No announcement yet.

Stanley Milner Library Exterior Redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is this remotely acceptable then? Parts of the building then are already deforming and bubbling. Heads better roll.

Comment

• In most countries or cities around the world, many will get fired over a similar project failure....but this is Edmonton where mediocre, over budget and schedule, (and nothing close to original render) will be celebrated as a huge success.

Comment

• Any deforming/bubbling (also called oil-canning) would be covered under warranty and I'd be shocked if it isn't fixed prior to the actual unveiling/opening or shortly after due to winter.

Comment

• I really hope that some viable candidates run against Iveson and McKeen next election.
          Last edited by Aaron_Lloyd; 21-08-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron_Lloyd View Post
            How is this remotely acceptable then? Parts of the building then are already deforming and bubbling. Heads better roll.

It's not a bug, it's a feature. It adds texture.

Comment

• of course no one will be fired/ be disciplined. it's the city of edm, after all. i love this town, but it's getting more difficult each passing day to root for it. not when there's such incompetence at the top of civic leadership. i truly get the feeling that city hall and those who work for the city in edm tower are completely disconnected from reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatguy View Post
                of course no one will be fired/ be disciplined. it's the city of edm, after all. i love this town, but it's getting more difficult each passing day to root for it. not when there's such incompetence at the top of civic leadership. i truly get the feeling that city hall and those who work for the city in edm tower are completely disconnected from reality.
                I wouldn’t be surprised if it wins some award.

Comment

• It’s like they tried to do something interesting with the design on the front. But then they stopped giving a crap and slapped together three boring walls with tiny 90’s style windows for the rest.

Comment

• When this structure gets reclad in the near future what are we looking at for cost - 10-20 million?

Comment

• Originally posted by lpasternak1 View Post
                      It’s like they tried to do something interesting with the design on the front. But then they stopped giving a crap and slapped together three boring walls with tiny 90’s style windows for the rest.
                      Yes, from the side it could easily be mistaken by visitors for our remand centre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
                        When this structure gets reclad in the near future what are we looking at for cost - 10-20 million?
                        it's not going to get reclad in the near future or even in the far-away future.

and even if it did get reclad, that won't change the building structure behind it or the awkward angles in that structure or the circulation within it or the openings in it...

if the cladding was smooth instead of utilizing upstand seams or if it was bright blue or neon pink or lime green, it wouldn't be any more pleasing to the eye than the zinc that's there now (which at least should acquire a patina similar to the zinc on the art gallery of alberta).
                        "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave View Post
                          Originally posted by lpasternak1 View Post
                          It’s like they tried to do something interesting with the design on the front. But then they stopped giving a crap and slapped together three boring walls with tiny 90’s style windows for the rest.
                          Yes, from the side it could easily be mistaken by visitors for our remand centre.
                          The Remand is nicer...
                          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC View Post
                            Originally posted by thatguy View Post
                            of course no one will be fired/ be disciplined. it's the city of edm, after all. i love this town, but it's getting more difficult each passing day to root for it. not when there's such incompetence at the top of civic leadership. i truly get the feeling that city hall and those who work for the city in edm tower are completely disconnected from reality.
                            I wouldn’t be surprised if it wins some award.
                            I'm sure it will. They have the Razzies for awful films, as well as Rotten Tomatoes. The award this creature gets will fall into the same type of dubious distinction.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                              Originally posted by Rocket252 View Post
                              When this structure gets reclad in the near future what are we looking at for cost - 10-20 million?
                              it's not going to get reclad in the near future or even in the far-away future.

and even if it did get reclad, that won't change the building structure behind it or the awkward angles in that structure or the circulation within it or the openings in it...

if the cladding was smooth instead of utilizing upstand seams or if it was bright blue or neon pink or lime green, it wouldn't be any more pleasing to the eye than the zinc that's there now (which at least should acquire a patina similar to the zinc on the art gallery of alberta).
                              Further to this and contradicting everybody's comments about 'cheaping out', I've heard that the zinc used was around $70/sqft. So I feel like there won't be much appetite to replace it.

Comment

• Looks cheap but is actually ridiculously expensive? Sounds on point for Edmonton.
                                Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Working...
                                X