X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
    Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    i'll just leave this here for some reflection

How ironic, with those words being splashed on some bland box piece of crap.
    Well you have to give credit to the guy on the 80 foot step ladder who painted the sign. He took quite a risk. LOL
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 21-07-2019, 08:41 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
      Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
      I weep silently whenever I see this...

But hopefully the interior will make up for the exterior.
      Don's get your hopes up. Expect lots of huge expanses of boringly bare white walls.

Not this

Per the first exterior renders, the interior should be anything but expanses of white walls. Y'see, I have no faith in flight of fancy renders.
      Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

• Do any of the architects or construction folk on this forum know how much it would be to throw a clear coat with metallic flakes or another layer of paint infused with metallic flakes on the library? I think some shine would go a long way in making it look cooler and less imposing.

Originally posted by SVTperformance.com

Comment

• The finale product isn't done yet. I think people are overreacting.
          Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
            Do any of the architects or construction folk on this forum know how much it would be to throw a clear coat with metallic flakes or another layer of paint infused with metallic flakes on the library? I think some shine would go a long way in making it look cooler and less imposing.
            that's kind of like thinking a pontiac aztec or a volkswagen thing could be made beautiful with a new paint job...

the issue is less the material or it's colour than it is the ungainly and awkward proportions and angles of the renovation/addition.

on the other hand, it is one if the few things they could have done that actually makes the library parkade entrance on 100 street look playful and colourful (which probably means it will get redone with the south plaza so as not to show up the library ).
            "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by envaneo View Post
              The finale product isn't done yet. I think people are overreacting.
              What? They are going to add a new smooth layer over the corrugated look? If you're saying wait until the construction is complete and the roadwork is done - and people will see things differently and love - your wrong. The construction clutter is currently a distraction and once removed the ugliness of corrugated panels will stand out further. No amount of lipstick on this pig will improve it other than a new skin. We need a global kickstarter program to raise $$ to replace that barn siding with something befitting the capital city in its most important square. This project is a complete **** up. The Library Board and its yappy President deserve all the criticism they are getting. Frankly fire the CEO.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdmTrekker View Post
                Originally posted by envaneo View Post
                The finale product isn't done yet. I think people are overreacting.
                What? They are going to add a new smooth layer over the corrugated look? If you're saying wait until the construction is complete and the roadwork is done - and people will see things differently and love - your wrong. The construction clutter is currently a distraction and once removed the ugliness of corrugated panels will stand out further. No amount of lipstick on this pig will improve it other than a new skin. We need a global kickstarter program to raise $$ to replace that barn siding with something befitting the capital city in its most important square. This project is a complete **** up. The Library Board and its yappy President deserve all the criticism they are getting. Frankly fire the CEO.

You would expect that from the CEO who only most likely cares about the experience inside (I don't think the CEO comes from a business environment, most likely went up through the ranks). Question is, was this raised in front of City Council to inform them that the exterior is going to look horrible and given that this the most prominent location in the City, they needed to inject some additional$ to rectify the budget shortfalls?

Lot of questions, with very little in terms of meaningful answers. Damage is already done.

Comment

• Maybe coat the library with invisible paint and make it disappear...
                  Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                    Maybe coat the library with invisible paint and make it disappear...
                    With extreme offense man.....could you please cut it out with the negative comments on this thing. Point taken - you hate it - not everyone does.....give it a rest....

Comment

• Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                      Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
                      Do any of the architects or construction folk on this forum know how much it would be to throw a clear coat with metallic flakes or another layer of paint infused with metallic flakes on the library? I think some shine would go a long way in making it look cooler and less imposing.
                      that's kind of like thinking a pontiac aztec or a volkswagen thing could be made beautiful with a new paint job...

the issue is less the material or it's colour than it is the ungainly and awkward proportions and angles of the renovation/addition.

on the other hand, it is one if the few things they could have done that actually makes the library parkade entrance on 100 street look playful and colourful (which probably means it will get redone with the south plaza so as not to show up the library ).
                      I know some literal gloss won't cure the overall issues with the structure, but whats done is done. They're not going to spend the money to re-do it for another fifty years. We may be able to convince them to throw an extra coat of paint on it, if its not to expensive. To use your analogy, we're now stuck with the Aztec; would you rather it stay a flat colour, or would your rather we at least glam it up a bit?

Comment

• Originally posted by maclac View Post
                        Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                        With extreme offense man.....could you please cut it out with the negative comments on this thing. Point taken - you hate it - not everyone does.....give it a rest....
                        Oh, testy are we? Bad day at the office?

Comment

Where's my Like button?
                          Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ustauk View Post
                            Originally posted by kcantor View Post
                            Originally posted by Ustauk View Post

I know some literal gloss won't cure the overall issues with the structure, but whats done is done. They're not going to spend the money to re-do it for another fifty years. We may be able to convince them to throw an extra coat of paint on it, if its not to expensive. To use your analogy, we're now stuck with the Aztec; would you rather it stay a flat colour, or would your rather we at least glam it up a bit?
                            i don't believe it's possible to "glam it up a bit". (a) it is what it is, and (b) anything you try and "glam it up" with is only going to high-light, not hide.

the best thing we can do at this point is give it a fitting nick-name and make the most of it. austin has "keep austin weird", maybe we could see how much we could play up "biblio-tank" or some of the other creative monikers that have been put forward?

maybe we can do an ad campaign like vegas' "what happens in vegas stays in vegas" but ours could feature "tanks for the memories"?

maybe we can sell glass fish-tanks that look like the library?

maybe we can have a black and white and grey film festival?

maybe we can declare the south plaza a grey zone for telling off-color jokes?

maybe we can add a hitching post reserved for the old grey mare?

maybe we could make early grey our civic drink? or do an entire menu featuring early grey?

and maybe while we're at it we can also look at the processes that enabled this to happen in the first place so it doesn't happen again?
                            Last edited by kcantor; 22-07-2019, 05:37 PM.
                            "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

Just put Edmonton PRT on your Ignore List - just about everyone else has done so.
                              Maybe he will finally find a life outside of this forum.
                              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• kcantor, you're going make maclac cry

Comment

Working...
                                X