No announcement yet.

Stanley Milner Library Exterior Redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all know the basic structure is not going to change so we are left with the exterior finish and what can be done.

The ribbed effect has to go - Glass, metal with a better finish will have to be looked as an option.

There is no way this structure can or should remain as it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by lpasternak1
      Originally posted by Dark Magnus
      ^typical richy rich st albert response stay in your little valley there bro
      I don't live in St. Albert.
      cute you changed your location

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
        We all know the basic structure is not going to change so we are left with the exterior finish and what can be done.

The ribbed effect has to go - Glass, metal with a better finish will have to be looked as an option.

There is no way this structure can or should remain as it is.
        The material they were installing under the zinc cladding looked sharper. It threw me off. I was thinking (and praying) that it was the real deal and the stuff they have on now was some temporary protective layer.

Maybe we can organize a group to tear off the zinc one night and give the underlay a chance to shine?

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
          Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
          When this structure gets reclad in the near future what are we looking at for cost - 10-20 million?
          it's not going to get reclad in the near future or even in the far-away future.

and even if it did get reclad, that won't change the building structure behind it or the awkward angles in that structure or the circulation within it or the openings in it...

if the cladding was smooth instead of utilizing upstand seams or if it was bright blue or neon pink or lime green, it wouldn't be any more pleasing to the eye than the zinc that's there now (which at least should acquire a patina similar to the zinc on the art gallery of alberta).
          Our prayers are for: Pretty in Patina

Of course, there’s always lime green window framing. It’s a proven solution on stacked boxes.

Google: mod exterior lime green and then check out the images
          Last edited by KC; 22-08-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
            Originally posted by KC View Post
            Originally posted by thatguy View Post
            of course no one will be fired/ be disciplined. it's the city of edm, after all. i love this town, but it's getting more difficult each passing day to root for it. not when there's such incompetence at the top of civic leadership. i truly get the feeling that city hall and those who work for the city in edm tower are completely disconnected from reality.
            I wouldn’t be surprised if it wins some award.
            I'm sure it will. They have the Razzies for awful films, as well as Rotten Tomatoes. The award this creature gets will fall into the same type of dubious distinction.
            You’re missing my point. Pick any year and google the architectural award winners. Ours is a shoo-in for some amazing sounding award.
            Check out all these beauties:

97 Winners for the International Architecture Awards | ArchDaily
            https://www.archdaily.com/38339/97-w...tecture-awards

Comment

• ^ saw the link.

Egad!
              Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-08-2019, 06:31 PM.
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Still like my renovation idea better

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-08-2019, 06:42 PM.
                Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• So Time magazine has named the Calgary library as one of the 100 best places in the world - whatever that means.

Now back to the Edmonton library.

Comment

• I think it would look great to light up the library at night, perhaps with the branding colours.
                    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC View Post
                      Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
                      Originally posted by KC View Post
                      Originally posted by thatguy View Post
                      of course no one will be fired/ be disciplined. it's the city of edm, after all. i love this town, but it's getting more difficult each passing day to root for it. not when there's such incompetence at the top of civic leadership. i truly get the feeling that city hall and those who work for the city in edm tower are completely disconnected from reality.
                      I wouldn’t be surprised if it wins some award.
                      I'm sure it will. They have the Razzies for awful films, as well as Rotten Tomatoes. The award this creature gets will fall into the same type of dubious distinction.
                      You’re missing my point. Pick any year and google the architectural award winners. Ours is a shoo-in for some amazing sounding award.
                      Check out all these beauties:

97 Winners for the International Architecture Awards | ArchDaily
                      https://www.archdaily.com/38339/97-w...tecture-awards
                      I see what you mean. Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say. But in my opinion, garbage is still garbage.

Comment

• A little late to the dead-horse beating party, but I thought a direct comparison of final rendering vs reality would be appropriate, along with EPL's statement from last month:

The final design was approved in September of 2016 by the Edmonton Design Committee and this is the rendering we’ve been using ever since. If you view the building in the day or night, it looks true to this image. While some may still dislike it when it is complete, the building will look different when the space is open and animated, and the site is no longer a construction zone.

...We are surprised that some people are surprised by the building. The final approved design has been public since 2016.
                        In the midst of the past months' drama, the Live Cam page on the EPL website was taken down at some point. If EPL is as confident in the final outcome as they imply, then why are they making it more difficult for the world at large to see the building as it nears completion?

Throughout this revitalization, scope has remained the same as originally outlined in the 2014 capital profile—balancing exterior attractiveness with interior service improvements, addressing safety and building code issues, increasing energy efficiency, while at the same time ensuring fiscal restraint.
                        No doubt, building code & interior renovations etc. were essential. But, when it came to exterior attractiveness, I wonder how many people would have been satisfied with a simple re-clad that didn't change the geometry of the building. Sure, we probably would've ended up with a boring glass box, but would that have been so bad, knowing what we know now?

Comment

• Talk about transferring the blame for final approval ... "final design was approved in September of 2016 by the Edmonton Design Committee ". So blame the EDC if you don't like the design is what the Library Board appears to be saying. Wow!!

Comment

• Designed by a committee, says it all...

I bet they were given 3 choices.

A. Battleship grey
                            B. Slate grey
                            C. Zinc grey

Well what about the overall design? Nope, non-negotiable...
                            Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 25-08-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• God this is embarasing. If this is the finale outcome I got to admit its as ugly af.
                              Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                                Designed by a committee, says it all...

I bet they were given 3 choices.

A. Battleship grey
                                B. Slate grey
                                C. Zinc grey

Well what about the overall design? Nope, non-negotiable...
                                I just bought a used suv. Equally ugly as this angular design but the suv which won some design awards is still ugly and blobular in my mind. (I’d rather have something looking like all those SUVs that are cycling back to the fin look and are incorporating fins into their side body panels.)

Oh and the suv is called “lava grey” as if different names for the shades of grey somehow make them look different. Grey vehicles are visually dominating our streets.
                                Last edited by KC; 25-08-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X