220 Room Hotel (10604 - 101 Street) | Hotel | Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 Room Hotel (10604 - 101 Street) | Hotel | Proposed

Saw a sign yesterday. Not much info except that it's internationally branded. Nothing showed up in the city maps section of permits.

I noticed that as well. Very strange that nothing else shows up.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

I'm assuming is this goes forward the building Urban China is in will be demolished. Maybe they are setting the deal up with some connections in Asia? I'm pretty sure they own the property. It's zoned CB2.

Comment

http://www.apxhotels.com/

So it's going to be a Ramada or Holiday Inn unless they are adding a new brand. Just called a friend at the city who knows the person doing the development for APX and said that it's "top secret". I'm hoping it's something else since they don't really keep Holiday Inns or Ramadas secret.

Comment

So with 220 rooms, what's an estimate on height? 10 floors? 20 floors?

Comment

Top Secret? Oh brother it is just a 2.5-3 star hotel.

No wonder we get a bush league rep.

Get out there and sell it. APX

Comment

Michael Lai, President. I am not familiar with this person. 220 rooms is a goodly number.
              http://www.apxhotels.com/about.php

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
                Top Secret? Oh brother it is just a 2.5-3 star hotel.

No wonder we get a bush league rep.

Get out there and sell it. APX
                Before we jump to criticize this guy, 106 Ave around there is not exactly a 5 star area, so it might actually be quite an improvement to what is currently there.

It's still fairly close to the arena (just north) and there is probably a market for people who want to come here to see a show or a hockey game, but are more budget minded. Perhaps this guy and his mysterious APX is on to something here.

Comment

Is that not the area where that high rise apartment is. It seems to me the cops are always getting called out to that place. Anyway, where is there space in that area to build. What are they going to have to pull down to make room.
                  Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Holiday Inn is what I've heard.
                    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

Comment

To those of you poo-pooing this - c'mon! After a few decades of no new hotel development downtown (most of it in the west-end or south-side), there's now a Hyatt Place, a JW opening in a couple of years, another hotel proposed for the Aldritt development next to the Shaw Conference Centre, and now this. Good news all around, if this goes ahead. 101 St north of downtown is in dire need of some love, and maybe this hotel might help. I assume it will be a regular Holiday Inn and not an Holiday Inn Express since there's already an Express on 100 Ave.
                      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I think if I was from out-of-town attending a Rogers Place event, I'd probably stay at a Holiday Inn type of hotel downtown. It's nice to have a few medium price choices.
                        "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Not every new hotel needs to be a 5-star. Yes, they have Holiday Inn's in downtown Toronto, etc. There's nothing wrong with this brand.

Comment

Originally posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
                            So with 220 rooms, what's an estimate on height? 10 floors? 20 floors?
                            220 is about the same number of rooms as the new Hyatt Place. Sutton Place has about 313 rooms.
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

"I think if I was from out-of-town attending a Rogers Place event, I'd probably stay at a Holiday Inn type of hotel downtown. It's nice to have a few medium price choices."

I agree. There is a definite need for a moderate priced hotel. Nothing wrong with a nice Holiday Inn. Lots of folks would like the idea of that location as well. Totally walkable to Rogers Place and Downtown - and loads of Asian restaurants in the area most open late. I think it will be a winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X