA is now what....100 fold?

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                              Well now...I guess the whole world just changed. Call off the dogs IanO, the lab is staying Downtown.

http://emrb.ca/Website/media/PDF/Pub...nteractive.pdf

Check out page 25 - 27.

Downtown Edmonton is now defined by a colossal area...and the U of A, all of Old Strathcona, and this new lab are Downtown.

IanO is now king of the world! Membership in the DBA is now what....100 fold?
                              on top of that RichardS, all of the icons and pictographs they curated are all so, so, so... iconic and pictographic!
                              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• It's funny that the DBA is actively trying to block a lab from moving, but one member on the DBA has done everything possible to avoid other businesses moving in. Shame. Some how a medical lab belongs in the CBD while a sports pub doesn't? Bravo.

Comment

Working...
                                X