Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ICE District Developments | Under Construction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ^uhhh F-off. Paved and landscaped, or no parking lot.

    Comment


    • How bout this instead. A building similar to the old Staples building, something cheap and plain that can temporarily house a business or two for a few years till they are willing to build a proper podium and highrise.
      LRT is our future, time to push forward.

      Comment


      • If they want parking it should follow the bylaw - paved, lighting and landscaping. That's the rules, play within it.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ChrisD View Post
          If they want parking it should follow the bylaw - paved, lighting and landscaping. That's the rules, play within it.
          i think the actual rules are no non-accessory parking so it’s not a matter of playing within them, it’s a matter of how far outside them they will be allowed to play.
          "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

          Comment


          • ^Non-accessory parking is Discretionary in the AED Zone:

            https://webdocs.edmonton.ca/InfraPla...trict_Zone.htm

            Also, the Capital City Downtown Plan recognizes the negative effects of non-accessory parking proliferation. This is the policy direction Planning has been taking with these applications.
            www.decl.org

            Comment


            • Seeing as the bylaws also called for no pedways over 104 ave, I'd say that they're so far outside the rules, they can't even see them from where they are.

              Comment


              • ^That required an City Council to pass an exemption. So ya anything can be changed if City Council wants it to.
                www.decl.org

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
                  How bout this instead. A building similar to the old Staples building, something cheap and plain that can temporarily house a business or two for a few years till they are willing to build a proper podium and highrise.
                  If it actually became a Staples, wouldn't that be ironic after the demise of the one down the street. I actually liked that one, went it to from time to time, it was convenient.

                  However, sadly I think Edmonton only allows 7 11's and Shoppers Drug Marts downtown judging by their proliferation lately.

                  Comment


                  • In addition tot he landscaping requirements of AED Zone, here is Section 55 of the Zoning Bylaw that deals with landscaping requirements for anyone that might be interested:

                    https://webdocs.edmonton.ca/InfraPla...andscaping.htm
                    www.decl.org

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                      Seeing as the bylaws also called for no pedways over 104 ave, I'd say that they're so far outside the rules, they can't even see them from where they are.
                      The pedway in this case was probably not a bad idea to deal with the large crowds coming and leaving events, so I think the city made the right decision here. As to the general prohibition across this Avenue, I don't know why that was as we have a number of pedways elsewhere downtown. Maybe there was a good reason at the time the rule was made (I am thinking before the arena was contemplated for the area) and perhaps there is still a good reason, but the city makes rules, circumstances change and the rules do not always get updated for whatever reasons. Perhaps an exemption was the best solution here.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                        Seeing as the bylaws also called for no pedways over 104 ave, I'd say that they're so far outside the rules, they can't even see them from where they are.
                        the first exemption to that criteria (which was initially embedded in the capital city downtown plan) was given to macewen, not the arena. of course macewen didn’t turn theirs into an electronic billboard.
                        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dave View Post

                          The pedway in this case was probably not a bad idea to deal with the large crowds coming and leaving events, so I think the city made the right decision here. As to the general prohibition across this Avenue, I don't know why that was as we have a number of pedways elsewhere downtown. Maybe there was a good reason at the time the rule was made (I am thinking before the arena was contemplated for the area) and perhaps there is still a good reason, but the city makes rules, circumstances change and the rules do not always get updated for whatever reasons. Perhaps an exemption was the best solution here.
                          Ever been to Madison Square Garden? No pedways there. And we've also got a mass transit station right there. So does MSG, of course on a larger scale.

                          It would be easy enough to simply turn the block between 102 & 103 street into one big crosswalk during arena events. Let the traffic through then people could cross anywhere along the block.

                          But we had to get a big, honking pedway.

                          Comment


                          • At least there are two or three different ways out of Rogers Place. The pedway also serves as a major entrance and foyer. Fans can exit south to 103 Street, or to the Marriott and the pedway network. Of course, many more cross at 102 Street/104 Avenue.
                            "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by kkozoriz
                              Ever been to Madison Square Garden? No pedways there
                              Because it's built over a massive train station with extensive underground links to the subway system and a large bus depot across the street. None of that applies to Rogers Place. Apples and oranges.

                              Comment


                              • I was against the pedway originally as well but once I experienced it, it's a great gathering space, marshals about 7000 folks, great to see the arena without paying, or experience (fingers crossed) playoffs. I don't think there should be pedways everywhere on 104 Ave, but this is actually part of the building itself, not just a place to walk but a gathering space.
                                www.decl.org

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X