Harley Court 10045 111 St. Office to Apartment Building: Under construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Court 10045 111 St. Office to Apartment Building: Under construction

An office tower conversion "Harley Court, 10045 111 St., would become a mix of 177 one- and two-bedroom suites aimed primarily at students and young professionals, Randy Ferguson, chief operating officer of building owner Strategic Group, said Monday.

The $40-million renovation is intended to bring Strategic a steady stream of revenue at a time when the new Ice District towers are creating a “flight to quality” as tenants see a chance to switch to more up-to-date space, he said."

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...tal-apartments

Great to see, this lowers the available office space area by converting it into residential which adds more people and life to the core. I hope we see more of this going forward on these older buildings.
    Last edited by Hilman; 09-05-2017, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Pretty ideal location for something like this. Exterior might need some love - I suspect many of the windows will have to be replaced to make them operable.

Comment

Could do with a complete re-skin of the lower floors, look at the (lack of) windows on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

From what I heard a some years back the province was the only tenant, and it was the building they were least happy with. If there's been anyone in there the last few years I'm sure they would be the ones heading to the Crawford Centre.

edit: Dead the article; it's 86% occupied but if they're planning on starting renos in the fall it still looks like the tenant was already planning a move.
        Last edited by Highlander II; 09-05-2017, 08:49 AM.
        There can only be one.

Comment

Exactly what I was hoping would happen. Can't wait to see some renders. I don't expect miracles, but I do hope they refresh the exterior. I wonder if they can open up ceilings between 1st and 2nd floor to give the street some 2-floor bays.
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

There was a plan done up a few years ago, I expect to see that resurrected.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I wouldn't get your hopes up on much change to the exterior.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                I wouldn't get your hopes up on much change to the exterior.
                I have no idea what a $40mil renovation gets you these days. What did Procura's cost for the Associated building?

Comment

It's $225,000 per suite, so there should be something left for the exterior of the lower floors at least. I can't see a residential conversion working with the existing lower floors, and I would expect that it would be cheaper to just replace that precast than to cut all kinds of holes for new windows.
                  There can only be one.

Comment

Originally posted by nobleea
                    I have no idea what a $40mil renovation gets you these days. What did Procura's cost for the Associated building?

The two renovations are pretty much the exact opposite and are not comparable at all. Procura's renovation was mostly the exterior, as far as I know, and didn't really touch the interiors or building systems like mechanical. Harley Court is leaving the exterior largely as is, but basically everything inside the building is being replaced because it's at or past it's service life.

Comment

As a tenant, I've never really been fixated on the outside of the building. I care that my suite be comfortable. They will probably have to retro-fit the windows to open. Perhaps some changes to the lower floors (though I expect they'll be using them for things like gyms). But if Marcel is right, replacing/fixing systems things (HVAC, plumbing, elevators, etc.) will eat up a lot of the $40 million. I care more about elevators working than whether the outside architecture is iconic.

Comment

$40m on a building that is already built should allow for a fair amount to happen to the inside and outside of the building. It's not exactly massive. I imagine you could rebuild something of equal size with decent finishings new for an additional $20m. If something like the Fox can be built from nothing for what, maybe $200m?

Comment

Originally posted by EveB
                          They will probably have to retro-fit the windows to open.

That's definitely a fire code issue, but it can be addressed in different ways that don't necessarily require operable windows.

Originally posted by EveB
                          (though I expect they'll be using them for things like gyms)

I don't believe there will be a heck of a lot of amenity space, either. The main floor I believe will remain lobby and CRU space. The second floor right now is mostly mechanical, which is being moved to the penthouse, so the second floor will be suites as well.

Comment

There is and was squash courts in this building?

Comment

Yes.

And along with the courts there was a full exercise facility.

Comment

Working...
                              X