No announcement yet.

Greater Downtown Retail | Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^ +1 on Edmonton's addiction to free parking downtown because of its historically large collection of empty lots.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

• Manulife Place news:
      - they are in the process of replacing their railings and I'm told they should be done next month
      - Vandenberg's is finally ready to relocate to a bigger space where Birks was
      - not sure what's happening to the old Kissara space, I hope they are done soon because that hoarding is blocking half the entry to Commerce Place
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
        Well I think to a certain degree it is mindset that is also a problem. I found that if your in a really big city it is only natural that the best option when working in the downtown is to commute via transit. Edmonton also has been spoiled for way too long of having free parking for as long as we have had in the downtown, now that most of that has transformed Edmontonians are finding it difficult to get used to. In a car/truck centric population it is definitely going to be a fight for awhile.
        As for the issue of homeless and transients in the downtown core, I feel that this is just another issue that our small town mentality have to get used to. Compared to so many other much bigger cities we don't have a problem. The city should try to lessen the issues but the problem is still at manageable levels.

Anyways hopefully with some of the new projects coming online soon or that have started already the liveability and usability will continue to improve. I do hope that TransEd can get their act together and finish off parts of the LRT project, especially at the very end of the line so that the core can be brought back to a little bit of normalcy. Same thing with the pool in front of city hall, as I think they are now officially behind schedule which just compounds the issues in the core.
        But we are not a "really big city". I suppose you can reduce the number of traffic lanes to create congestion and get rid of a bunch of parking lots for a variety of reasons in the hopes that everyone will just take transit, but you can not force congestion on people. The alternative is people will just start to avoid the area if it is too inconvenient and go elsewhere. In a really big city, like New York they have enough residents living downtown to create the demand for many retailers and a fairly good subway system for commuters, which because they are a really big city they can afford the per capita cost. We are a mid size city which whether intended or not seems to be doing its best to discourage people from going downtown and then wonders why it is struggling.

Comment

• ^The other factor influencing local attitudes is that traffic outside of the brief rush hour periods is pretty light compared to larger cities. The duration of congestion is also shorter as well. Outside of the perceived inconvenience of finding ample cheap parking driving is relatively pain free in Edmonton.
          Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• Originally posted by norwoodguy View Post
            ^The other factor influencing local attitudes is that traffic outside of the brief rush hour periods is pretty light compared to larger cities. The duration of congestion is also shorter as well. Outside of the perceived inconvenience of finding ample cheap parking driving is relatively pain free in Edmonton.
            How long is brief? what is light? what is larger city? What makes you call a delay a "perceived" inconvenience rather than an inconvenience?

I don't think someone in Millwoods or Sherwood Park cares that traffic is much more congested in Toronto or Tokyo, your perceived inconvenience is their real time and if it becomes more inconvenient or too difficult they may avoid certain parts of the city.

Comment

• Greta should be opening on Friday, September 20
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Tis the opening night...

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

• Yum!

https://twitter.com/Daveography/stat...937199104?s=20
                  www.decl.org

Comment

• Well that's a nice surprise.

Comment

• I bet that'll do killer business.
                      “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Comment

• That's actually the most practical item that this place can offer. Complex food has a hard time at that location, onion cakes will simply come off the grill en masse.

Comment

• Dagu is now open on Jasper/104 in the Cecil Building.

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg/status/1174403306266841089
                          @DBAyeg

Comment

• Onion cakes definitely a good street food for Edmonton.
                            Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Comment

• If the Green Onion Cake Man's original location on Alberta Ave is any indication, it will do quite well. I can imagine the lineups on the street at noon hour.

Comment

• But unless they decide to fancy up the service of the onion cakes, they'll be really quickly moving lines.

I remember getting perogy lunches when that location first opened. It took forever to put together the order (it's a problem with some of the food trucks also) so if there was a line it barely moved.

I'll probably be one of their frequent customers (work in ATB/Telus bldg).

Comment

Working...
                                X