Former Royal Alberta Museum - Redevelopment | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Royal Alberta Museum - Redevelopment | Discussion

Has there been any discussion/rumors as to what will happen to the existing Royal Alberta Museum when everything moves over to the new downtown building?

With the historical buildings on the land, is there a use that would fit for repurposing the building?

I think it should be C2E's super fortress of awesomeness where we all meet have beers maybe setup a sumo ring so EDP medwards and PRT can duke it out or somthing lol jk. But seriously i myself would like to know what they would be doing with the land and building.

Comment

I would love to see the asbestos removed, a star theatre added, and Telus World of Science move into it.

TWOS would get their expansion, and a much better location.
      Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

A municipal museum would be cool

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
          I would love to see the asbestos removed, a star theatre added, and Telus World of Science move into it.

Pretty sure that has been removed already. How many renos has this building had in its lifetime?

Comment

Originally posted by AUsenik View Post
            Has there been any discussion/rumors as to what will happen to the existing Royal Alberta Museum when everything moves over to the new downtown building?

With the historical buildings on the land, is there a use that would fit for repurposing the building?
            I think retaining it as a museum would be ideal.
            That, or a School of Architecture.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

It's a beautiful building. It needs a purpose that's special, and keeps drawing people in.

It could stay mostly as it is as a natural history provincial museum, and all the human history/culture/etc can move to the new RAM. There's more than enough material to have both.

Comment

I thought it was going to be converted into a Provincial Government Archive for files and what have you.
                Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

^that would be cool, the current provincial archives is kind of in an odd spot, moving it to this area would have me actually visiting it lol

Comment

Convert it to subsidized low income housing?

Sorry - couldn't resist

In all seriousness a school of architecture, municipal museum or archives are all really great ideas. Although the school keep the space from being enjoyed by all.

Comment

it'd be a great place for a Boston Pizza
                      jk

Comment

Edmonton Heritage Council I believe is on record somewhere that they want to be downtown, and I thought they specifically mentioned prefering not to go into the RAM.

Originally posted by Magnoblade View Post
                        Originally posted by JayBee View Post

Pretty sure that has been removed already. How many renos has this building had in its lifetime?
                        You tell me?

Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Wasn't the provincial archives stored at that south wing in years past before it moved to near Roper Road. So the building should be suitable for that use yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by sundance View Post
                            Wasn't the provincial archives stored at that south wing in years past before it moved to near Roper Road. So the building should be suitable for that use yet again.
                            Yes it was an Archives. There was some rumors that it will be converted into a conference centre. Full commercial Kitchen makes it appealing for that, as well as the theater and the large floors plates.

Comment

The Provincial Archives used to be there. The building they just moved to is probably no more that 7 or 8 years old. Would seem like a big waste to leave that building now. Too bad the timing for building these places, would seem natural for the archives to take over that building. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X