Bateman Towers | Two Towers | Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bateman Towers | Two Towers | Proposed

There's a meeting tonight at the Strathcona Community League (6:30 - 8:30) about a proposed tower on the Wild Earth grocery/bakery site (also, formerly Culina and Bibo) at 99 st and 89 Ave. They're proposing 28 storeys for the site, along with ground level retail.

I plan on going to the meeting to hear what's being planned for the site. I'd like to see something significant there, but 28 storeys seems taller than anything in the area, even along Sask Drive (anyone know what the tallest building is there?). Increase in traffic will be a concern given how busy 99 st is. There are also a number of notable politicians that could be affected by the building.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I'd like to see something significant there, but 28 storeys seems taller than anything in the area, even along Sask Drive (anyone know what the tallest building is there?). Increase in traffic will be a concern given how busy 99 st is. There are also a number of notable politicians that could be affected by the building.
    They all seem to be in the 20-25 storey range on sask drive, which makes this 28 storey proposal within the same range. Sounds like a perfect location for a tower like this.
    Another one would be great on the corner of sask drive and 99 st, plus one lot in on sask drive from 99 st.

Comment

Is it really the Wild Earth building? Or is it the empty lot north of it?
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Looks like the tallest building is 24 storeys at the corner of 100 st and 90 Ave. Waters Edge is 20 storeys. My guess is that they'll seek 28 storeys and then scale it back a bit. I think people will focus on the lower buildings along 99 st, while ignoring the higher buildings a few blocks away.
        They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
          Is it really the Wild Earth building? Or is it the empty lot north of it?
          It's the Wild Earth building. That's the land that the Bateman's own, and this is their project. The empty land to the North used to be a gas station, and is still owned by the gas company (I forget which one). This is the reason Culina closed - they could only get month-to-month leases after their long-term lease expired.

Comment

Interesting. I do like that little commercial pocket, yes it will be replaced but for 2-3 years it's going to be a void and I'm sure the lease rates in the new building are going to be higher than current.

Well, let's how this develops.

Comment

^^ Oh OK. The name "Bateman" didn't really click until it just occurred to me that Wild Earth used to be a Bateman's IGA.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

A block and a half Ishmael from Saskatchewan Dr. Any renders?
                " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post
                  Interesting. I do like that little commercial pocket, yes it will be replaced but for 2-3 years it's going to be a void and I'm sure the lease rates in the new building are going to be higher than current.

Maybe, Dan, but the two big draws there now (after the departure of Culina) are Wild Earth Grocery, and Wild Earth Bakery, which are both owned by the people that would own the building, so I don't think lease rates are much of a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Gord Lacey View Post
                    Originally posted by DanC View Post

Maybe, Dan, but the two big draws there now (after the departure of Culina) are Wild Earth Grocery, and Wild Earth Bakery, which are both owned by the people that would own the building, so I don't think lease rates are much of a concern.
                    Ah, good to know. Is there any other space they can occupy for a couple years? Its such a nice amenity.

Comment

28-storey condo tower proposed for Wild Earth Bakery site on 99 Street
                      http://ow.ly/y4es306SNEU

Comment

Intrigued to see if there is a deal to be made to remediate the gas station lands as part of this development.

On a related note, an acquaintance of mine has acquired 3 or 4 houses on 90 ave east of 99 street to develop a 4-6 storie condo building. He operates as 18th Floor Holdings.

Comment

There was lots to like about the development, and a little bit I didn't like. Yes, some people will be affected by the shadow of the building, but I wonder how many storeys it would have to be to solve the sun problem. Probably a lot less than they're proposing. I like the expanded grocery store, and the cafe that will return (though it looks like it'll be smaller).

What I don't like are the 5 townhouses they're proposing. I think it would be better served as more commercial space, but one of the ladies I spoke to said it's zoned as residential and would have to be changed (I reminded her that the land the tower sits on isn't zoned for a 28 storey building, so that doesn't really matter). It just seems like a bit of a waste, when more commercial could bring more people from the community to the area.

The podium looks good, and I doubt many will notice the height of the building when driving by, or walking on the street.

It was quite packed, with a lineup to get in the room at 6:30, and lots of people already inside.

Comment

Hmm interesting...One Properties is involved here

Comment

I like the form as is. I'm fine with the townhouses, having the retail on 99, and the height. It's what we need on the major artery, something that eases onto the residential avenue, and a respectable look at densifying. Looks like a great infill project to me.
                              Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Working...
                              X