Northgate Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northgate Centre

Hello I am wondering if Northgate will ever expand or be renovated so that the transit center will be incorporated into the mall design it self or a future LRT stop at the mall? It seems to me that The owners of Northgate and Northtown centre would be wise to partner up and build one massive shopping complex off of 137 avenue similar to the Southgate Centre design..

Logistically speaking I don't no how they could built a massive shopping complex and if they did/could it would be competing with Londonderry Mall which is only a two minute drive down the road.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

LRT would make sense there, but the current plan is to use 113st 'cause it's better for St. Albert. An elevated LRT station there would be great, and could change the game by making transit-to-shop trips much more attractive.

LRT is the key, though.

Comment

Yes and the fact that Kingsway is a 8 minute drive away as well.

Comment

Northgate made the conscious decision to become a medical and professional mall quite some time ago. If it expands, it would likely either add to those services, or find a way to incorporate a residential component (seniors) to match.

Sobey's still has not sold the land they bought across the corner in Griesbach, so there is ample speculation they may relocate the Safeway there, emptying up significant space in the mall (which includes the dreaded restrictive covenants). That space would be ample expansion if they pieced it out since they couldn't fill it with another grocer, and it's not a retail destination.

That said, transit was recently totally renovated and is located at North Town across the street, so it's unlikely Northgate will ever have any transit, let alone integrated transit, unless there's a future LRT down 137 Ave or such.
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Shouldn't be restrictive covenants on leased space.

Comment

Honestly I don't see anything significant happening to that mall, especially with the effort that is being put into Londonderry and the significant work that has and will continue to go into Kingsway. Medical and residential would be the best thing for Northgate. Probably the only thing I wouldn't mind seeing if that were possible is having TnT move out of it's current location and into the mall (if safeway left) because the current location is horrible for parking.
              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Northgate and Medowlark malls are almost identical as they both have medical type tenants.
                Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
                  Honestly I don't see anything significant happening to that mall, especially with the effort that is being put into Londonderry and the significant work that has and will continue to go into Kingsway. Medical and residential would be the best thing for Northgate. Probably the only thing I wouldn't mind seeing if that were possible is having TnT move out of it's current location and into the mall (if safeway left) because the current location is horrible for parking.
                  I doubt Safeway is leaving. Before Sobeys brought them they were planning to build a new store across the way in Griesbach to replace the old one across the road but the Rosslyn Inn. When the purchase went through the old Sobeys was already shut down and the replacement was scrapped. There's a Shoppers now being built on that site.

Comment

Shoppers is replacing the one at Rosslyn. Sobey's still owns the major parcel right in the corner, so they're holding onto it to either move the Safeway, or just to be mega d--ks.
                    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^i doubt they own anything. These types of retail developments are leased spaces, not purchased/owned. Maybe I am completely off base with that statement, but I really doubt any of the land for retail was even available to purchase.

Comment

Sobey's owns the land in Griesbach. I know because Canada Lands told us at the Griesbach AGM last Thursday.

Comment

That's so strange. They better not let it sit empty forever. But I could see them closing Safeway in the mall and reopening one of their brands in Griesbach. Walmart in the mall must take a bite out of their customer base. Best to be closer to higher earning customers in Griesbach. Hope it happens sooner than later.

Comment

Northgate and Northtown are both already very successful with their own respective strategies (especially Northtown). It wouldn't make any sense to start over with a different strategy until they start losing customers.

Comment

Originally posted by etownboarder View Post
                              That's so strange. They better not let it sit empty forever. But I could see them closing Safeway in the mall and reopening one of their brands in Griesbach. Walmart in the mall must take a bite out of their customer base. Best to be closer to higher earning customers in Griesbach. Hope it happens sooner than later.
                              They were planning on starting to build the Sobeys at that Griesbach location until the sale happened, then it was put on hold and has been idle ever since.

Comment

Working...
                              X