Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by geordieinthecity View Post
    Originally posted by nobleea View Post
    The full build out is not supposed to be complete until 2047, according to Morguard.

This really does look like a great idea... Seriously. Edmonton could have great TOD's. I imagine something like south Vancouver with their new Canada line link... A lot of new areas have popped up because of the train there. I was recently near King Edward station and that area has really changed in only a few years. Of course, I'm skeptical that BDC will end up looking exactly like this... But I live literally a block east of this illustration in a house and already 2 doors down from me is a multi-family apartment building. I used to live on the north side, near NAIT station, and I feel this neighbourhood is way more ripe for upscale redevelopment than there. Definitely around Gateway and 104 street was always going to be more dense then here but then again this train link is going to make a big difference when it's actually done in the next couple years.
    The King Edward/Cambie area developed fast cause the area had been rezoned decades ago and developers didn't have to jump through hoops to rezone, they just had to buy up the houses and get their designs approved. Same goes for South Granville/Marpole and Oak Street south areas, SFH are being replaced by townhouses and apartments like crazy cause the area was rezoned decades ago and now developers want to redevelop and can do without years of trying to get it started.

This Bonnie Doon looks pretty good. Long buildouts suck but we have a few in Burnaby that won't be complete till the 2030's

Comment

• ^They weren't rezoned, they were designated for higher density under the Cambie Corridor Plan. They still had to go through the rezoning process, they just had justification from the city to do so.

The issue is that in Edmonton until there are restrictions on greenfield it will always be easier and cheaper to built new suburbs than infill development. Because of the geographic restrictions and the ALR infill development is bascially the only new development happening in Vancouver.

Comment

• Originally posted by maclac View Post
        Your "mom" said? Wow, you truly are indeed a "spudly." I take it for granted that most of us on here have have had our nuts drop already......lol
        hahahaha holy shiiiit this guy a dicccccck

Comment

• A commentary on malls in general but with a particular focus on Bonnie Doon

Transforming cities can start with transforming malls, say planners

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• So I find it funny that they have opened the new permanent entrance to the mall parking lot in front of Makami (former Sears) but they have also kept open the old entrance still open just yards away to the south.
            LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• They’ll close that when the LRT gets done.
              "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Funny thing is though, if they close it now they can actually get more work done.
                LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Tony Roma's is shut down in Bonnie Doon. They couldn't pay the rent.

(p.s. The notice below was posted on the front entrance door of Tony Roma's)

https://twitter.com/yegchan/status/1179858797751193600
                  Last edited by North Guy66; 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM. Reason: source of the notice

Comment

• Couldn't or wouldn't? That place was always packed the one time per year we ventured there at Christmas time cuz the Santa there was apparently the best out of any Mall Santa......seemed to attract all the blue hairs in the area.....had dinner there once...seemed grimy and greasy.....Roma's are franchised right? So the franchisee could be just as grimy and greasy as his restaurant.....

Comment

• When it first opened in the mall 20 years ago, you had to wait in the bar area to get a table.

Now the business is dead, partly because of the mall itself. But mostly because Tony Roma's couldn't keep up with the changing food scene in Edmonton.

The baby boomers who supported the restaurant are in heart attack zone.

Millennials and new Canadians prefer a lighter diet than a slab of red meat.

If one craves smoked meat, they go to MEAT or other independent specialty steak houses. As maclac mentioned, TR was corporate, franchise meh.
                      Last edited by North Guy66; 03-10-2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Their food is typically pretty awful. They definitely cater to an older market, which should be obvious given that Brian Hall has been their main spokesman in Edmonton for years. The one at Westmount is fairly depressing to go to, as it's typically 90% empty and the only customers are sharing a $12 lunch combo or similar. I'm always surprised that it and the one on St. Albert Trail/137th have lasted as long as they have. Although I guess there's not really a lot of restaurant options around Westmount other than BP's, and the one on 137th probably gets decent movie theater traffic.

Comment

• ^^^ The Bonnie Doon TR was a corporate owned site. They are part of the Albert's Group of Restaurants.

I spoke to the bartender at Albert's. She said ownership was planning to close down TR at the end of October but last night mall management changed the locks.

Employees were given notice of the closing for the end of the month. But now that they closed 3 weeks earlier, I wonder if they will get severance?
                          Last edited by North Guy66; 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Right right....I heard that Albert's owned them - don't think they have all the city locations - after all - West Ed's is recently reno'd. But that makes sense - since Albert's seem to be mostly located in either dying malls - ie, Capilano and/or dying strip malls - think of the one on 99st and 51st ave......good - hope they all disappear. Oh well, who wants to spend $30 on a rack of ribs anymore......

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                              Their food is typically pretty awful. They definitely cater to an older market, which should be obvious given that Brian Hall has been their main spokesman in Edmonton for years. The one at Westmount is fairly depressing to go to, as it's typically 90% empty and the only customers are sharing a $12 lunch combo or similar. I'm always surprised that it and the one on St. Albert Trail/137th have lasted as long as they have. Although I guess there's not really a lot of restaurant options around Westmount other than BP's, and the one on 137th probably gets decent movie theater traffic.
                              The Tony's at Calgary trail and 51 ave. is doing excellent business. The parking lot is always near full. That location has the benefit of being on the NORTH side of 51 ave. It doesn't have to compete with all the various establishments at Southpark and further south.

That may change somewhat when a Popeye's opens behind the Cedar Park Inn.

Comment

• Just an FYI. The west ed location closed in September. Pretty sure they will all be closed in the very near future.

Comment

Working...
                                X