• Source:https://www.chatterblock.com/article...s-in-edmonton/

Look at that scaffolding.
    World class!!!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

• Originally posted by Replacement View Post
      Originally posted by ThomasH View Post
      ^ Judging a book by it's cover...
      Building has been finished for years and its all we got to go on with the exception of rare pictures of the interior that are also underwhelming. This museum is straight up ugly.

Plus isn't it a part of architecture for a building to be attractive anymore? Even in the slightest. This design would look depressing as a High School.
      You offer nothing positive to any thread. You must be a very depressing person to be around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug View Post
        Originally posted by Replacement View Post
        ^ Judging a book by it's cover...
        Building has been finished for years and its all we got to go on with the exception of rare pictures of the interior that are also underwhelming. This museum is straight up ugly.

Plus isn't it a part of architecture for a building to be attractive anymore? Even in the slightest. This design would look depressing as a High School.
        You offer nothing positive to any thread. You must be a very depressing person to be around.
        The only comment you ever make here is attacking other posters. You're always pissing on other posters. You must be fun at parties.

See how generalization works?

Do you really have anything at all to offer other than driveby comments?
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

The contents within a museum have always been the most important part of a museum. Quality displays take time to build. It seems like you want them to hurry up and cheapen the displays to the kind of displays that went into Telus World of Science when it was expanded in the '90s.
          Any museum I've been in opens in segments and with not all galleries open at the start including the Old Provincial Museum and Archives. They could at least open up the facility and galleries that are done which happens with most facilities. For instance the Dioramas typically take the longest to prepare. it isn't necessary for every last exhibit to be ready to open the facility to the public.

In anycase I've seen some pictures of the displays. Trust me the Dioramas will be disappointing compared to the ones at the old museum.

Next, ample displays at the Old Museum were relatively new including the First Nations gallery which was completely redone. Some of this one would think could be re-used in the new facility. Its not like they're opening a museum from scratch. They already have all the stored artifacts and some of the displays and dioramas are being used as is in the new facility.
          You must own a museum since clearly you think their doing it all wrong so please where is your museum and when is it open???

Comment

• "My museum'' is the old Provincial Museum and Archives and yes I loved it as many Edmontonians did and wish to see it repurposed to some museum. Thing is the public were never really canvassed on this. I was never asked by the museum what I preferred. As with EPL, instead the Royal Alberta Museum administration feels it requires ample spending to build something that we already had. I see this as largesse. Whatever level of govt pays what amount of it. Similarly we have a downtown library with a total overhaul after having had massive renovations not long ago.

But in the case of building something brand new, and with all that expense its deplorable that it looks worse than the Facility standing since the 60's. I've made it clear throughout I would rather have just stayed with the old museum.

But now we have a DT museum complete with paid parking requirement, extra paid admission, maybe they can tack on a ticket levy, and its all great because museum staff get something that they wanted. Forgetting maybe what the public wanted.

The Capital City has gone now several years without a Provincial Museum. That's very unfortunate. I don't look at it as a huge positive either that the Museum was supposed to open at the end of 2017 and is still several months from opening now.

There news release that the museum isn't open yet and that Edmontonians can just enjoy Rutherford House or Govt House or Reynolds Museum or some such far away museum was not noting any responsibility or acknowledgement that they have missed their own stated opening time frame. Really theres been no acknowledgement of it at all.
            Last edited by Replacement; 19-02-2018, 10:12 AM.
            "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

"My museum'' is the old Provincial Museum and Archives and yes I loved it as many Edmontonians did and wish to see it repurposed to some museum. Thing is the public were never really canvassed on this. I was never asked by the museum what I preferred. As with EPL, instead the Royal Alberta Museum administration feels it requires ample spending to build something that we already had. I see this as largesse. Whatever level of govt pays what amount of it. Similarly we have a downtown library with a total overhaul after having had massive renovations not long ago.

But in the case of building something brand new, and with all that expense its deplorable that it looks worse than the Facility standing since the 60's. I've made it clear throughout I would rather have just stayed with the old museum.

But now we have a DT museum complete with paid parking requirement, extra paid admission, maybe they can tack on a ticket levy, and its all great because museum staff get something that they wanted. Forgetting maybe what the public wanted.
              The first instinct was to crush it up and turn it into pathway gravel.

Same attitude could be applied to the now old Legislature Building, Macdonald hotel, High Level bridge, the aging City Hall...

New plans for historic Royal Alberta Museum site

“ "The conditions that will prevail once the building is removed can open up all kinds of opportunities," Chomik said.

He said material from the old building can also be incorporated into a new green space design. Stone can be ground into gravel for walking paths, or find a second life as a park bench.

Weather-resistant artifacts left in the museum, such as signs and plaques, can be reused as outdoor decorations.

"Maybe that can be put into the park as a memory of what the building used to be," Chomik said. “

http://www.cbc.ca/1.3475299
              Bolding mine

So - create a park - backing onto - a massive river valley park.
              Last edited by KC; 19-02-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Having the RAM being the bookend of our cultural core is going to be quite amazing, akin to a mini 'mall'.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Will be glad to see most of the stuff in storage out. Loved the recent Globe & Mail article on downtown.
                  Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Comment

• Thanks KC for the above post. Its a constant disappointment that our past buildings are so disrespected. "Ground it into gravel" my, these are where the memories are and I don't know that theres a municipality that less understands that people develop connections with places, buildings, and that they want to continue. That they don't want closed, turned into rubble, vanquished.

Indeed the connection with here is having at least some places that hold the generational memories. Of course a Provincial Museum was a much loved place like that.

What is grossly missing from Chomiks analysis is that a "memory of a place that used to be there" that is no longer there, is uniformly a sad experience. we get this whether we're thinking about the old courthouse, old Library, post office etc. A placard saying this building used to be here is a usual slap in the face to edmontons preserved built heritage.
                    Last edited by Replacement; 19-02-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• I think maybe some background will assist in sharing the concern at the Geologic timescale for this new Museum opening.

The old Ram was still being planned in 1965 and construction started onsite in Summer of 1965. The facility was finished and opened December 6, 1967. COMPLETED as a Centennial project. So just over 2yrs to build the whole thing from scratch, and start up from scratch. The Museum of Alberta used to be a small curated spot in the Alberta Legislature Carillon room.

So that the time frame of that opening was quite impressive and serviced Edmontonians well from the start.

The present RAM Construction was FINISHED August 2016. From indications this won't be open by August 2018 and so 2 years since Construction finished just to curate, move, install the display features. With many of the curated artifacts already accrued, in storage, ready to go.

The old Museum had to accrue, collect specimens from scratch, build the building, design all exhibits from scratch, and open in just over 2yr time frame.

The present building is using past artifacts, using some past displays and is taking over the twice the time from start of construction to opening.

progress...

Now I'll mention that children in this city have not had a Provincial Museum to go to since December 2015. By the time this one opens it could be close to 3yrs without a Provincial Museum in a Capital City. So that if you were say in grade 1 in 2015 your first trip to a Museum is likely in grade 4. That's kind of sad.

Perhaps I feel this way because I was in Grade 1 in 67 when the old Museum was opened and it had ALWAYS been an adjunct to my education and a wonderful place to go to for all those years. A present generation has missed 3yrs not having something like this to experience here. So that age 6, 7, 8yr olds never got the chance, at the age of wonder, to experience something like this. They get it at age 10. A much different experience then.

To me its like cancelling Christmas for 3 yrs but that's how much the old Museum meant to me and still does.
                      Last edited by Replacement; 19-02-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• The old Royal Albert Museum is really not that attractive. It reminds me of a carpet warehouse or some kind of manufacturing plant. The aerial view is not much better. Sure the exhibits and artifacts were great to go see but the building, not so much.
                        The new museum seems lighter, more open, more windows. It is also in a better location for visitors.
                        Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

• The new museum has warmed up on me in terms of design, but there is a wonderful simple elegance above.

Comment

• Well to me the design is simple, simply not there.
                            Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

• Just as a comment I'm aware that Museums need to be fairly dark places and that many exhibits, specimens, artifacts get deteriorated with sunlight or bright lighting. So that I've wondered why the present facility has so many windows. Windows make sense for a lot of facilities. For preservation of antiquities sunlight and bright light makes little sense.

But in anycase the beauty of the old facility is the construction materials inside and out, and with natural relief and not polished smooth boring surfaces. Inside beautiful shale flooring that I always loved in that facility and in Bio sciences and Geology building at U of A. Indeed stepping on sedimentary fossil stone just always seemed like a natural for a museum. The new one has boring flooring which befits how boring the whole building is.

In anycase we love what we love. The Old RAM was an adorable and beloved building that many people miss.

Comment

• ^indeed, but time to move onto a new chapter.

Comment

Working...
                                X