Clear All

• MetroEd
    replied
    yes i'm curious about that too?

Leave a comment:

• ctzn-Ed
    replied
    How are they for sales?
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 26-12-2019, 11:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Back in Town
    replied
    Yes, I do. Its not great, by any stretch, yet its one of the very, very few places of conventional urbanity in the city with proper density, street life, sense of place, etc.. So, that is saying something: given I think the quality of the individuals buildings varies alot and yet the overall effect is that it feels like 'city' rather than a field of recently unpacked buildings that scream out - keep moving, there is nothing here, this zone is 100% dead, run back to the suburbs! And, just because I don't want to have an online scrap about this (its exhausting to read, never mind participate in), I am happy if you have a different opinion and I am willing to change mine as well. But, it wont' be easy. I am just back from Montreal and Toronto (I am there frequently) and want to confirm that there are alot of ugly buildings there but its still engaging to walk down a street. What I don't like about Falcon is the terrible street level interaction it creates: fortress, fortress, entrance, fortress, fortress, etc. I was with the Chief of Police in Melbourne last year, told him that I from Edmonton, and he said, "Whats a fine fella like you doing from an ugly, dirty, lifeless city like Edmonton (he had just been to visit EPS). Julian Agyeman, Tufts University and respected European urbanist, commented that downtown Edmonton was a collection of ghost towers, surronded by bungalows and malls. I could go on and on (my Institute used to work alot with Jane Jacobs, so we got to spent time with a huge network of urban planners, city builders, and urbanists). Edmonton is getting so much better, but the Falcons towers are a completely irritating, lazy, piece of work that illustrates that we are still partly a city of farmers (something the former Edmonton Symphony Orchestra Conductor noted). So, a long week, too much travel, and I am easily frustrated, but I will end with, "C'mon Edmonton - want more, stretch for more, be more. I love this city, because its my own, but I love it like someone who has a relative who is not much of anything, but loved because they are family. Ok, enough for a Friday night before bed, when all I really wanted to do was see some urban pictures of my town before I hit the hay!

Leave a comment:

• bolo
    replied
    ^^ You argue that 104st north of Jasper Ave is one of the best streets in Edmonton, but it is completely comprised of even worse designed towers (icon 1 & 2, century, Fox 1 & 2). It's hard to conclude that this development will negatively impact how well regarded the street is.

Leave a comment:

• GizmoForMayor
    replied
    ^ completely agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• Back in Town
    replied
    Hello All,

I understand the urge to 'fill empty lots' but this is arguably one of the best streets in the city (the north side of Jasper anyways).

The Falcons are such a step backwards. Its not the EPL by any stretch, but its 'phone-it-in' effort. Ugh.

Of course, its not up to us - tempest in a teapot - but the debate here shows here we are still in transition in our expectations and standards: way, way better than 10 years ago, but still a long way to go. I can't imagine, for example, this being built in Calgary, our closest benchmark overall. More of the stuff like on the old Edmonton Motors site, 108th and Jasper (the Parks is it), etc. That stuff is already out there, not perfect, but out there and possible.

If this thing gets built, I will hide my eyes every time I drive/walk by!

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• bleppers
    replied
    Originally posted by Kreation View Post

If the choice was between completed "cheap" towers against empty lots with a hole in the ground or concrete rubble. I'll take the Icon/Fox/Falcon towers 10 of 10 times...
    10/10 it would be hugely positive for the city if this didn’t get built. This is absolute bottom of the barrel crap and we need a few of these stinkers to fail before developers will stop doing them.

Leave a comment:

• Kreation
    replied
    Originally posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Originally posted by jagators63 View Post
    Design may stay the same but you all need to quit too much worrying over stucco thing.
    Why must we need to quit worrying?
    I wonder why you don't like stucco??
    It looks cheap and is cheap and cheapens the look of downtown / Oliver.
    If the choice was between completed "cheap" towers against empty lots with a hole in the ground or concrete rubble. I'll take the Icon/Fox/Falcon towers 10 of 10 times...

Leave a comment:

• ronron
    replied
    I actually don't mind the look of Fox and Icon. The white stucco on those remind me of summertime Miami.

What I don't like are the nearby Century, and Legacy condo towers.

Leave a comment:

• EdmTrekker
    replied
    Design may stay the same but you all need to quit too much worrying over stucco thing.
    It looks cheap and is cheap and cheapens the look of downtown / Oliver.

Leave a comment:

• jagators63
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EdmTrekker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jagators63
    replied

Leave a comment:

• etownboarder
    replied
    Fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• Aaron_Lloyd
    replied
    Any chance EDC will actually get Langham to improve their designs?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X