No announcement yet.

Greater Downtown Retail | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used to blame WEM for the lack of retail Downtown, but now I'm okay with the trade off that's been made.

The snowballing of WEM into its present form created a unique retail nexus that has allowed Edmonton to be an entry point for many stores/brands that we wouldn't otherwise have had exposure to. Downtown would never have afforded the same opportunities.
    Last edited by noodle; 09-10-2019, 11:25 AM. Reason: accidentally a letter.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

• Downtown will benefit greatly from WEM's successes when Valley Line West is complete. Direct train connection between those two locations is a game changer. Same with the gondola and Whyte (if it happens).

Comment

• WEM is there. Advocated for the past decade for west LRT to be built. WEM is a draw for new international retailers to Edmonton, as a Downtown dweller, I want to be able to take transit there.
        www.decl.org

Comment

• you can take transit there... and it will take about the same amount of time as the current proposed LRT will.
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Downtown dwellers have had multiple transit (bus) choices for the decade+ I've lived here in Oliver - they all pass within 0-4 blocks from me.
            I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
              KEY FINDINGS, INCREMENTAL IMPACT, 1986 – 2006
              • Direct incremental expenditures in Alberta by visitors to West Edmonton Mall® (WEM) were $12.9 billion.
              • WEM provided incremental value added (income) of $17.1 billion.
              • WEM provided total of 350,000 incremental person years of employment. This involves a sustained employment of 24,000 incremental full-time job equivalents.
              • WEM provided incremental labour income of $10.1 billion.
              • WEM generated incremental tax collection of $3.5 billion by the federal government.
              • WEM generated $1.15 billion in incremental provincial taxes which the Government of Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
              • WEM generated $470 million in incremental local taxes which the local governments in Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
              • For every dollar spent in WEM, $1.25 is spent by the same tourists outside the Mall.
              https://triplefive.com/en/pages/wem/economic-benefits
              And we didn't have to build the mall for the Ghermazians!

Comment

• Originally posted by noodle View Post
                I used to blame WEM for the lack of retail Downtown, but now I'm okay with the trade off that's been made.

The snowballing of WEM into its present form created a unique retail nexus that has allowed Edmonton to be an entry point for many stores/brands that we wouldn't otherwise have had exposure to. Downtown would never have afforded the same opportunities.
                i never did blame wem...

neil crawford centre on the other hand continues to get away with taking no responsibility for what it's primarily responsible for.

along with many of the poor choices we made in building (or not building) our public realm and in maintaining (or not maintaining) our public realm.
                "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by kkozoriz View Post
                  Originally posted by noodle View Post
                  KEY FINDINGS, INCREMENTAL IMPACT, 1986 – 2006
                  • Direct incremental expenditures in Alberta by visitors to West Edmonton Mall® (WEM) were $12.9 billion.
                  • WEM provided incremental value added (income) of $17.1 billion.
                  • WEM provided total of 350,000 incremental person years of employment. This involves a sustained employment of 24,000 incremental full-time job equivalents.
                  • WEM provided incremental labour income of $10.1 billion.
                  • WEM generated incremental tax collection of $3.5 billion by the federal government.
                  • WEM generated $1.15 billion in incremental provincial taxes which the Government of Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
                  • WEM generated $470 million in incremental local taxes which the local governments in Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
                  • For every dollar spent in WEM, $1.25 is spent by the same tourists outside the Mall.
                  https://triplefive.com/en/pages/wem/economic-benefits
                  And we didn't have to build the mall for the Ghermazians!
                  wellllll about that.... You may want to look a bit deeper on that. We may not have built them a mall... but look at the whole thing with ATB and the whole thing with Eatons Center downtown...
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• It doesn't come anywhere near $600 million in 2019 dollars

Comment

• Interesting read

Hardware Grill closure:

https://edmontonsun.com/life/food/hi...hardware-grill

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenSPACE View Post
                        I don't think anyone is disputing that. We're all on the same page.
                        Well, only a couple of us have an unhealthy fixation on a single poster and make use of every opportunity, no matter how tenuous, to wage message board jihad against them. But otherwise, sure, all on the same page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                          you can take transit there... and it will take about the same amount of time as the current proposed LRT will.
                          I'm not even sure why it is - probably rider experience all things considered, but I've always preferred the train over the bus here in Edmonton. I moved downtown 15+ years ago just so I could take the train instead of the bus to the U, for example. I actually wonder how many people are like me, that almost enjoy taking the train, but will not set foot on a transit bus.
                          Last edited by ronron; 09-10-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Contrary to a couple of rumors, Crunch Fitness at Jasper Ave/103 St is alive and kicking. Though it doesn't look as busy as it was during the heydays of Club Fit.
                            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• The simple issue for me shopping downtown is weather or not I can go somewhere closer to where I live. If its closer I go there, otherwise I go to where it is in the city. Or when I am working downtown at Rogers Place or Winspear or the convention center or the Citadel, I am more than happy to frequent downtown establishments. Thats why I always am glad to see more unique stores able to set up downtown which forces me to go to the city center.
                              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by ronron View Post
                                Originally posted by Medwards View Post
                                you can take transit there... and it will take about the same amount of time as the current proposed LRT will.
                                I'm not even sure why it is - probably rider experience all things considered, but I've always preferred the train over the bus here in Edmonton. I moved downtown 15+ years ago just so I could take the train instead of the bus to the U, for example. I actually wonder how many people are like me, that almost enjoy taking the train, but will not set foot on a transit bus.
                                And most people do - people have no problem taking trains versus buses.

Comment

Working...
                                X