No announcement yet.

Greater Downtown Retail | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the rules can change while you're parked there.

Or, you can just go to WEM or any of the many places that let you park until you're done with your business instead of when "downtown" decides you are.

Comment

• Options are good, including duration.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• This seems like such a bizarre thing to freak out about or criticize, unless you have some endless vendetta against all things downtown as kkozoriz does. I'd agree that the 2hr limit shouldn't extend past say 6-7pm during the week so that people can enjoy a nice dinner and it shouldn't apply on Saturdays at all, but otherwise, street parking during work days should absolutely be turning over more quickly. If you're going to be there for longer than 2 hours, find a lot or parkade. There's plenty of them. Having short duration street parking is standard in any large city.

Comment

• So is the special 2-hour limit just on event nights, or 24/7? I thought the latter, but this is confusing me:

Rogers Place​ Event Nights: $3.50/hr from 5pm-10pm
          Maximum 5-hour parking duration except on Rice Howard Way, 104 Street from Jasper to 104 Avenue, and 103 Street from 102 to 103 Avenue (2 hour maximum)
          Event Parking Region
          “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• 2hr parking applies all of the time that meters are operational in that area, event night or not.

Comment

• Okay. So this is on two streets, both of which I rarely (if ever) park on because the capacity is incredibly limited. This is hardly a big deal.
              “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• not a fan at all of the Saturday hours. Should have left that one alone.

Comment

• As per the above, this has an evaluation process.

Comment

• Waitaminute, from the last slide it seems like EPS officers are going to be responsible for enforcement?

So glad that Downtown has enough police resources that they can spend time as glorified meter maids. Social decline? Unsafe streets? F that, there's parking revenue to squeeze!
                    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Parking beat patrol, not EPS...

Comment

• My bad. Instead of cops they'll just be throwing money at Paladin instead. Amazing that there's room in the budget for increasing the scope of a private contractor in these tough economic times.
                        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• If you're going to a game, find a nice parking lot or parkade and park there if you want to go for more than 2 hrs.

If you're dropping by to pick up something from a local business or doing a quick coffee on 104 Street, for example, that's what the 2 hr. parking is for.
                          www.decl.org

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
                            My bad. Instead of cops they'll just be throwing money at Paladin instead. Amazing that there's room in the budget for increasing the scope of a private contractor in these tough economic times.
                            Huh? These are parking folks, no extra costs or scope... usual patrol, but thanks for always trying to dig and find the negative.

Comment

• Originally posted by IanO View Post
                              Huh? These are parking folks, no extra costs or scope... usual patrol, but thanks for always trying to dig and find the negative.
                              https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...-services.aspx

Due to the wide range of patrolled areas, the parking enforcement program is contracted out. Currently, the Paladin Security Group holds the contract.
                              Emphasis mine.

Comment

• Yes, but again, these are the same patrols, nothing new or extra.

Comment

Working...
                                X