Stanley Milner Library Exterior Redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• I’m so upset with the design of this new library. We’re stuck with this pos for another five decades. Ugh. Of all Canadian cities, why does Edmonton keep building this junk?
      Last edited by Bill; 22-07-2019, 09:17 PM.
      The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
      It's heaven and hell!

Comment

• Bill, as I told kcantor, you're going make maclac cry

With extreme offense man.....could you please cut it out with the negative comments on this thing. Point taken - you hate it - not everyone does.....give it a rest....

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
          Funny that, I was thinking an hour ago that they should cover it with ivy and turn it into a 'green' building...
          Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
            Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
            Originally posted by kcantor View Post
            Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
            Do any of the architects or construction folk on this forum know how much it would be to throw a clear coat with metallic flakes or another layer of paint infused with metallic flakes on the library? I think some shine would go a long way in making it look cooler and less imposing.
            that's kind of like thinking a pontiac aztec or a volkswagen thing could be made beautiful with a new paint job...

the issue is less the material or it's colour than it is the ungainly and awkward proportions and angles of the renovation/addition.

on the other hand, it is one if the few things they could have done that actually makes the library parkade entrance on 100 street look playful and colourful (which probably means it will get redone with the south plaza so as not to show up the library ).
            I know some literal gloss won't cure the overall issues with the structure, but whats done is done. They're not going to spend the money to re-do it for another fifty years. We may be able to convince them to throw an extra coat of paint on it, if its not to expensive. To use your analogy, we're now stuck with the Aztec; would you rather it stay a flat colour, or would your rather we at least glam it up a bit?
            i don't believe it's possible to "glam it up a bit". (a) it is what it is, and (b) anything you try and "glam it up" with is only going to high-light, not hide.

the best thing we can do at this point is give it a fitting nick-name and make the most of it. austin has "keep austin weird", maybe we could see how much we could play up "biblio-tank" or some of the other creative monikers that have been put forward?

maybe we can do an ad campaign like vegas' "what happens in vegas stays in vegas" but ours could feature "tanks for the memories"?

maybe we can sell glass fish-tanks that look like the library?

maybe we can have a black and white and grey film festival?

maybe we can declare the south plaza a grey zone for telling off-color jokes?

maybe we can add a hitching post reserved for the old grey mare?

maybe we could make early grey our civic drink? or do an entire menu featuring early grey?

and maybe while we're at it we can also look at the processes that enabled this to happen in the first place so it doesn't happen again?
            Paint some horizontal lines on it to make it look like rows of books on shelves, with the odd book tilted one way or the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
              Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
              Funny that, I was thinking an hour ago that they should cover it with ivy and turn it into a 'green' building...
              that only works in edmonton 4 or 5 months a year, not the other 7 or 8 (we tried that for hall d). for most of the year you would hardly even see the grey branches in front of the grey zinc.
              "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Hey maclac, can you cut it out with your positive comments on this thing? Many of us don't like it... give it a rest.

Just kidding. I encourage everyone to share their opinions. That's what this place is for. Debate. Discussion. Sharing of Opinions. The world would be a very boring place is we all liked the same thing and shared the same opinions. Regardless of whether you like this project or don't, or are indifferent either way, discussion is good.

MACLAC. If you don't like a poster, just use the ignore function, like SDM has suggested. I'm sure he has me and everyone else on ignore already, unless you have pom-poms out and cheer on everything. "It's okay, its only Edmonton, we can accept mediocrity"
                A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                  kcantor, you're going make maclac cry

With extreme offense man.....could you please cut it out with the negative comments on this thing. Point taken - you hate it - not everyone does.....give it a rest....

"Make me cry?" I'm starting to think that perhaps - you were fired from the EPL system as a page back in the day - cuz you couldn't figure out the "dewey decimal point" system - ergo why you started this "smear campaign" against the Milner and hence trying to get your name in the news?

Comment

• I'm starting to thing maclac works for EPL and can't stand that people don't love the new biblotank.
                    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Originally posted by maclac View Post
                      Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                      kcantor, you're going make maclac cry

"Make me cry?" I'm starting to think that perhaps - you were fired from the EPL system as a page back in the day - cuz you couldn't figure out the "dewey decimal point" system - ergo why you started this "smear campaign" against the Milner and hence trying to get your name in the news?
                      it was the dewey decimal classification (ddc). it was/is sometimes called the dewey decimal system but never - to my knowledge - "dewey decimal point" system and i spent lots of time rifling through those cards on rails in their miniature drawers before it went electronic.

https://mcpl.info/childrens/how-use-...decimal-system
                      Last edited by kcantor; 23-07-2019, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• Funny that you mention that - I did back in the mid 80's - but NO affiliation with them anymore - 1st job - paid $3.86/hr. Ken - pretty sure it was/is still called the "dewey decimal POINT" system.

Comment

• ^

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewe...Classification

Comment

• Never a bad time to reference UHF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

Comment

• Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                              I'm starting to thing maclac works for EPL and can't stand that people don't love the new biblotank.

Bibliotank. I’m starting to like it.

So the design is a nod to our history of book mobiles!

We can add the Milner into the collection:

Or it’s design is symbolic of Edmonton’s history in many other ways (industry, diversity, non-elitism):

Just Getting Started

Hill was not a blushing fan of popular culture. For generations, librar- ians of taste have smuggled smutty crime novels out of the building in their briefcases, careful not to reveal their pop desires. Hill was equally concerned about the dangers_political, social and cultural_of elitism. From the board minutes and from the annual reports it is easy to detect
                              a considerable streak of sensitivity in his writing; Hill constantly argued
                              that libraries were for everyone, not just a highly educated, refined class of Edmontonians with grand houses in the correct neighbourhoods.

He wanted city managers and politicians to understand that this “substantial literature” was moving through every apartment and house in the city, and changing lives. University graduates were taking books from the library but so were plumbers and bricklayers.
                              “The proportion of registered borrowers, with regard to occupation, for example, is closely parallel to the proportion as determined from the city directory. For example, the proportion of mechanics on the library register is about the same as the proportion of mechanics in the direc- tory. This distribution ought to be gratifying to the Board as proving the general usefulness of the institution entrusted to their care. No one class of the community is being favoured at the expense of any other class.”2

Pg. 67-68

“The men and women being displaced by machines and mergers are being displaced faster than our economic structure can absorb them. These surplus unemployed will have to ‘learn or perish.’ There must be some provision for alternative training. The public library is a most important factor in this re-education.”2

Re-education may have been a way out of the Depression, but that didn’t prevent staff shortages and fewer book orders, fewer programs, fewer hours. One of the chief assistants of the Edmonton Public Library and, for a few years, acting chief librarian, Grace Dobie, looked back on the 1930s as a time of surprise and wonder.

“Our greatest circulation and our highest point in purchases were reached during the Depression years, particularly in 1932. It is remark- able how closely our circulation follows prosperity, in an inverse ratio.”3

Pg.99

“When he arrived in Edmonton, Maloney was not impressed by the cultural diversity of the city. Too many people from other places, too much immigration in general, too much racial intermarriage, too much French spoken, too many Catholics. His reading and his recent experi- ences had drawn him to become a member of an American organization called the Ku Klux Klan_based on Anglo-Saxon purity and “moral virtue.”4 At a time of high unemployment, the idea that immigrants were both muddying up the ethnic mix and taking jobs from Edmonton’s accent-less,...”

Pg. 83

“The bill was, of course, unpopular with librarians. If censorship can happen to newspapers it can and will happen in libraries: ...”

Pg. 90

“Hill was having trouble making his plea for support. The staff was thin, and thinning, and the budget for new books was minuscule.

“There was very little controversy,” says historian Tony Cashman. “When Ethelbert Hill was running the library it did not get involved in moulding public opinion. The library, then, was very solemn. A bit more quiet than the church down the street. They were sort of like temples, which is maybe why so many were designed like temples.”
                              Pg 91

https://www2.epl.ca/public-files/boo...tarted_web.pdf
                              Last edited by KC; 23-07-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                                Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                                Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                                that only works in edmonton 4 or 5 months a year, not the other 7 or 8 (we tried that for hall d). for most of the year you would hardly even see the grey branches in front of the grey zinc.
                                It would work if they picked up some fake ivy at the dollar store.

Comment

Working...
                                X