Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny199r View Post
    Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
    IMHO the significant majority of crime in Edmonton is committed against acquaintances of the perpetrator. Don't associate with losers, and the chances of being a victim to a crime are near zero.
    With the exception of B+E's and getting your stuff stolen, ie bikes...
    Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
    ^ Your attitude is most decidedly very small town.

You're no more likely to get your bike stolen in Cromdale than you are in any other mature neighoburhood... or any neighbourhood for that matter if you're dumb enough to leave your stuff laying around
    He's not trolling... I just took a look at the crime map for the last 60 days and that area doesn't fare so well with B+E and theft from vehicle stats. It's high. Now, Strathcona is also high, which is a decidedly "nicer" area overall. However if you look at your more typical communities, they are close to zero. So it IS a higher crime area for those types of crimes, and those types of crimes are opportunistic as opposed to targeted.

As mentioned, the removal of that liquor store will likely solve a lot of that, as those are likely thefts to fuel addictions. I suspect the same thing would happen if the Transit Liquor Store was removed from Belvedere.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

You should expect an area with 10 the population density to have 10 the crime density, No? That's why a map form isn't always the most useful.

Anyway, since most of the crime is theft from/of vehicles and respectable people don't seem to mind parking at the P&R or at Stadium Rec Centre. Maybe they'll feel the same way about parking in their secure undergound parking under their condo building.

Comment

^^ he's absolutely trolling. This isn't about crime, it's about bias and bad attitude

Look at the stats for Oliver. It would most definitely fall into the category of a "high crime" area. So does Strathcona. Yet those who choose to live there seem to get by with all this crime going on. No different in Cromdale. Welcome to living in a central area of a big city.

I know lots of professional folks who already live in the immediate vicinity in Cromdale. Their biggest gripe about the area ? Other peoples' misconceptions of it.
        Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Anyhow...

The whole point of this thread and whole point Brookfield purchased the land is because of it's future potential, not where it is today.
          www.decl.org

Comment

^ The land is triangle shaped, and extend from where 84th and 85th streets meet, up to the LRT tracks. It includes the self storage complex and two small commercial buildings
            https://twitter.com/jarrettcam/statu...056448/photo/1
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

As density rises, crime drops. has little to do with "niceness" of the area. crime loves areas where there aren't eyes around to see it.

Comment

^^ It's a big chunk of land

It'll be interesting to see what sort of through access points are considered. Hopefully a pedestrian access basically in the middle of the north flank for easy movement across the LRT tracks

Comment

Originally posted by makenosmallplans View Post
                  As density rises, crime drops. has little to do with "niceness" of the area. crime loves areas where there aren't eyes around to see it.
                  I'd be curious to see that sort of declines in crime have been seen since the Edgewater development got going, and now that there are 300+ units occupied in the low rises

The vacant GWG lot contributed a lot to the disorder in the area.. as there as a lot of loitering, camping and that kind of thing happening there. Now that it is gone i'd think things have improved considerably.

The Muttart land is almost all fenced off, so don't contribute to those issues in any significant way

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised. More lighting and eyes on the area surrounding make for less crimes of opportunity.

Now if the jerk who stole my bike a few months ago Downtown would have had more eyes on him/her...

Comment

Look for a news piece on this on the Global news this evening

Comment

^^ he's absolutely trolling. This isn't about crime, it's about bias and bad attitude

Look at the stats for Oliver. It would most definitely fall into the category of a "high crime" area. So does Strathcona. Yet those who choose to live there seem to get by with all this crime going on. No different in Cromdale. Welcome to living in a central area of a big city.

I know lots of professional folks who already live in the immediate vicinity in Cromdale. Their biggest gripe about the area ? Other peoples' misconceptions of it.
                        Not that I disagree about your thesis per se, but you're still not discussing crime in per capita terms or acknowledging per block or per hectare or per FAR or anything that would make crime stats pertinent. These stats NEED a common foundation or they don't make sense.
                        Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post

Not that I disagree about your thesis per se, but you're still not discussing crime in per capita terms or acknowledging per block or per hectare or per FAR or anything that would make crime stats pertinent. These stats NEED a common foundation or they don't make sense.
                          Recognizing that comparing statistics only tells you what has happened in the past and to extrapolate that to predict the future assumes all things stay mostly the same. I'd continue to argue that if you develop the area and increase density, things are not the same and per capita statistics wont' be terribly helpful any longer - at least not in the long run.

Comment

^ oh I'm not disagreeing that density is safer (ceteris paribus). Definitely you're right that higher density usually translates to greater safety, and definitely there is no predicting the future.

I'm only maintaining that one must at minimum take population differences into account when comparing crime rates between neighbourhoods
                            Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

we are in violent agreement. :>)

Comment

Infill community to be built on industrial land near Commonwealth Stadium
                                http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...148/story.html
                                www.decl.org

Comment

Working...
                                X