No announcement yet.

Ice District Tower B | ~150m | Under Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple GC's are bidding on it right now. That process will take a month or two before any contracts are signed. But I'd be surprised if things didn't finally get going by spring. There's really very little reason for them to be in a rush to pour a couple floors of concrete in Jan-Mar when they can wait out the rest of winter.

Comment

• ^Good to hear.
      www.decl.org

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
        Multiple GC's are bidding on it right now. That process will take a month or two before any contracts are signed. But I'd be surprised if things didn't finally get going by spring. There's really very little reason for them to be in a rush to pour a couple floors of concrete in Jan-Mar when they can wait out the rest of winter.
        I thought the podium would be structural steel.
        “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• That's not to say that if OEG gets the prices in and doesn't much like them that they don't go back to the drawing board again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenco View Post

I thought the podium would be structural steel.
            Parts could be, I'm not overly familiar with the project, but concrete is much more typical in our market. Assembling steel in the winter is more expensive as well.

Comment

• Ice District Block BG Podium - Closing January 23rd 2020

Project Description: THE PROJECT IS A NEW THREE STOREY (INCLUDES ROOF WITH OCCUPANCY AND
              MECHANICAL PENTHOUSE) COMMERCIAL RETAIL PODIUM WHICH FORMS PART OF A
              MIXED-USE BUILDING INCLUDING ACCOMMODATION FOR FUTURE RESIDENTIAL HIGH-RISE
              TOWER. IT IS CONSTRUCTED ABOVE AN EXISTING FOUR LEVEL UNDERGROUND PARKING
              GARAGE AND PART OF THE OVERALL DEVELOPMENT COLLECTIVELY REFERRED TO AS
              THE ‘ICE DISTRICT’.

https://www.sml.ca/planroom/

Comment

• Why is the tower suddenly so revolting?

Comment

• Originally posted by GranaryMan View Post
                  Why is the tower suddenly so revolting?
                  it’s not revolting but it does seem totally unconnected with its podium and strangely unfinished - and differently unfinished - at the crowns. the floor plate articulation “a la manulife” looks interesting but it’s almost as if it’s meant to provide views of what’s going on on the balconies to the adjacent suite windows and vice versa. there’s a uniformity and rhythm to the west facade that seems to be chopped up on the south facade. the rendering also doesn’t seem to do a good job of conveying material- are we looking at stone or concrete or metal panels or stucco or ??? it also seems to be missing that much touted huge brew house rooftop patio so one is left to wonder how that will be integrated with the amenity space hinted at here unless that’s the outdoor pub and not amenity space. the ice district logo however does seem to be quite accurately rendered.
                  "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• One thing this city needs more of is roof top pubs. Lots of them.

Comment

• Brewhouse in windermere just opened with a rooftop pub...
                      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• i remember seeing the original rendering....then seeing this! *sigh*....primo spot in the downtown core and this monstrosity is going up!

Comment

• I don't mind it, it's not all glass, but honestly I'm not a big fan of that style anyways.
                          LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                            it’s not revolting but it does seem totally unconnected with its podium and strangely unfinished - and differently unfinished - at the crowns. the floor plate articulation “a la manulife” looks interesting but it’s almost as if it’s meant to provide views of what’s going on on the balconies to the adjacent suite windows and vice versa. there’s a uniformity and rhythm to the west facade that seems to be chopped up on the south facade. the rendering also doesn’t seem to do a good job of conveying material- are we looking at stone or concrete or metal panels or stucco or ??? it also seems to be missing that much touted huge brew house rooftop patio so one is left to wonder how that will be integrated with the amenity space hinted at here unless that’s the outdoor pub and not amenity space. the ice district logo however does seem to be quite accurately rendered.
                            Just seems like a huge missed opportunity to build something that would show a continual flow of the Ice District towers...at least if it was a glass tower like Stantec or the JW, they might not need the huge "Ice District" sign so people knew it was part of the same development. If they wanted to save this tower design for the north edge of Rodgers Place, that would be fine...but this spot should be another beautiful glass tower.

With that said though, I am not the developer, and have no risks associated with the costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stevey_G View Post
                              Here's a thread for the demolition of the current greyhound station as well as the construction of Tower B in Ice District as requested by some readers.

Should be exciting to watch this phase get underway

^^man this would have been sweet !!

Comment

• ^ No kidding! ... and a very nice compliment to J W Marriott and Stantec!

Comment

Working...
                                X