Greater Downtown Retail | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Speedy Cantina hasn't been open since about the middle of December (old Elm Cafe). No note if it's going to reopen.
    They've indicated they're taking the winter off on their instagram account & will be back in the spring.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• ^Good to know, thanks.
      www.decl.org

Comment

• I won't really miss them... I went once and the burritos were completely unremarkable. And I usually enjoy the Elm/Black Box's groups offerings!
        “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• ^ Completely agree.

If you haven't tried Rostizado's ghost kitchen restaurant (La Mision), you need to try their burritos. They are the best in the city, hands down. You can only order them for pick-up through the Ritual app or delivery through UberEats.

Comment

• ^ one hundo p agree

Comment

• BaoBao (right above Red Star) is now open for its soft opening (11am - 5pm). Tried out the soup dumplings yesterday and they were delicious. Attentive staff as well. Love being able to have soup dumplings so close to home. Grand opening will be in about 2 weeks or so.

Comment

• Job No 351732802-002
                Description:To construct a 3-storey mixed use building, with a bakery/restaurant on the main floor, and 2 apartment Dwellings on the second and third floor
                Plan NA Blk 15 Lot 4
                Applicant:SPAN ARCHITECTURE INC
                Create Date:1/9/2020 9:37:52 AM

Comment

• Here is some news on Manulife Place.
                  Manulife Place to get $30-million makeover, includes rooftop terrace

https://edmontonjournal.com/business...ooftop-terrace

Comment

• Originally posted by sonicboom View Post
                    Job No 351732802-002
                    Description:To construct a 3-storey mixed use building, with a bakery/restaurant on the main floor, and 2 apartment Dwellings on the second and third floor
                    Plan NA Blk 15 Lot 4
                    Applicant:SPAN ARCHITECTURE INC
                    Create Date:1/9/2020 9:37:52 AM
                    Interesting!
                    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Comment

• Not Downtown specific, but certainly Downtown retail relevant:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-retail-sales-november-2019-data-1.5439388

Sales started to rebound in the summer of 2016 and continued to grow for the next year and a half.

By 2018, sales had started to plateau and then began to decline.

Those declines have continued — and accelerated — in 2019.

University of Calgary economist Trevor Tombe noted on Friday that total sales are now "approaching the same level as at the bottom of the recession."

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
                        Not Downtown specific, but certainly Downtown retail relevant:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-retail-sales-november-2019-data-1.5439388

It certainly explains the increase in empty retail spaces. I guess a change of provincial government hasn't been the economic cure-all the UCP led people to believe.

Now its not just people who work in the energy sector that are unsure about their job or pay security, but people who work in the government and MUSH sectors to. I suppose this is not too surprising, hardly anyone is going to buy a new car with so much economic uncertainty. The rest of Canada seems to be doing ok, the doom and gloom seems concentrated mostly in Alberta.

Comment

• I wonder how much of a chilling effect Jason Kenney's threats against the public sector (including municipalities, education, advanced education, and health care) are having on consumer confidence and spending. If your paycheck depends even partly on public funds, you are probably watching your savings and expenses very carefully.
                          “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• Im delaying all big purchase considerations for at least the next year and cutting back on certain extras, and focusing on increasing the f-off/emergency funds.
                            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• I noticed that there is construction in the empty space between the high rise at Jasper Ave. and 106th, and the building housing Pub 1905. Anybody know what is being built?
                              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• ^I believe it's a new retail unit for a convenience store. But to me it looks more like a new lobby entrance. Hard to tell.
                                www.decl.org

Comment

Working...
                                X