Stanley Milner Library Exterior Redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Milner Library Exterior Redesign

Drawings envision $56-million proposed makeover for Stanley A. Milner Library

Photo 1/2
    Artists’ rendering of the Stanley A. Milner Library revitalization project.

Photo 2/2
    Artists’ rendering of the Stanley A. Milner Library revitalization project.
    A+
    BY ELIZABETH WITHEY, EDMONTON JOURNAL MAY 8, 2014
    EDMONTON - The Stanley A. Milner Library is one step closer to getting a much-needed facelift that will bring its drab exterior in line with more modern-looking buildings along Churchill Square.

The outdated-looking central library with concrete facade was constructed for Canada’s centennial in 1967, and while the building has a “solid” structure, it needs a makeover, according to Edmonton Public Library CEO Linda Cook.

“We’re looking like the poor cousin on the square,” Cook said Wednesday. “We want to take our rightful place in the square. The library really does need renewal.”

Toronto’s Teeple Architects and Edmonton-based Architecture ATB (Arndt Tkalcic Bengert) have been awarded a joint contract, pending approval and funding from city council this fall. They are the same team redesigning the Clareview Recreation Centre and Library............click link for full story

Link to Edmonton Journal.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...631/story.html
    Last edited by Flynn; 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM.

I'm using iPhone. Please post pics from EJ, somebody. Thanks!

Comment

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...ry/9818632.jpg

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...?size=620x400s
      Last edited by ScottieA; 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM.
      Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

What another waste of money. $1.2MM just to come up with the design. Lets spend this money on the content of the library instead. Or how about doing something with the beggars outside??

Comment

It needs to be redone. Can't say I'm super excited about this particular design. It's those odd angles.
          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

building upgrades, energy savings, modern design. excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by JJMorrocco View Post
              What another waste of money. $1.2MM just to come up with the design. Lets spend this money on the content of the library instead. Or how about doing something with the beggars outside??
              Hhahaha, wow, you a pretty detached from reality there.

I value you your right to say it, but geesh, don't gawk until you research a) how much engineering actually costs a and b)some sort of knowledge about social programs already going on down town.

This is also not an either or expenditure.

I personally use that library 100's of times and never been asked for money. It is being more used as a community centre, yes, by some whom happen to be marginalized citizens. It is a safe place where individuals won't be kicked out. A new improved public space for those clients is a totally different issues than your rhetoric though....

Comment

Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
                I hope they open up the north end of the library more. It's pretty dead and that square is underutilized 90% of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by nick5150 View Post
                  Originally posted by DTrobotnik View Post
                  I hope they open up the north end of the library more. It's pretty dead and that square is underutilized 90% of the year.
                  I think you're thinking of the South side of the building
                  Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

There is nothing at all wrong with the original modernist design.

I would just be happy with the stripping away of the salmon stucco landslide crap put in around fifteen years ago.

Comment

A whiff of Seattle to be sure, but I don't dislike it. I would like to see more angles.
                      I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Comment

I think it looks amazing. As long as the metal siding isn't too overbearing on the square with the AGA also having somethign similar.

Comment

Originally posted by JJMorrocco View Post
                          Would you rather us be Calgary spending 245 million?
                          Last edited by Magnoblade; 08-05-2014, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I like it! It certainly looks like it would cost more than $50M though
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Working...
                            X