No announcement yet.

A Downtown for Everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn’t see the little Canada logo when I initially looked at it. It couldn’t get any less organic than taxpayer-funded advertising.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Liane Faulder: Helping downtown recovery, a baby step at a time, is the goal of new Edmonton project
      Showcase of social innovation spreads good ideas, and hope

LIANE FAULDER Updated: October 21, 2019

Edmonton likes to think big. Look at our gigantic arena, the grand arch of the Walterdale Bridge that spans the mighty North Saskatchewan River, and Downtown’s towering new Stantec building.

Though there is nothing particularly wrong with big, there is an excellent case for small presently percolating in River City. It’s embodied by RECOVER, a project developed by the City of Edmonton, along with local partners, that aims to help solve major problems with minor adjustments.

RECOVER wants to improve urban wellness through social innovation, tackling problems such as homelessness, poverty, mental illness and addiction with a variety of small-scale, human-centred concepts. We’re not talking big policy dreams, such as guaranteed annual income. Rather, RECOVER asks people on its team to brainstorm “what-if” moments, and to take baby steps.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...w-city-project

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• How many more lunches do we need? Another planning commitee to plan the stuff the other committees came up with and never followed through on ? What a waste of money.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• It's a program already half done, year 3 outta 5 & has spurred BOMA & DBA to shell out.

Even I'll give this one a passing grade.
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
            ^WEM’s draw as a regional shopping destination makes it very difficult for retail businesses to justify a downtown location unless you’re a chain with a broad footprint like Shoppers or one of the cellular companies. Coupled with malls like Kingsway and Southgate that serve local demand it’s almost a no brainer. The recent closing of McBain Camera in City Center is symptomatic of that. Retail is having a difficult time as it is with the rise of online shopping.

The reality is that downtown retail is going to rise or fall with the growth of its local population.
            If WEM has any negative impact on the downtown, it would seem somewhat self-defeating to run the LRT from downtown to WEM. (I saw the LRT as leading to reduced wage rates by expanding the available labour market around retail centres. That might lower costs downtown but it would lower the need to live downtown. However, maybe LRT connections between retail centres could somehow better facilitate more locations by better allowing staff to work multiple centres.)
            Last edited by KC; 21-10-2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• A more well connected city, is a better city.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Hopefully extending the LRT westward will encourage travel in both directions. One of the barriers to travel downtown from the west end via public transit is frequency of service outside of weekday daytime hours. It's might not be so bad if you leave on a Saturday morning but returning in the evening is not as convenient. Also buses can fill up rather quickly. The LRT has a higher capacity, more frequent off peak service and it's also much comfortable with a smoother ride and air conditioning in the summer. All in all it's a much more inviting mode of public transit.
                Last edited by norwoodguy; 23-10-2019, 02:39 PM.
                Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
                  A more well connected city, is a better city.
                  The words "more" and "better" are hyperbole and subjective. I think what you are trying but failed to say is "A connected city is an accessible city". Keep it simple and factual

Comment

Working...
                  X