Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commonwealth stadium - to roof or not to roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the south end? That's the rec centre end.

Comment

• How many drones would it take to hold a giant tarp over the place during a game?
      I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
        ^ A few comments

- what happens if Calgary get a covered stadium? Will there be pressure for Edmonton to follow suit?
        - we are the most northern large city. If we want to attempt to move to “A” city status the will needs to be there have a domed facility
        - weather has been bad and this may be the rule going forward and not the exception. Time to consider the dome option.
        The option of covering the stadium as stated isn’t economic at costing over half a billion dollars. You would be better off building a new stadium at the cost and there’s no need to do so.

It’s not like we’re the only open air stadium in North America, there’s some bitter cold cities in Michigan and Wisconsin that experience comparable weather and they do just fine. Not to mention you need to experience a closed stadium environment before selling yourself on the idea. It’s absolutely brutal.

Commonwealth is a beautiful old lady that’s been kept up to date. My advice to people is to dress for the weather.
        There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spudly View Post
          How many drones would it take to hold a giant tarp over the place during a game?
          This discussion just went insane...
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Base View Post
            Sitting at the game in the rain last night sure made me wish there was an investors group field style roof over the seats. During the next update it would be nice to remove some upper deck seats and build a roof like that.
            I was at the game last night too. It was a constant but light rain for most of the game.

It was actually no big deal if you dressed accordingly. The weather forecast prior to kickoff said 60% chance of showers. I wore a rain jacket and an Eskimos hoodie underneath. My female friend wore a hoodie and a black garbage bag. She was joking with Bombers fans that it's Manitoba fashion.

Besides the outcome of the game, people in the stadium were having a great time.

That's football weather! See you out there when it's -25C in the playoff game!

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
              Originally posted by Spudly View Post
              How many drones would it take to hold a giant tarp over the place during a game?
              This discussion just went insane...
              This discussion just went (wait for it) through the roof.
              Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stevey_G View Post
                Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
                ^ A few comments

- what happens if Calgary get a covered stadium? Will there be pressure for Edmonton to follow suit?
                - we are the most northern large city. If we want to attempt to move to “A” city status the will needs to be there have a domed facility
                - weather has been bad and this may be the rule going forward and not the exception. Time to consider the dome option.
                The option of covering the stadium as stated isn’t economic at costing over half a billion dollars. You would be better off building a new stadium at the cost and there’s no need to do so.

It’s not like we’re the only open air stadium in North America, there’s some bitter cold cities in Michigan and Wisconsin that experience comparable weather and they do just fine. Not to mention you need to experience a closed stadium environment before selling yourself on the idea. It’s absolutely brutal.

Commonwealth is a beautiful old lady that’s been kept up to date. My advice to people is to dress for the weather.
                We are talking a retractable roof here not a dome and your right it probably would not work on our present stadium so your looking at a 35-40 thousand seat retractable stadium that can be used year round for sporting events, concerts, conventions, heck make it the home of the country’s national soccer training facility. Get inventive. Someone please have an ounce of vision and leadership in this city.

With respect to dressing up for the grand old lady as you say I am old enough to know and attend cold weather games and frankly there is nothing romantic about it, it is just flipping cold, wet, windy and people are looking for a better fan experience - freezing your *** off in a cold seat is not one of them.

It is ludicrous in this part of the world to have a major sporting facility open to the elements.
                Last edited by Rocket252; 25-08-2019, 06:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
                  Originally posted by Stevey_G View Post
                  ^ A few comments

We are talking a retractable roof here not a dome and your right it probably would not work on our present stadium so your looking at a 35-40 thousand seat retractable stadium that can be used year round for sporting events, concerts, conventions, heck make it the home of the country’s national soccer training facility. Get inventive. Someone please have an ounce of vision and leadership in this city.

With respect to dressing up for the grand old lady as you say I am old enough to know and attend cold weather games and frankly there is nothing romantic about it, it is just flipping cold, wet, windy and people are looking for a better fan experience - freezing your *** off in a cold seat is not one of them.

It is ludicrous in this part of the world to have a major sporting facility open to the elements.
                  Its your opinion. For decades many Argos fans HATED Skydome. Hated whenever it was closed, and even when it was open because the opening isn't so huge as to allow sunshine through the facility. People always complained about a dank, dark, concrete mausoleum feel to the place. People complained about having to be indoors, in the summer, in Canada, in our brief summers. Many fans in Toronto stating they would rather be outside, than attend a game indoors.

The glory of Commonwealth stadium is that it IS still an outdoors stadium and with sunbaked surround. That's what most fans of it love about it.

In getting old have we forgotten as well a notion of just being somewhat hearty?

Its not like the rain Friday or even Yesterday was cold. Its August and the temperatures have been easy to tolerate, despite the rain. We have better weather wear than ever before, and more complaints about being outside.

strange.

We're never getting the National team back here and neither the CSA or Toronto would allow that to occur. The entertainment/concert industry is dying. Theres very limited need for such facilities now. Which artists, moving ahead, are U2, Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, now? They mostly don't exist and not with continuity anyway. Which is one reason why you see precious few concert shows at Commonwealth, closed or open, because such huge touring shows drawing 50-100k sold out stadiums don't exist today. So that we'd be building a roof for nothing. For further 90% empty dates on the calendar.
                  Last edited by Replacement; 25-08-2019, 08:42 AM.
                  "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

• Originally posted by Replacement View Post
                    Originally posted by Stevey_G View Post
                    ^ A few comments

Its your opinion. For decades many Argos fans HATED Skydome. Hated whenever it was closed, and even when it was open because the opening isn't so huge as to allow sunshine through the facility. People always complained about a dank, dark, concrete mausoleum feel to the place. People complained about having to be indoors, in the summer, in Canada, in our brief summers. Many fans in Toronto stating they would rather be outside, than attend a game indoors.

The glory of Commonwealth stadium is that it IS still an outdoors stadium and with sunbaked surround. That's what most fans of it love about it.

In getting old have we forgotten as well a notion of just being somewhat hearty?

Its not like the rain Friday or even Yesterday was cold. Its August and the temperatures have been easy to tolerate, despite the rain. We have better weather wear than ever before, and more complaints about being outside.

strange.

We're never getting the National team back here and neither the CSA or Toronto would allow that to occur. The entertainment/concert industry is dying. Theres very limited need for such facilities now. Which artists, moving ahead, are U2, Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, now? They mostly don't exist and not with continuity anyway. Which is one reason why you see precious few concert shows at Commonwealth, closed or open, because such huge touring shows drawing 50-100k sold out stadiums don't exist today. So that we'd be building a roof for nothing. For further 90% empty dates on the calendar.
                    Not to mention the significant engineering and technical obstacles involved with retrofitting the building to be able to support a retractable roof, I can’t even imagine the costs at that point but my guess would be closer to a billion dollars for that.

I dunno, I’ve attended my fair share of cold games. I dress in layers and get the right amount of rum in me and you’re good. 👌🏼
                    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Comment

• It is kind of really late now for that idea. CS is 50+ years old now and the retrofit, engineering and other elements before our uncalled for inflated construction cost, I could see a 1 billion pricetag. Like our hockey rink which was estimated 350 million at initial round of table which ballooned to 500+ going into construction only to find out the cost was almost 700 million with downgrades in design. All games of deception done within that 5 year span. That is a 100 % inflated value from the initial 350+ million. If construction climbed that fast,
                      do we need a roof and at what cost for how many dates per year? 8 football games and what else? Further to that, what would CS lifespan be if some engineering is involved?
                      " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Comment

• Still am proud that they built the original stadium for $2M under the $25M budget and built on time with great quality. Sort of proves Medwards mantra is wrong, "low price, fast built or quality; pick two".

Back then we got all three and laughed at Montreal when their stadium got ZERO out of three. In fact, at the time, the Montreal 'The Big Owe' was such a financial scandal, the COE was going to drop their bid for the 1978 games.
                        Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• The days of honesty is well over. I think it was Milli Vanilli group that ushered in the cheat at all cost which transformed into today's all out assault on greed. In today's construction , he is not wrong. We are actually quite lucky in our city to have some sincere developers. One or two of them actually enjoys this site.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                            Still am proud that they built the original stadium for $2M under the $25M budget and built on time with great quality. Sort of proves Medwards mantra is wrong, "low price, fast built or quality; pick two".

Back then we got all three and laughed at Montreal when their stadium got ZERO out of three. In fact, at the time, the Montreal 'The Big Owe' was such a financial scandal, the COE was going to drop their bid for the 1978 games.
                            Agree whole heartedly about the stadium's bang for the buck. Despite its age it's still the nicest high capacity football stadium in the country. I still remember the pride that I felt when I attended a track & field event during the Commonwealth Games. Combine that with the fact that it's attached to a superb community rec facility and there really is nothing else in this country that can compare.
                            Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
                              Despite its age it's still the nicest high capacity football stadium in the country.
                              LOL... Nope, sorry, it's not even close. It may be second but BC Place beats it in almost every category: food/beverage options, location, surrounding amenities, comfortability (IT HAS A ROOF!). It not only hosts Canadian and Association Football, it hosts the Boat Show, the Home and Garden Show, an EDM Festival, the Sun Run, and an indoor winter carnival every year, and that doesn't even include all the concerts. It can reduce the capacity from 54,000 to 27,000 for smaller events so it doesn't feel like you're in an enormous cavern. I could go on...

Comment

• You obviously lacked slight reading comprehension. He mentioned football experience, and I agree with him on that notion. Nothing beats a warm sunny day and a beer with a game. CS offers a better atmosphere than BCP by a mile. Nothing personal, but Toronto beats BC if you're to qualify by your measure. Naturally, the younger a stadium is, it would have more current advantages.

Comment

Working...
                                X