• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muttart Lands | Mixed Use Urban Village | Proposed

January 15, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEW PROJECT SETTING THE STAGE TO ENHANCE URBAN LIVING IN EDMONTON

EDMONTON, ALBERTA (January 15, 2015) — Brookfield Residential is proud to announce it will develop in central Edmonton in an area known as the Muttart Lands. The site is located immediately south of the Stadium LRT station and situated between Commonwealth Stadium and Jasper Avenue (map attached).

With the land sale recently completed, work on the community vision and design is underway and will be unveiled this spring. “This community is being designed with the daily needs of the future resident in mind. Through a great collaborative working relationship with the City of Edmonton, we are designing a very special place that is welcoming, vibrant and urban- all located just one LRT stop outside of downtown,” said Jaydan Tait, Brookfield’s Vice President of Infill Communities. “The development will be ‘mixed-use’, meaning there will be a diverse mix of housing types and retail/commercial space, which is essential for creating an area where people can work, play and live,” Tait said.

Muttart Lands is a nine-acre site at 10950 – 84th Street. The site is an ideal location to create a walkable community close to key amenities that include the LRT line, Commonwealth Stadium, Commonwealth Recreation Centre and Edmonton’s picturesque River Valley.

City Councillor for the area Scott McKeen calls the project an attractive option for future residents. “Given the proximity of this development to the LRT, Commonwealth Stadium, Commonwealth Rec Centre and the river valley, it holds great potential to create a dynamic new community on the edge of downtown. This is another step forward for urban living in our city,” says McKeen.

Brookfield Residential has been a partner in shaping Edmonton’s landscape for more than 50 years. It has developed more than 30 communities - many of which are award winning.

Further information on the Muttart project, including the name and expected start date for construction, will be provided at an official launch later this spring.

About Brookfield Residential
    Brookfield Residential is a leading North American land developer and homebuilder with operations in 11 major markets. We entitle and develop land to create master-planned communities and build and sell lots to third-party builders, as well as to our own homebuilding division. We also participate in selected, strategic real estate opportunities, including infill projects, mixed-use developments, infrastructure projects, and joint ventures. Brookfield Residential is listed on the NYSE and TSX under the symbol BRP. For more information, visit www.brookfieldrp.com.

-30-

Attachment: Map showing the Muttart Lands

For information, contact:
    Name: Lori Cote, Manager, Communications and Community Relations - Alberta.
    Cell: 403-837-8894
    Email: [email protected]

Spectacular! This is a huge chunk of land and a major barrier for movement from the high density areas in the immediate surrounding areas of Cromdale an Boyle Street. Can't wait to see a plan
    Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Sounds good. These guys have experience in development. Even if it's normally cookie cutter burb stuff, it's a positive change for the area.

Comment

I hear their new guy in Edmonton is going to push for some great ideas and urban design options. Great to see this in Brookfield's hands.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

"diverse mix of housing types and retail/commercial space"

row houses and duplexes maybe? hopefully a high-rise or something over 6 storey as well

Comment

Should be way too valuable for duplexes, even row houses.

I believe Brookfield was Carma, who's Aurora development didn't start in 2007 as promised. I hope that their vision for this location is at least as ambitious and a lot better timed.

Comment

I don't know anything about the builder but their other sites are not downtown. I wish they could match or surpass the Edgewater development but it's foolish to think that at this point. Very happy for the neighbourhood. Stadium will be the first successful TOD area in the city if this works out.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post

I believe Brookfield was Carma, who's Aurora development didn't start in 2007 as promised. I hope that their vision for this location is at least as ambitious and a lot better timed.
                This'll be a multi tower development, with some low rises mixed in most likely

Comment

If we're lucky, think Bridgeland in Calgary.
                  www.decl.org

Comment

Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
                    I don't know anything about the builder but their other sites are not downtown. I wish they could match or surpass the Edgewater development but it's foolish to think that at this point. Very happy for the neighbourhood. Stadium will be the first successful TOD area in the city if this works out.
                    They may not go as high as The Edgewater towers but from the initial info we heard, they were talking about 2500 residents. The Muttart property is roughly twice as big as the Edgewater land

I've long thought that Stadium had some of the best TOD potential of most of the other current and future sites.

There are three single tower sites still available along Jasper ave in that immediate area. Hopefully this makes them a more attractive option for developers. The Edgewater project moving forward was likely and influential factor in Brookfieild's decision to purchase the land
                    Last edited by 240GLT; 15-01-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

^ sounds great to me, absolutely agreed about the area's potential.

Will this be accompanied by the City's street design and LRT crossing?
                      Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Originally posted by 240GLT View Post
                        Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
                        They may not go as high as The Edgewater towers but from the initial info we heard, they were talking about 2500 residents. The Muttart property is roughly twice as big as the Edgewater land

I've long thought that Stadium had some of the best TOD potential of most of the other current and future sites.

There are three single tower sites still available along Jasper ave in that immediate area. Hopefully this makes them a more attractive option for developers. The Edgewater project moving forward was likely and influential factor in Brookfieild's decision to purchase the land
                        Twice the size? Unless I'm looking at the wrong place, or existing buildings are getting razed, Muttart appears to be less than half the size of Edgewater. Maybe someone can explain to me if in case I'm missing something.
                        "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

^ The land is triangle shaped, and extend from where 84th and 85th streets meet, up to the LRT tracks. It includes the self storage complex and two small commercial buildings

Comment

^OK cool, did not know it included the self storage and those buildings. It's still not twice the size, but it's bigger.
                            "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post

Who you going to get to buy nice town houses in that area?

Comment

Working...
                              X